Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo video

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you! It is beautiful. I am counting the days too 95 for me!:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The beautiful Primitivo video Nuala posted left me with a few questions. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-primitivo-video.38166/

The first is the description of the church called San Pedro de Nora in Las Regueras. (At about the two minute twenty section mark). I have never passed by that church, how did I miss it? I am assuming a slight detour is required? The town is after Escamplero, but I can't figure out whether it's actually on the Camino or not.

The second is the mention of Roman aqueducts near Puerto de Palo (at the 5:00 mark more or less). I think @Pelegrin may have mentioned this in a thread before, but again, I have never seen this and wonder how I missed it.

And finally, the village of San Emiliano, at 5:15. Looks like it's after Berducedo, but I have no memory of having passed through it.

Since I'm going back for my third Primitivo, I would like to see if I can find these places!

Buen camino, Laurie

Hmm - I wondered about the authenticity of the video, in terms of the pilgrim paths. I dithered about posting it in case it was more about (very) pretty stuff to attract people to Asturias!

I will be interested to read the responses to your question. Should the two threads perhaps be merged?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, the fact the video suggests buying presents in Oviedo before heading on the Camino made me smile.

Regarding San Pedro de la Norw, Editorial buen camino mentions it together with a number of monasteries and hospitals which were mentioned as far back as 978 in litterature, but it says that now only its church remains standing and does not mention that the path goes by it. It is betweekn Esclampero and Premono. Maybe kf ypu are on bicycle and take that detour rather than the walking path? Other possibility is if you walk parallel to the Roman senda and not on it. (Actually, Cicerone actually makes you cut across in a diagonal not even walking the senda$. From the Roman senda you do see a church to your left. Bit according to my guide this is past where the church you mention is.

No mention of the other two places in Editorial ... Clearly not a whole lot of walking done by the people who put the video together. Must have been on the turigrino-we-carry-your-pack-and-pick -you-up-when-&-where-you -call-us walk :eek:.

Oh did you hear the conclusion: by the time you get to Lugo you will have been well fed (yes) and rested... Nope! Not if you walked! o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
San Emiliano, probably abandoned, looks like Montefurado on the way down from Puerto de Palo. It is about 9 km from the place where you cross over the dam,on a small road, so I think I will cross that one off my list!

I have found San Pedro de la Nora, and it would be a walkable detour from Escamplero, up to Las Regueras, then back down to intersect the Camino near Premoño. Looks like maybe a 5-7 km detour. Visiting the church requires contacting the personnel to set it up, so I would do that ahead of time. But I have to say it looks stunning! Look at those pre-romanesque windows.
http://www.prerromanicoasturiano.es/es/26/monumentos/43/en-las-regueras/52/san-pedro-de-nora.html

I agree, that's a very manageable detour to see something this special.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Update for anyone interested in taking this detour to San Pedro de la Nora -- It seems that there is a trail (suitable for bikes and walking) that turns off in Gallegos, in front of the "lavadero" (community washing tub). Gallegos is a little hamlet you reach before you get to Esclampero. This trail takes you to the church, and looks like it might go along the Nora River.

From the church back to the Camino at Premoño, you walk along AS-234, which is surely a very lightly traveled road.

I have not had luck contacting the person in charge of opening the church yet, but I'll keep trying, to be able (hopefully) to tell you how to guarantee a visit.

Hmm - I wondered about the authenticity of the video, in terms of the pilgrim paths. I dithered about posting it in case it was more about (very) pretty stuff to attract people to Asturias!

I will be interested to read the responses to your question. Should the two threads perhaps be merged?
My first thought when reading this was that Asturias is making an attempt to drum up interest ....not that there is anything wrong with that, providing all that has been written is accurate. I'm planning another Camino for Spring 2017, and reading what I can on the different 'ways'. Thanks for posting this.

The beautiful Primitivo video Nuala posted left me with a few questions. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-primitivo-video.38166/

The first is the description of the church called San Pedro de Nora in Las Regueras. (At about the two minute twenty section mark). I have never passed by that church, how did I miss it? I am assuming a slight detour is required? The town is after Escamplero, but I can't figure out whether it's actually on the Camino or not.

The second is the mention of Roman aqueducts near Puerto de Palo (at the 5:00 mark more or less). I think @Pelegrin may have mentioned this in a thread before, but again, I have never seen this and wonder how I missed it.

And finally, the village of San Emiliano, at 5:15. Looks like it's after Berducedo, but I have no memory of having passed through it.

Since I'm going back for my third Primitivo, I would like to see if I can find these places!

Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie.
I haven´t seen those aqueducts near Puerto del Palo either. I mentioned in several threads before the Roman gold mine called A Freita that is very near to Puerto de la Marta on your right and the little lakes in Puerto del Palo and Marta that were used by the Romans to destroy the land and get the gold. Also down the mountain out of the Camino there is still the entrance of a gallery that is called A cova de Xan Rata.
I have seen those aquaducts in other places in Allande Council when I visited again this wonderful Concello in 2014 as a tourist.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Success! I have been able to talk with the señora who is in charge of the visits to the church. It's either Señora Amalia or her mother (whose name I don't have), and if you call 985 78 44 50 a couple of days ahead around 8-9 pm in the afternoon, it's a good time to find someone at home. (This number is a land line, not a mobile).

She said that it is easy to arrange a visit, and that it can be at the time you want to see it. I've done a little reading and it appears that the inside was destroyed during the Spanish Civil War. There are some paintings left, and of course the light and sense of space from the arches will be something to soak up. But the windows are all visible from the outside and are just beautiful.

I'll be trying this in June, so long as the weather is decent, but if anyone else wants to be a trailblazer, report back. This is a church built in the 9th century, just like the Naranco sites.

Buen camino, Laurie

Result! Thanks for doing all this research - I'll be following in your footsteps in September and benefitting from all your hard work.

This is a good reminder of how easy it is to miss some real gems that are worthy of a detour. I can be much too 'destination focussed' when I'm walking. I'm sure I've missed many sights and places.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@peregrina2000 , you are hard core! I'm impressed by your determination to find this info.

Well, I've pretty much given up on the Roman aqueduct and mining site, Xuan Rata and Fana de la Freita, though I think they are somewhere near Montefurado, that beautiful abandoned town on the way down from Puerto del Palo.

And I am not going to walk out to San Emiliano. I've seen some pictures, here for example, http://www.asturiasfotoafoto.com/php/lugar.php?comienzo=20
Its church has a porch that resembles the one in Grandas de Salime, and some of the buildings are quite pretty, but I think Montefurado offers a lot of the same, and it's on the Camino!

What I'm thinking I may do, depending on how I feel, is walk from Oviedo to Escamplero, sign into the albergue, and then walk out to the San Pedro de Nora church and back to Escamplero. I think that's another 10 km, but Escamplero is pretty close to Oviedo so it wouldn't be a long day. Like others, when I repeat a camino, I try to stay in different places to avoid the comparisons and to keep things new and unpredictable, so that's one way to do it.

(One reason to walk to the church from Escamplero rather than on the path from the lavadero in Gallegos is that the path is virtually impassable and not maintained:
)

Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie,
I visited San Emiliano as a tourist in 2014. It had a bar and a house with rural apartments.
There 20 people live. San Emiliano is a parish and therefore it has a church and a cemetery that serve a handful of little villages dependant of the parish. It is completely different to Berducedo because it still keeps the tradional style of building in the Allande area. I think that it deserves a touristic visit by car but it is not enough for a detour from the Camino.
I agree that it is possible to see the traditional building style in Montefurado, that is not completetely abandoned. In 2014 lived a man It is possible to see the front door of the house from the road side I saw there a vegetable garden and chikens.
In relation to the Roman ruins in Hospitales The gold mine A Freita almost cuts the Camino on your right near Puerto de la Marta.
I agree that the Xan Rata cave doesn´t deserve a detour either.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back