Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo

kevinoconnor2000

Time of past OR future Camino
northern and french
Have completed my camino frances and camino del norte in the last few years. I start my camino primitivo this june 1st 2014. Looking forward to it now, just planning few stages and wondering a few pieces of info. There are a few excellent descriptions of primitivo on this forum. Are there many albergues along the primitivo or do I need to choose stages wisely. Are the many pilgrims on primitivo in june?

Solo walker and looking at avg 30km-40km per day

Kevin - Ireland

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, Kevin,
You will not have trouble finding albergues, though there isn't an abundance of them. I have walked the primitivo twice and have listed my stages here. I stayed in different places both times.

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-stages-on-the-camino-primitivo.4841/#post-26981

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/back-from-the-primitivo-june-2012.14728/

All of those stages now have albergues, so no problem on that front. With your distances, you will not have any difficulty finding a place to stop. Check mundicamino.com and the eroski website http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/primitivo/

Enjoy, Kevin, it is one of the most beautiful caminos you can ever hope to walk on! Laurie

Hi Kevin -- By chance were you walking the Camino Frances late April/Early May last year? We met a wonderful guy from Ireland in Triacastela last year at the beginning of May. I failed to get his contact info. Can't tell from your picture if its you!

Liz Brandt

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks Laurie, I had read your thread and found it very beneficial and will certainly be using it for my camino. Have set out my stages at this point and can't wait now.
Liz, I walked from Gijon to santiago Easter 2013 so wasn't in Triacastela sorry.
Looking forward to the climbing on primitivo, are there many coffee stops along the way? Is the primitivo busy in June I wonder?
Thanks in advance for advice
Kevin

Thanks Laurie, I had read your thread and found it very beneficial and will certainly be using it for my camino. Have set out my stages at this point and can't wait now.
Liz, I walked from Gijon to santiago Easter 2013 so wasn't in Triacastela sorry.
Looking forward to the climbing on primitivo, are there many coffee stops along the way? Is the primitivo busy in June I wonder?
Thanks in advance for advice
Kevin
Hi, Kevin,

The primitivo is one of those caminos where an electric coil is a great little gadget to have, at least if you are one of those who wants to be caffeinated before walking long distances. There are frequently long distances between the albergue and the next coffee shop, and if you leave early, you may have trouble finding anything open near the albergue. And I have slept in too many albergues with equipment-less kitchens to rely that I'll find a way to make coffee.

I walked the Primitivo in June once and it was a great time of year to walk. Good weather, not many people. Until recently at least, the Primitivo has been a route walked primarily by Spaniards, which means that it gets crazy busy in August but has not too many crowds before then. But things may be changing, because I did give a lot of compostelas to Primitivo walkers during the first two weeks in May in the pilgrims office.

Buen camino, Laurie

Kevin -- I will have to keep looking for the Irish Ken we met last year -- I sure regret not getting all of his contact info. I'll be looking forward to reports of your walk as we plan to do the Primitivo in June of 15. LIz

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Have completed my camino frances and camino del norte in the last few years. I start my camino primitivo this june 1st 2014. Looking forward to it now, just planning few stages and wondering a few pieces of info. There are a few excellent descriptions of primitivo on this forum. Are there many albergues along the primitivo or do I need to choose stages wisely. Are the many pilgrims on primitivo in june?

Kevin - Ireland
Hi Kevin
I did it last year second half of July. Beautiful route. About 30 people per day. Lots of albergues and also good B&Bs at about 20 euros a night if interested. I have some names. Can I ask you which bit of the Norte you'd recommend if you only had 7-10 days? Preferably not much road walking, great scenery, etc.
Best
Andrew

Kevin - Ireland
How was your Camino last year, Kevin? I was considering taking my twin almost 13-year-old nieces on the Primitivo in June 2015. But I think I've read enough that it might not be the best for a first one for them. We're doing just the 100K for our Compostela as they've never done anything remotely like this before.

How about Camino del Norte from your perspective? The last 100K, that is. Sound doable for them? I really want to have a true Camino experience but not so challenging as so be more frustrating than fun :)

I hope all your Caminos are/have been rewarding!

Thanks - Bom Caminho!

Anna

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I did my Primitivo in 2013, June last week and first week of July. From Oviedo to Lugo we were no more than 20 per day. From Lugo to Melide no more than 30. And from Melide to Santiago around 500.
Hi! Would you recommend this for me & my almost 13-year-old twin nieces of June this year (2015)? I want them to have an authentic Camino experience (their first/we're doing the 100k only on this one) and yet not one that's mostly frustrating, you know? Enjoyable, memorable, but not punishing.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Bom Caminho!

Anna

Hi! Would you recommend this for me & my almost 13-year-old twin nieces of June this year (2015)? I want them to have an authentic Camino experience (their first/we're doing the 100k only on this one) and yet not one that's mostly frustrating, you know? Enjoyable, memorable, but not punishing.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Bom Caminho!

Anna

Hi, Anna,
I think the prettiest "last 100 km" are from Sarria to Santiago, but you may be looking for a way to avoid the Camino Francés. The Primitivo starts in Lugo for the last 100, the Vdlp-Sanabrés in Ourense, the Norte in Baamonde and none of them is particularly challenging, I think. Both the Norte and the Primitivo join up with the Camino Francés a couple of days before Santiago, so you´ll get some of the Francés if you walk either of those. Leaving Ourense there´s a steep hill that gets your hear pumping, but really the rest of the way is quite manageable. If you started in Ferrol you could walk the entire Camino Inglés and get a compostela. A lot of people recommend that Camino, check out the section of the forum, and there´s a very good guide written by JohnnieWalker in the resources section. I enjoyed the Inglés, it goes through a couple of very pretty towns, my only complaint was all the eucalyptus trees!

I think whichever one you choose would be a great experience for your nieces. Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.