Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo map

sashil

Hello,

We need a detailed camino primitivo map - where can we download it? Please let me know, I cant find it anywhere... :-(

thank you!

Anna

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
http://www.caminosantiagoastur.com. Go on to las etapas after clicking on the link, you then have a submenu, click on primitivo, you then have several etapas you can click, and all of them once you have gone there has a further option of a map and profile of each section. If you want contact details of all the albergues click on informacion after you have clicked on the link.

Thanks for the question and to Mike, Annie and Falcon for their answers. This is all useful info for us too.
Is there any GPS map available for the Camino Primitivo.....I actually don't know how to ask the question. Let me try this.
While walking the English coast to coast walk last year, I met a Dutch couple that had a Handheld GPS device with the trail on it. They simply followed the trail stage by stage.
Is there something like that existing for Camino Primitivo?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Try wikiloc or
Traildino search for camino Primitivo

Pm me if you have no luck

Is there any GPS map available for the Camino Primitivo.....I actually don't know how to ask the question. Let me try this.
While walking the English coast to coast walk last year, I met a Dutch couple that had a Handheld GPS device with the trail on it. They simply followed the trail stage by stage.
Is there something like that existing for Camino Primitivo?

Hi, Brendan,
I'm not a GPS expert by any means, but I do carry downloaded tracks when I walk remote caminos. I have never downloaded the tracks for the Primitivo because it is so well marked, though. I have found that the best website for tracks for camino routes in Spain is wikiloc.com. That is the site that most Spaniards seem to use. If you go there you can find tracks for the Primitivo. You can download and then transfer to a GPS.

The problem with downloading one track for the entire Camino Primitivo is that the device is limited in terms of the number of "waypoints" it can incorporate per track. So the longer the track you download, the fewer points per km (and thus less accuracy and detail) you are going to get.
That's why you're going to find that the tracks on the website are all in shorter stages. There's a good search function though.

I will add some unsolicited advice here, sorry. I have seen many people walking with their heads in their GPS. I didn't want to be that person, so I made "rules" for myself. Keep the device in my side pocket on the pack. Remove it only when I am at an unmarked intersection or when I have been walking for a long time without seeing an arrow. And never use it on well-marked caminos. I remember last year that when I finished up with the Ebro/Castellano-Aragones/San Olav and got to the Salvador/Primitivo, it was a bit unnerving at first not to have the GPS, but there is really no need for it and walking without it is much more fun, IMO.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Brendan,
I'm not a GPS expert by any means, but I do carry downloaded tracks when I walk remote caminos. I have never downloaded the tracks for the Primitivo because it is so well marked, though. I have found that the best website for tracks for camino routes in Spain is wikiloc.com. That is the site that most Spaniards seem to use. If you go there you can find tracks for the Primitivo. You can download and then transfer to a GPS.

The problem with downloading one track for the entire Camino Primitivo is that the device is limited in terms of the number of "waypoints" it can incorporate per track. So the longer the track you download, the fewer points per km (and thus less accuracy and detail) you are going to get.
That's why you're going to find that the tracks on the website are all in shorter stages. There's a good search function though.

I will add some unsolicited advice here, sorry. I have seen many people walking with their heads in their GPS. I didn't want to be that person, so I made "rules" for myself. Keep the device in my side pocket on the pack. Remove it only when I am at an unmarked intersection or when I have been walking for a long time without seeing an arrow. And never use it on well-marked caminos. I remember last year that when I finished up with the Ebro/Castellano-Aragones/San Olav and got to the Salvador/Primitivo, it was a bit unnerving at first not to have the GPS, but there is really no need for it and walking without it is much more fun, IMO.

Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for info and advice.
Site is excellent!
I must admit, in all my walks, I have never used a GPS device ......too much to see and enjoy...... and I suspect that I probably will only use it here as Laurie suggests.
I just received a Garmin GPSMAP 64s as a gift and I want to set it up #1. As a backup and #2 probably so I can feel hi-tech.

Really do appreciate the replies.
BUEN CAMINO

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.