• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camino proposal completed

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
husband has taken four big kids to Easter Camp

I have used the time to write up my proposal of a 1,000km walk for next year with some of the younger kids

hubby will find it beside his bed on his return

the research is all done, a doable route chosen, possible daily distances recorded, costings projected, rationale explained....

the big question is now: how will he respond to the idea of some of us leaving for ten weeks? We've never done that before. The only going-away is hubby on business trips. And never for ten weeks.
I don't know if I want him to say YES (coz I really want to do this) or say NO coz I don't want to do it without him!

I'll keep you posted!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
falcon269 said:
a 1,000km walk for next year
What if they take a couple of kinks out of the route, and it is only 998 km? :wink:

We'll walk round the cathedral twice!! (Actually, if you take into account all the looking-for-food wandering, we'll be well over 1,000 by the time we hit Santiago). But 1,000 sounds better than 1174.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
1000K (or so) is also likely for me this May if I walk where I currently intend, but who knows? If I do or don't isn't important, it's just that if I do walk SJPdP/Santiago/Muxia/Finisterra/Santiago with the various detours (like Enuate) that I would like to do it adds up to something in that magnitude. But I might just get too distracted too often and run out of time. What will be will be.
Hope your hubby goes for it though.

Doh! I thought someone had proposed marriage on the Camino. At a risk if taking this thread off track, has anyone? Buen Camino! :twisted:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Hopefully I'll update the photo on Tuesday!

Another alternative comes to mind.... re-submit for re-consideration in 20__. :shock:
Margaret

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
KiwiNomad06 said:
Another alternative comes to mind.... re-submit for re-consideration in 20__. :shock:
Margaret

I'll save that as a back-up plan Margaret! I'm really really hoping NO WAY is not chosen!

Proposal has been read.
Promise made to read it again.
Hoping for a tick in a box tonight!

Complicating factor: hubby has come home talking about inter-country adoption :shock:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Kiwi-family said:
Complicating factor: hubby has come home talking about inter-country adoption :shock:
lol competing proposals then. You will have to keep him at home next Easter!
Margaret

On reflection.....not mutually exclusive ideas :wink:

At the very least he supports my desire to walk with the two younger boys. But he'd also like to join us for part of it, but not the same 300km he's already covered.
That's as far as we've got so far, but have 40minutes in the car together alone tonight,so will discuss further.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Lovely family, lovely story. Keep us posted! :)

Tyrrek you are not the only one. I also thought someone proposed for marriage on the Camino.

Thanks for asking Al!

Conversations have been flowing freely since then! The older kids have got used to the idea that their crazy mama really would contemplate taking their little siblings away for ten weeks and leave them at home! I explained to them that there were reasons I taught them from a young age to "keep house" and they cannot deny they are totally capable of doing so now :wink:

The goal is to do a fundraising walk for charity water. We want to call it the "1,000km walk for water" and challenge people to give one cent per kilometre (that would amount to $10) or perhaps 10 cents per km ($100) and amongst our professional friends we'll put out the word that we are even looking for $1 per km (what's $1000 to a lawyer or doctor?? slightly tongue in cheek - although our anaesthetist friend who volunteers in Nepal each year having lived there for five years had someone give him $10,000 once so I'm just concerned were setting our sights too low!)
The boys are going to make up fliers to distribute in places we frequent, and will be available to do a short awareness-raising presentation in schools, churches etc in our local area. We are even in the process of finding out if we would be able to speak at an event which has over 4,000 young people attending it...
Before we went on our "Big Trip" with the kids, they raised money to get a book published in Laos (see Big Brother Mouse for details). Part of their fundraising efforts involved doing a 19km coast-to-coast walk across our city. Little did I realise where that beginning would take us!

Where things stand at this stage.....
I am planning on leaving mid or late May 2014 with the two boys (aged 11 and 13 by then). We want to put in some miles BEFORE Saint Jean (just trying to work out where to start from) and then go from SJPdP to Leon, up the del Salvador to Oviedo, along the Primitivo to Melide and back on the Frances to Santiago. If we have spare days we could wander out to the coast (go the extra mile as it were!) or nip back to the monastery at Montserrat which everyone would like to see. (We'd fly in to and out of Barcelona).
About a week or so after we leave, Daddy would hop on a plane with the two younger girls (by then aged almost 8 and just 10) and meet us in Pamplona. We would walk together for a couple of weeks and then he would have to return home to work and I would continue with the four of them. Our long days would be past and we go at a pace that suits the slowest. I have written up a possible slow itinerary based on what the 8-year-old was able to manage easily when we walked last year. If we manage to go faster, there is plenty to do in Spain to fill in a few days!
When we told the kids, the plan was for daddy to take the girls back with him, but they have begged to be allowed to stay (in fact they asked to come right from the start but we have said NO to that as we may need to do some longer stages then and it is easier/cheaper to get accommodation for 3 than 5).....and so we are planning on letting them stay on. Condition will be that they willingly do a 25km hike or two each weekend and at least a couple of 15km walks during the week until we go. That ought to test their resolve - as walking through suburbia is just not the same!

We are all very excited.....the older kids at the prospect of being left home alone :D, the younger ones at the prospect of another Camino and tetilla and empanadas and walking-chocolate, Daddy at the thought of taking some time of during the term, and all of us at the hope we might be able to offer to some communities which otherwise would not get water.

We've just got to decide on the beginning route and then wait for air tickets to come on sale in June! We've all started learning Spanish, so this will be a very different Camino - it's lovely to have time to prepare, and it's nice to have done the short portion so this time we go knowing it will be OK.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Great news. Thanks for keeping us nosy beggars up to date. Good luck with the fund raising. I raised £1200 walking the Ingles last year, but am walking the Frances/Muxia/Finisterra/Santiago (hopefully, but who knows or cares) for personal reasons only this time. Enjoy your preparations and good luck with your plans panning out. :)

Kiwi-family said:
The goal is to do a fundraising walk for charity water. We want to call it the "1,000km walk for water" and challenge people to give one cent per kilometre (that would amount to $10) or perhaps 10 cents per km ($100)

Hi Kiwi-family,
Can I ask if we (Forum members) will be able to donate on-line? I used a website called "Justgiving" and I am sure there will be one in Kiwi-land that you could link to - or has your charity got its own?

Blessings on your planning and walking
Tio Tel (Tia Valeria's other half!)

At charitywater.org you can make up a "project" which people can use to donate through. The project only has a life of 90 days and so I will make mine a couple of weeks before we leave and have it running while we are walking. I'll ask Ivar if it will be OK to pop one post on here telling people about it - plus the link will be on our blog, which is in my signature :wink:

By the way, you take the prize for "First Person Interested in Donating" - I'll match your donation!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.