Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo or continue on the Norte?

Kjack2222

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2017
Hello all,

I'm currently working on planning my next Camino, I mean to do the Norte, but I'm trying to decide how I should finish the trail. Should I continue all the way along the Norte to Santiago, or branch off on the Primitivo to get to Santiago? Any differences in terms of feel, terrain difficulty, historicity, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Kjack!
When I walked the Norte the decision was easier for me because I had already walked the Primitivo - so I stayed on the Norte.
You can decide on the day - lots of people did. Most people I had met on the Norte choose to head off to the Primitivo so it was very quiet on the Norte after the split.
The Primitivo is busier and more mountainous. The Norte is beautiful too - and you walk through some interesting villages. From my experience, the walking is less strenuous on the second part of the Norte BUT the Primitivo is so worth it for the beauty.
Sorry I haven’t been much help except to say - there’s no wrong decision, they’re both beautiful!
Burn Camino

See how you feel when you get to Villaviciosa. When we walked the Norte we were planning to turn onto the Primitivo, but as one of us was not so fit, we continued on the coast. I've not regretted it - the walk from there we really enjoyed. Fabulous seafood! Also much less walked - most people seemed to turn onto the Primitivo. Which meant it was easier getting accommodation, with no overcrowding or rush for the albergues. (it was in spring). Particularly enjoyable is the section from Ribadeo south - would not have missed that for quids.

Since then I've also walked the Primitivo and it is lovely. But very strenuous. Mountains and mountain scenery. Very scenic. And getting quite crowded. Whereas the Norte is a nice stroll in the park! Soft Galician paths.

In terms of history, and cultural heritage, I think the continuation of the Norte wins. The Primitivo is a walk through small mountain villages, whereas the Norte has the some spectacular churches and monasteries, and fascinating Gothic cemeteries (the ones with all tall spires on the gravestones).

Either way is good.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Either way is good.
Seconded. I loved both and couldn't say I preferred one over the other.
If I went this way again I'd probably take the Primitivo as I did it longer ago. But after Lugo I'd aim to follow the green arrows via Friol to stay at Sobrado dos Monxes and then explore the new Norte options to avoid joining the Frances until the last few km (joins at the airport I think?).

I agree with the comment about avoiding joining the Frances until the last few kms., if possible. I really enjoyed walking the Primitivo - beautiful scenery, peaceful and serene. I knew that other people were walking, because I would meet them at the albergues each afternoon/evening. Other than that, I would have thought I was the only one. After joining the Frances at Melide, it was much busier and noisier.

The Primitivo is my favorite Camino to date but when I walked it in April I had already walked the entire Norte once before. And as I walked the Norte during different periods (1-2 weeks at a time in October and June during different years) when I reached Villaviciosa I did not feel the need to leave the coast.

I guess it really depends how you felt when you reach the split off and whether you have the chance to come back again to do the Primitivo should you decide to continue on the Norte.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the Primitivo this Oct and decided against worrying about when I joined the Frances as I knew I would only be on it for a day and a bit. I walked from Ferreira to Arzua and then to SdC the next day.

Hello all,

I'm currently working on planning my next Camino, I mean to do the Norte, but I'm trying to decide how I should finish the trail. Should I continue all the way along the Norte to Santiago, or branch off on the Primitivo to get to Santiago? Any differences in terms of feel, terrain difficulty, historicity, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Kjack2222:

I would stay on the Norte. This is a great Camino. Challenging in the beginning with all the 500m climbs but it eases up a bit as you move into the last third. I would not worry about connecting with the Frances as you are only on the route 2 days.

Many people make this decision as they near Villaviciosa and predicate their decision on what others they have been walking with are going to do. I had no issues with crowding on either route but did walk them awhile back and in April.

I would save the Primitivo for a double (San Salvador/Primitivo 15-18 days) or triple (Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo 27-30 days).

These are all good Camino's.

Happy walking,
Joe

Kjack2222:

I would stay on the Norte. This is a great Camino. Challenging in the beginning with all the 500m climbs but it eases up a bit as you move into the last third. I would not worry about connecting with the Frances as you are only on the route 2 days.

Many people make this decision as they near Villaviciosa and predicate their decision on what others they have been walking with are going to do. I had no issues with crowding on either route but did walk them awhile back and in April.

I would save the Primitivo for a double (San Salvador/Primitivo 15-18 days) or triple (Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo 27-30 days).

These are all good Camino's.

Happy walking,
Joe
Or triple Olvidado/San Salvador/Primitivo ……...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We loved the Norte/Primitivo combo. Norte was great training for Primitivo- shame to waste strong legs.

I walked the first half of the Norte before turning onto the Primitivo in April/May 2016 and loved the variety that combination offered. I am finishing up the Norte starting from Oviedo this spring as its been in the back of my mind as unfinished business.

What do the green arrows indicate? I'm continuing on del Norte as well.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello all,

Hola
What season are you planning to walk?
Primitivo can be hard in the winter, but I would say it is more interesting - although much harder than the end of Norte - especially if you are tired after walking from Irun.

Buen Camino :)
Lettinggo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back