Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo to Santiago in 6/7 days

Marcel234

“Not all those who wander are lost.”
Time of past OR future Camino
2009/10/11/12/13/14/15/16 and this June 2017
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a route in november of this year. I only have a week. Can anybody give me an overview of the distances on this Camino. I would love to do the whole route in 6/7 days. If I train 40 km a day would be doable. But I know the route is longer. Can you tell me how hard this route is.

Thx!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I do not think that this route is possible in that number of days at any time of year. By November you could even have snow on the high passes too, water and mud slowing you down . A better route for the number of days and time of year would be the Camino Inglés.
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks Falcon! That's what I needed!
@ Tia Valeria
Isn't the Ingles route way shorter? An another alternative would be The Frances from Leon to Santiago. I did the Frances before so I know that it is possible.

I'm looking for a challenge, but it's hard for me to estimate the hardness of the primitivo.

Btw I'm an 'expert' on the Frances. In 2 weeks Ill be there for the 5th time, It will be with my father so distances will be low and we head back after a week.

The Camino Inglés is shorter, yes. However as I said the weather conditions over the Primitivo in November could be difficult.
Try looking at the Gronze site as well as Eroski. We think its elevations are more accurate.
Note that if you need transport there is none between Grandas de Salime and Fonsagrada (26kms) apart from hiring a taxi.

Do post and let us know if you do walk the route and how you get on.
Buen Camino

It would seem that you are up for a challenge! If you are determined on walking the Primitivo in your 6 / 7 days I would suggest that you need to do your homework very carefully. If you use the Gronze site you will see the distances as well as the possible time needed. e.g Pola de Allende to La Mesa (no food available) is given as 21.6 kilometers and the time as 6 hours 15 minutes, difficulty 3 / 3 and that is only half the distance you are setting yourself! Some albergues may be closed in November - phone ahead to check, especially if there is no other accomodation. You will need to take into account the short days and the fact that some of your walking will be on rocky narrow trails with few habitations if things do go wrong. The trail is well marked in daylight, however there are not as many markers as the Francés and it will be easy to miss the trail using a headlight.
I love the Primitivo but I have great respect for the mountains and would suggest that you take great care in your preparation.

Blessings on your walking and planning
Tio Tel

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
[ I'm an 'expert' on the Frances. In 2 weeks Ill be there for the 5th time, It will be with my father so distances will be low and we head back after a week]. You may find the "primitivo" most interesting and probably comparable to a succession of Rabanal del Camino-El Acebo experiences on the "francés". I believe to be a fairly good mountain walker myself, but I cannot consider walking the "primitivo" as an enjoyable journey through beautiful countryside under time pressure. :(

[ I'm an 'expert' on the Frances. In 2 weeks Ill be there for the 5th time, It will be with my father so distances will be low and we head back after a week]. You may find the "primitivo" most interesting and probably comparable to a succession of Rabanal del Camino-El Acebo experiences on the "francés". I believe to be a fairly good mountain walker myself, but I cannot consider walking the "primitivo" as an enjoyable journey through beautiful countryside under time pressure. :(

Thank you all! As I'm reading your advices I realize that having respect for the environment is most important. I will read some more and I have time before I have to make a descision. On the Via the la plata I'm now at Merida, so I can also do a couple of hundred on that way.

@ Fraluchi: Time pressure is killing. The most beautiful thing of a camino is losing track of time. Getting free of the fast-pased world I'm used to. I realize that doing the Primitivo in 7 days wouldnt give me that. On the other side. Fysical pain can give you freedom too. I know it sounds weird and creepy. But do you remember your hardest day on the camino? Remember that day and realize how intense the feeling of living 'in the now' was.

The hardest day on the Primitivo was between La Mesa and El Salto, just before Grandas. There is a 900mt drop in 1km so the path takes long zig-zags down the hillside with a steep drop off to the side. It took two and a half hours to walk it safely, in daylight. The short uphill stretch was a kindness to the legs.

http://camino-primitivo-2012.blogsp...ucedo-to-el-salto-sunday-29th-april_7307.html

This is not a route to under-estimate and days will be short in November

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you Tia Valeria for this info. Last year we descended from San Juan de la Peña (Camino Aragonés - near Jaca), a 500 mt. drop in 4 kms. and found it quite difficult and hard on the knees. But then, our knees are over 70 years old and perhaps a bit rusty?:rolleyes: So we'll be prepared :cool:

The day we walked this we had stayed at Casa Antigua, private habitacion, in Berducedo (breakfast included). We had booked this the previous night to make sure of a bed without walking further than we wanted. At Berducedo we booked into the Hotel Grandas at El Salto, to save us the last 6kms into Grandas after what we expected to be a long walking day (for us). It worked really well. At El Salto we were sent straight into the dining room 10 minutes before it closed to ensure we had a hot meal - it was Sunday - then there were bocadillos available in the bar in the evening. We chose to stop over again in Grandas to see the museum, but could have walked the distance through to Castro (booking advisable here as they take in youth groups). If you need to play 'catch up' time wise then check out our taxi ride outside Fonsagrada and bus ride near Lastre, through the blog link above.

If you would like any phone numbers feel free to PM us, we have most of them.

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back