• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino question

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Sep-Oct 2016). Camino Baztan to Trindad de Arre, joined the Frances (Sept-Oct 2019).
Okay Forum - random camino question. Whenever we get funds from an ATM, I usually get a few 20s but mostly 50s, and the latter seems like a big denomination. I’m usually loathe to pay with such a large note at a cafe or an albergue and I can’t seem to get to a bank to change it for smaller bills before siesta. What’s the proper etiquette? Or is a 50 not that big a deal here?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Okay Forum - random camino question. Whenever we get funds from an ATM, I usually get a few 20s but mostly 50s, and the latter seems like a big denomination. I’m usually loathe to pay with such a large note at a cafe or an albergue and I can’t seem to get to a bank to change it for smaller bills before siesta. What’s the proper etiquette? Or is a 50 not that big a deal here?

supermarkets are usually ok with a 50
bars (what we call cafes) are too, as long as it is not a single 1 euro coffee; any purchase close to 10 euros should be ok. it's running out of change they are concerned about.
gas stations will almost always have change, as long as you purchase something.

Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€50 notes are given likely as it results in fewer counting cycles for the ATM machine. This contributes, over time and indirectly, to reliability.

That said, others have pointed out that most supermercados and gasoline stations will change a 50 for a smaller denomination note. I have never had a problem spending my money, or converting large bills to smaller. Just plan how to use the larger bills, resulting in change comprised of smaller note, as soon as you get the 50s.

Hope this helps.

On both my caminos I found the China stores (those dollar type stores run by Chinese people) in the slightly larger villages were always happy to take my large bills even with a very small purchase. One manager said to me... no problem, we have lots of money. Then she gave a big bright smile!

I used to withdraw something like 190 euros, and the machine gave 3 × 50 and 2 × 20 euros. Then I used the 50 € bills in bigger towns or supermarkets to get smaller bills and used the 20 € bills in villages and albergues. No problems.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Twice I have walked into the bank where I got €50s from their bank machine only to find there are just employees sitting at desks and Spanish people standing around. Everyone turned and stared at me and then an employee asked me what I wanted and answered that they dont have any money in the bank. Just the machines. Does anyone know what these banks do if they have no tellers? Just wondering. I know one was a Santandar bank. I learned to break the 50s at grocery stores.

Twice I have walked into the bank where I got €50s from their bank machine only to find there are just employees sitting at desks and Spanish people standing around. Everyone turned and stared at me and then an employee asked me what I wanted and answered that they dont have any money in the bank. Just the machines. Does anyone know what these banks do if they have no tellers? Just wondering. I know one was a Santandar bank. I learned to break the 50s at grocery stores.
Banks and businesses hate having cash as it costs so much to handle, businesses all over Europe are going cashless, my local Bus company gives discount for contactless transactions and a further discount if you buy your bus tickets on app. It saves paper and administration. The banks are interested in selling loans and mortgages as they are profit centres where as cash is a cost.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Maximise your number of 20s by withdrawing an amount ending in €80

Some machines in France offer different combinations of notes when you withdraw.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.