• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo

KasiaW

Time of past OR future Camino
April/ May 2023
Hi, i will be walking Camino Primitivo second week of June. Has anyone got shoes recomendations? Are boots best for this route? Thank you 💫

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello I did this in a pair of asolo gtx mid boots, my daughter did it in hokas
which were dreadful and fell apart

Hello I did this in a pair of asolo gtx mid boots, my daughter did it in hokas
which were dreadful and fell apart
What style Hokas? Do you know how many miles were already on them or were they new? Was thinking of switching from Altra Lone Peaks as the quality isn’t what it once was.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thank you! I did think about Hoka’s but wasnt sure if they have enough ancle support :) I might go for La Sportiva TX5 GTX

Just completed El Norte to Oviedo to Primitivo in my Altra Olympus trail shoes. They were new when I started and were great for 600 miles. They were trashed by the end though, and have gone to their eternal reward.

I walked the Camino Primitivo in very cheap no name trail shoes I got from Walmart (true story) which ultimately were more comfortable than previous Merrill's and I had zero blisters and zero foot issues. I think they were $25.00.
They were in fine shape at the end and lasted another full year of casual walking.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You've not told us enough about yourself to answer this question well.

How much hiking/ walking experience do you have? What kinds of terrain have you walked? What works for you now?

What kind of feet do you have? What kind of arch? Are you heavy, or light? Do you have knee/hip/ankle problems?

We can tell you what works...for us. That's no predictor of what will work for you.

And if you haven't already broken in good boots or shoes, you're kinda late for a mid June start.

Walked the Primitivo in trail shoes. They got very wet but that would have happened whatever was on my feet. If you're used to shoes rather than boots for hiking, go for it! Oh, and buen camino!

And if you haven't already broken in good boots or shoes, you're kinda late for a mid June start.
I disagree. Lots of walking shoes and boots these days don't need much breaking in at all. Just give them a couple of trips out before, work put any hotspots... and enjoy the walking! There's no need for worrying about this.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
While it was certainly once true that the leather shoes and hiking boots of yore needed "breaking in" to fit themselves to the shape of our foot and become comfortable and not blister-producing, my understanding is that it is no longer true with modern trail runners. These do not conform themselves to the shape of your foot, as the leather shoes of old did. In short, they don't "break in". You need to wear them before you go to see if they fit you well and conform to your foot. If they don't, no amount of breaking in will fix it. You need different shoes.

If my understanding is incorrect, I am certainly open to being educated.

David and Mazzarina, you're correct about new shoes/boots. What I *should* have said is that you should walk a distance in your choice before starting the Camino in earnest. It's a bummer to figure out 3 days in that those boots or shoes that felt so good in the store are now too tight for the socks your chose, or are giving you blisters. We've all seen pilgrims endure more pain than they needed to, when a little preparation could have avoided the issue.

As for the rest...I regret being blunt, but I do still think that we don't know enough about the OP to provide a solution that will work *for the OP*. We know what works...for us.

Hi, i will be walking Camino Primitivo second week of June. Has anyone got shoes recomendations? Are boots best for this route? Thank you 💫
No boots needed. I did Primitivo in April, used trail runners. Salomon Speedcross 5 GTX. Not sure is you need GTX in June. Agree regarding not really needing to break in shoes. More important to find shoes that fit your feet. And wear thin, woollen socks. Every day. Always.

Attachments

• 20230419_190736.jpg
    20230419_190736.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Walked the Camino Primitivo and Camino San Salvador Fall 2022 in HOKA Speedgoat V5 without any issues at all. The Vibram soles were great!

FWIW, I walked Primitivo in 2018 with barefoot shoes. They worked quite well, no problems whatsoever, though steeper descents with loose stones had to be taken with appropriate respect. This might be relevant with all types of shoes, however.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
FWIW I expect to be using Hoka Challengers when I do my Camino Primitivo (after I wear them on the Madrid and San Salvador). I fly out today. We'll see how they do.

FWIW I expect to be using Hoka Challengers when I do my Camino Primitivo (after I wear them on the Madrid and San Salvador). I fly out today. We'll see how they do.
If you would, let us know how they hold up once you return.

I walked the primitivo in On Cloudventures, in 2019. Very comfortable, and these things were very waterproof. I mean slogging through wet sloppy mud in the rain and my feet stayed dry. That was pretty good. I've got a new pair for walking this summer.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.