A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Camino question

2020 Camino Guides

Thom

Camino(s) past & future
Walked the Camino Frances in September-October 2016.
Okay Forum - random camino question. Whenever we get funds from an ATM, I usually get a few 20s but mostly 50s, and the latter seems like a big denomination. I’m usually loathe to pay with such a large note at a cafe or an albergue and I can’t seem to get to a bank to change it for smaller bills before siesta. What’s the proper etiquette? Or is a 50 not that big a deal here?

jefferyonthecamino

http://www.barrerabooks.com/ - Guidebooks
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés (1994) & (2013 - 2019)
Camino Portugués (2015 - 2019)
Camino de Madrid (2019)
Okay Forum - random camino question. Whenever we get funds from an ATM, I usually get a few 20s but mostly 50s, and the latter seems like a big denomination. I’m usually loathe to pay with such a large note at a cafe or an albergue and I can’t seem to get to a bank to change it for smaller bills before siesta. What’s the proper etiquette? Or is a 50 not that big a deal here?
supermarkets are usually ok with a 50
bars (what we call cafes) are too, as long as it is not a single 1 euro coffee; any purchase close to 10 euros should be ok. it's running out of change they are concerned about.
gas stations will almost always have change, as long as you purchase something.

Buen Camino

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 - 2019
€50 notes are given likely as it results in fewer counting cycles for the ATM machine. This contributes, over time and indirectly, to reliability.

That said, others have pointed out that most supermercados and gasoline stations will change a 50 for a smaller denomination note. I have never had a problem spending my money, or converting large bills to smaller. Just plan how to use the larger bills, resulting in change comprised of smaller note, as soon as you get the 50s.

Hope this helps.

judy jackstadt

Texas Judy
Camino(s) past & future
Spring 2017
Spring 2019
On both my caminos I found the China stores (those dollar type stores run by Chinese people) in the slightly larger villages were always happy to take my large bills even with a very small purchase. One manager said to me... no problem, we have lots of money. Then she gave a big bright smile!

Camino(s) past & future
2 Camino Frances, next: April 2020 Primitivo
I used to withdraw something like 190 euros, and the machine gave 3 × 50 and 2 × 20 euros. Then I used the 50 € bills in bigger towns or supermarkets to get smaller bills and used the 20 € bills in villages and albergues. No problems.

CdnDreamer

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (12, 15 & 18) San Salvador (18), Portuguese (19)
Twice I have walked into the bank where I got €50s from their bank machine only to find there are just employees sitting at desks and Spanish people standing around. Everyone turned and stared at me and then an employee asked me what I wanted and answered that they dont have any money in the bank. Just the machines. Does anyone know what these banks do if they have no tellers? Just wondering. I know one was a Santandar bank. I learned to break the 50s at grocery stores.

Telboyo

Camino(s) past & future
I intend to leave the UK the day Before Brexit and walkMarch -April 2019 Camino Frances
Twice I have walked into the bank where I got €50s from their bank machine only to find there are just employees sitting at desks and Spanish people standing around. Everyone turned and stared at me and then an employee asked me what I wanted and answered that they dont have any money in the bank. Just the machines. Does anyone know what these banks do if they have no tellers? Just wondering. I know one was a Santandar bank. I learned to break the 50s at grocery stores.
Banks and businesses hate having cash as it costs so much to handle, businesses all over Europe are going cashless, my local Bus company gives discount for contactless transactions and a further discount if you buy your bus tickets on app. It saves paper and administration. The banks are interested in selling loans and mortgages as they are profit centres where as cash is a cost.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
Maximise your number of 20s by withdrawing an amount ending in €80

Some machines in France offer different combinations of notes when you withdraw.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 8 0.7%
  • March

Votes: 47 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 173 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 279 24.3%