Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo or Frances in september/october

GyTimi

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo or Frances
Hello,
I am planning to start my first Camino around sept 25 and I have 14 days. Right now, I have two options on the table, the Primitivo or the last part of the Frances (from Leon). This will be my first Camino and I'm a bit worried about the weather on the Primitivo at the end of September/beginning of October. Will there be enough pilgrims on the Primitivo, as I wouldn't like to be entirely alone on the whole Camino as a girl and I would like to get the Camino feeling. My preference is definitely the Primitivo, because this way I can finish a full Camino from the beginning (my physical condition fits the profile of the Camino, so that shouldn't be a problem at all).

For those who were on the Primitivo in this time period, what was the situation regarding pilgrim presents and
the weather?

Which route would you recommend for this part of the year?

Thanks for any advice!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I cannot answer from experience, but I will be starting out from Oviedo on the 25th, along with my childhood friend for whom this will be a first camino (my many-eth camino). I’m staying away from the section you describe on the Frances because I’ve been there at that time of year and by Sarria the crowds were overwhelming, and those were not Xacobeo years! The heat was also pretty brutal until beyond Ponferrada and the start of October.
I’ve walked in very cool weather on the Portuguese, and extremely hot, July weather on the Frances…
I’ll take cooler, even with some rain.
For a sense of the weather, use the “Accuweather” long range forecast. It’s based on pervious averages I think, but the 14-day forecast will be very accurate, and the longer projection a very good indicator.
Whatever you choose, it will be right for you.
Buen Camino.

I cannot answer from experience, but I will be starting out from Oviedo on the 25th, along with my childhood friend for whom this will be a first camino (my many-eth camino). I’m staying away from the section you describe on the Frances because I’ve been there at that time of year and by Sarria the crowds were overwhelming, and those were not Xacobeo years! The heat was also pretty brutal until beyond Ponferrada and the start of October.
I’ve walked in very cool weather on the Portuguese, and extremely hot, July weather on the Frances…
I’ll take cooler, even with some rain.
For a sense of the weather, use the “Accuweather” long range forecast. It’s based on pervious averages I think, but the 14-day forecast will be very accurate, and the longer projection a very good indicator.
Whatever you choose, it will be right for you.
Buen Camino.
Thank you, this sounds good. See you on the Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You will love the Primitivo and will finish on the Frances. It's a great time to be there and on my list to return and finish my Camino Primitivo which was cut shot by The Covid pandemic. I was there in April of 2020 but have chosen October for my return. Buen Camino!

Hello,
I am planning to start my first Camino around sept 25 and I have 14 days. Right now, I have two options on the table, the Primitivo or the last part of the Frances (from Leon). This will be my first Camino and I'm a bit worried about the weather on the Primitivo at the end of September/beginning of October. Will there be enough pilgrims on the Primitivo, as I wouldn't like to be entirely alone on the whole Camino as a girl and I would like to get the Camino feeling. My preference is definitely the Primitivo, because this way I can finish a full Camino from the beginning (my physical condition fits the profile of the Camino, so that shouldn't be a problem at all).

For those who were on the Primitivo in this time period, what was the situation regarding pilgrim presents and
the weather?

Thanks for any advice!
I did the Primitivo end of September last year, I had a mixture of mostly warm weather and just a few days of rain, being English the rain wasn't a problem for me :) and it wasn't so heavy that it made walking a problem. There are definitely fewer pilgrims and days when you walk alone for a lot of the day and I travelled alone but never felt unsafe, usually you will meet up with other pilgrims by the end of the day. I would recommend it, it's beautiful, unspoilt and although I did miss the camaraderie of the French way, the Primitivo feels ancient and very special and the solitary walking adds to that.

Hello,

the weather?

Thanks for any advice!
I can't speak from experience as I haven't walked the Primitivo yet, but will also be starting from Oviedo on September 27th :)
I had similar concerns but after posting on this forum the replies reassured me to go for it and I decided to stick with my Primitivo plan. Maybe we might run into each other along the way :)
Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I can't speak from experience as I haven't walked the Primitivo yet, but will also be starting from Oviedo on September 27th :)
I had similar concerns but after posting on this forum the replies reassured me to go for it and I decided to stick with my Primitivo plan. Maybe we might run into each other along the way :)
Buen Camino!
Sounds like there are at least 4 of us planning to be there at roughly the same time. ...and I assume that the forum represents only a slim margin of those who make the walk in any given year.
I think I read that there are now about 15,000 who travel the Primitivo in the walking season.

I left Oviedo September 16, 2018. No rain and plenty of pilgrims on the Primitivo. But do bring rain gear. Heavy dew drops from the overhanging tree leaves in the morning. Buen Camino it's beautiful

Buen Camino!
See you on the way. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you all for your answers, it seems I will choose the Primitivo after all based on these. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sounds like there are at least 4 of us planning to be there at roughly the same time. ...and I assume that the forum represents only a slim margin of those who make the walk in any given year.
I think I read that there are now about 15,000 who travel the Primitivo in the walking season.
Hi yes I’m thinking the Salvador towards end September then Primitivo October. And so another one to add! Thinking about the weather and accomadation booking problems as always!

Hi yes I’m thinking the Salvador towards end September then Primitivo October. And so another one to add! Thinking about the weather and accomadation booking problems as always!
Yep… I vacillate from “If there aren’t enough of us out there, everyone will close up shop!” to, “If there are too many of us out there, I’ll be sleep on church steps *a lot*!”

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.