Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo in the Rain

nreyn12

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked (2005) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010) (2011) (2012) (2013) (2014) (2015); Guide 2013-2016
Hi all,

I am due to start the Camino Primitivo on Sunday...in the rain. And then the forecast for the week looks quite wet.

I admit, true confession, I am a fair weather pilgrim. And I have the luxury of being in Spain in both the spring and the fall each year when I come to start groups on the Camino Frances, so I can delay or postpone this walk if I choose.

So...can anyone tell me their experiences with walking the Primitivo in the rain? Are there enough places to find cover, or will it be long stretches slogging along without breaks? Are hot showers the norm in the albergues on this route? Will I miss out on most of the beauty of the route if my head is down watching the trail, or if I am sliding along in mud?

Thank you all for any info you can share!

xo
Nancy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did all my Primitivo with sunny days. There was mud in some places, but easy to pass except for the stretch before Tineo (500 mts?) (by the way don't try to avoid it going through the surrounding meadows, you could have problems to return to the Camino !).

If the rain is going to reduce the beauty of this Camino. Who knows, sometimes, the mist associated with rain increases the beauty of forests and mountains.

Let me give you a piece of advice: In case of rain, fog or strong winds do not do the Hospitales variant, even if your family Camino is going to do it. The Pola de Allande variant is also very nice, but more protected by the surrounding mountains. In case of rain, after passing Puerto del Palo you better walk the road till Montefurado.

Sorry, I don't know anything about albergue conditions because. I always was in hostales (20-25 euros with breakfast included, San Román 17, Berducedo 35).

Buen Camino.
Bo Camiño

Hola Nancy.
Terry had to follow CSJ advice in 2009 and walk the road (AS-14) between Pola de Allande and Grandas de Salime, via Berducedo. The mist and rain made off road walking bad. In 2012 the track was fine and the view wonderful. After Alto de Acebo (2012) the only shelter we could find, when sudden heavy rain came on, was under the road at the side of the new elevated walkway.

Our personal opinion would be to defer and hope for better weather as there is not enough shelter in really bad weather.

Hot showers, Terry had no problems in the albergues. When together we used some private accomodation, there is a fantastic pension in Tineo where we spent our last 2 nights in 2010 and started from in 2012.

Attachments

• Puerto de Palo 2009.JPG
    Puerto de Palo 2009.JPG
    600 KB · Views: 17
  • Puerto de Palo 2012.JPG
    Puerto de Palo 2012.JPG
    881.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Taking shelter.JPG
    Taking shelter.JPG
    650.7 KB · Views: 15
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Nancy,

I walked the Primitivo last year - end of July into August. Luckily there was only one day of rain but it was a doozy! Light misty rain I kind of enjoy, but on this day it was absolutely pouring between Lugo and San Roman da Retorta. We had intended to go as far as Ferreira that day but stopped in San Roman because conditions were so bad. The albergue was full of soggy fellow pilgrims who had made the same choice. It was tough for one day and I wouldn't want to spend many consecutive days on the Primitivo in the rain. Some of the stretches can be quite long with the bars and shelter not as frequent as the Frances. The beautiful views are what kept me going on some of the longer tougher days, so I think it would be hard not to have that as the incentive.

All that being said though...if you've already made your plans....predicting the weather is a tricky business. Never any guarantees there. Hot showers were always available.

All the best in whatever you decide!

Thanks, all! I am headed to Oviedo today from Pamplona to see how it all feels. I have a back-up plan if the weather is truly terrible, but I am going with the intention to walk the Primitivo. Yikes, the nerves!

Thanks, all! I am headed to Oviedo today from Pamplona to see how it all feels. I have a back-up plan if the weather is truly terrible, but I am going with the intention to walk the Primitivo. Yikes, the nerves!
Nancy we have sent you a PM -in the 'food' conversation.
Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
At the very last minute I decided not to walk the Primitivo this spring. I later learned that I'd made the right choice, when I met some pilgrims in O Pedrouza who had come that way. I forgot to ask on this forum if the albergues had heat and blankets, and these pilgrims told me that most albergues on the Primitivo didn't. As I have only a silk sleep sack, I don't think I would have enjoyed the albergues much!

Thank you to all who shared information and tips - I will use them all one day!

xo
Nancy

Hi there ! I just got back, finished the Primitivo on June 5th . . . I had four days with a lot of rain . . . I opted not to bring a poncho, just a rainproof jacket, and honestly, that was a mistake. When it pours all day like that a poncho is effective in keeping much dryer than without, in addition, consider gaiters . . .. even when the rain diminished, walking in long wet grass soaked my shoes to the point they took three days to dry completely . . . The only downside is the weight; if you can find light weight equipment, in my opinion well worth it.
Enjoy the route, it's stunning !!

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Some people walk in the rain; others just get wet :D

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back