A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Camino Primitivo, July 2019

AndreasGL

Camino(s) past & future
None, so far
Hi,

I'm doing the Primitivo in early July - together with a friend of mine.

Can anyone tell me the exact distance between Oviedo and Santiago de Compostela? I have read 310, 320, 340 and 365 km. We are doing the Hospitales Route :)

Elle Bieling

Elle Bieling, PilgrimageTraveler
Camino(s) past & future
Inglés, '14 '17 Finisterre, '14 '17 '18 Primitivo, '15 '18 Portuguese, '17, '18 San Salvador, '18
Good question! My GPS measured 310 but the Compostela from the Pilgrim's Office says 342. I am more likely to trust my GPS. Take that for what it is worth! To see my tracks, click: Camino Primitivo.

FSP

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPP - SDC (2013)
CP Porto - Finisterre (Coastal & Spiritual Variant) 2016
Norte Irun-Muxia 2018
Hi Andreas, keep in mind that in most instances the distance isn't corrected for ascents and descents which can make a big difference in the daily distance you will actually walk. That's why it's important to look at the elevation diagrams shown in most guides. One comment you will frequently hear on the camino is " this was much further than the kms listed." Indeed it probably was. For example, the distance on the Finisterre from Negreira to Olveiroa is 33.8 km, adjusted for elevation changes it is actually 36.9km. Add a few km per day over the stretch of many camino paths and it adds up in a big way.

Last edited:

zrexer

Camino(s) past & future
2014, 15,16 & 19 Camino Frances
2017 Camino Portuguese
2018 Camino Primitivo
My Brierley Camino summary page says 320 km's. But on many days my wife and I questioned whether a Spanish kilometer is the same length as a non-Spanish one?
Obviously we were not being serious, but it seemed that based on our pace which is pretty consistent, some days on various Camino sections seemed a lot longer than what the published distance for that segment would indicate.

shubertj

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2012, 2013, 2018 Portuguese 2014 Ingles, Finisterre/Muxia 2017
Primitivo 2019
I am doing it on May!! Can't wait.... I am pretty sure the Camino Primitivo is about 320 kms!
Kimberley,
We 3 of us from Houston will be leaving Oviedo 4/30 hope to see you on the trail.

nickp

Camino(s) past & future
Primitive Camino (2019)
Kimberley,
We 3 of us from Houston will be leaving Oviedo 4/30 hope to see you on the trail.
Saw the Houston shoutout so i had to chime in, I'm taking on the primitive as my first camino, leaving Houston to arrive in Oviedo May 21st. Cannot wait!

O Peracha

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago (2014)
Annapurna Base, Nepal (2014)
GR 5 - Holland to Pompey, France (2015)
Lisbon to Finesterre (2016)
Did someone say Houston? Also doing the Primitivo this year but starting in Toulouse Apr 30th.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 142 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 236 24.8%