Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo in September?

Travels

Time of past OR future Camino
18th september
Hi,
I want to start the Camino Primitivo on September 18th. Is this a good time to start the Camino or is in better to go in an earlier month next year eg. June or july to start the Camino Primitivo? (Because of the weather conditions!)

Did anyone walk the Primitivo starting mid september in previous years? If so, what are your experiences? And do you have other information for me?

Thank you!

Travels

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi,
I want to start the Camino Primitivo on September 18th. Is this a good time to start the Camino or is in better to go in an earlier month next year eg. June or july to start the Camino Primitivo? (Because of the weather conditions!)

Did anyone walk the Primitivo starting mid september in previous years? If so, what are your experiences? And do you have other information for me?

Thank you!

Travels
My daughter and I started in Irgun early September 2016 and arrived at Oviedo about a week later. It turned out to be an ideal time of year on the Primitivo. A few hot days of road walking ( shit walking as my daughter would say) and one day of rain. Otherwise nice weather with beautiful clear skies. Not too many people so a big shock when we hit the Frances at Melide!

I walked two times Primitivo. The first one in late September and the second one in early May. Two excellent periods. If possible I’d avoid early September because of possible crowd. Great Camino, good idea. Buen camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My daughter and I started in Irgun early September 2016 and arrived at Oviedo about a week later. It turned out to be an ideal time of year on the Primitivo. A few hot days of road walking ( shit walking as my daughter would say) and one day of rain. Otherwise nice weather with beautiful clear skies. Not too many people so a big shock when we hit the Frances at Melide!
Thank you Arch!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi,

Thank you!

Travels
I actually started the Camino Salvador, a historic 7 day Camino that terminates in Oviedo and intersects with the Primitivo which I then hiked in mid-September to Santiago Compostela , arriving there around October 15th. On the Primitivo the weather was mostly dry, the nights were chilly but not too cold except at the high elevations where blankets were available in the albergues. There were few “completos”,meaning no available beds, in the mountains there are fewer towns therefore greater distances and fewer accommodations but the beauty of the landscape surpasses the inconveniences encountered. I do not recall much rain. And encountered very few other hikers until the route intersected the Frances a couple of days outside of SC when it became Like walking through a Central Park - many people.

All in all, the Primitivo in the fall is a must.

I actually started the Camino Salvador, a historic 7 day Camino that terminates in Oviedo and intersects with the Primitivo which I then hiked in mid-September to Santiago Compostela , arriving there around October 15th. On the Primitivo the weather was mostly dry, the nights were chilly but not too cold except at the high elevations where blankets were available in the albergues. There were few “completos”,meaning no available beds, in the mountains there are fewer towns therefore greater distances and fewer accommodations but the beauty of the landscape surpasses the inconveniences encountered. I do not recall much rain. And encountered very few other hikers until the route intersected the Frances a couple of days outside of SC when it became Like walking through a Central Park - many people.

All in all, the Primitivo in the fall is a must.
Thank you Tar!

Hi,

Thank you!

Travels
Thank you for the question! We think about Salvador+Primitivo next year and we cannot choose the month. I thought that July is the best time because of less rain (weather cite) but now I am not sure as this year the summer is very hot.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,

Thank you!

Travels
Hello, I walked into Santiago on 10/7/2019 after 12 day on the Primitivo from Oviedo. I had one day of off and on rain and drizzle into Pola and one morning of chilly fog and drizzle high up in the mountains.
Other then that it was a beautiful walk, with chilly starts and fine sunny afternoons! And yes to quote Tar Heel making the turn in Melide onto the Frances was like walking in Central Park.
IMG_1250.jpg

Thank you for the question! We think about Salvador+Primitivo next year and we cannot choose the month. I thought that July is the best time because of less rain (weather cite) but now I am not sure as this year the summer is very hot.
I am happy that i could help you ;-)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.