• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Quotes

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

I found these unattributed Camino sayings as I was wandering around on the internet. It's interesting how the expressions from others can cause the mind to wander around in the brain's Camino Memories Pre-Frontal Imaginings section :)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Many have trod on the Camino – but none have done it in your shoes.

As I walked the Camino and opened my heart to the possibilities, to the wonders of nature and to the child within me, I was filled with peace and joy.

Use the waymarkers to lead you to Santiago, but use the lessons learned to find your way.

The best part about the Camino is the Camino.

Those who come to the Camino with a heavy heart leave with a lighter load.

Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.

As in any journey, it’s not what you take with you, but what you leave behind.

Listen to your heart and it will show you the way.

Don’t come to the Camino looking for answers. Instead, come with an open heart and you may be surprised by what you find.

On the Camino I have learned to live day-to-day. Not in the future.

The Camino is teaching me patience for many things, and I think that is important.

I had no idea when starting out on my lone pilgrimage how many dear friends I would make.

There is no moment of delight in any pilgrimage like the beginning of it.

One of the gifts that the Camino offers is the freedom to be yourself. This freedom is liberating.

Pilgrims have a nice star in their eyes. Their eyes shine when they talk about the Camino

My number one lesson on the Camino de Santiago is about the value of time.

On the Camino I walk around with a silly love smile; everything is brilliant and marvelous.

Don’t be scared to walk alone. Don’t be scared to like it.

My priorities have changed. What was important before the Camino is no longer important.

As you start to walk out on the way, the way appears.

It’s your road and yours alone. Others may walk it with you, but no one can walk it for you.

Not only has my body adapted for the constant walking. So too has my mind.

Walk with the sun until your shadow disappears.

It does not matter how slow you go, so long as you do not stop.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Walk with the sun until your shadow disappears.....unless you’re in a panic that there won’t be a bed for you.....or unless you were with me on my first five days out of Seville when it rained nonstop and I kept bizarrely thinking about those people who advise you to pin your wet clothes to your pack (for the record I kept one set of clothes dry to climb into at the end of the day and just wore damp to sodden clothes while walking - and figured the people who suggest your clothes will dry on your pack as you walk have never walked in days of rain....lucky sods!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A couple more:

Cry because it is over,
Be glad that it was,
Be happy that it was good
Be grateful you were there

A moment in time,
A moment of grace

Thanks @davebugg interesting thread.

Don’t be scared to walk alone. Don’t be scared to like it. I was a solo walker on the Del Norte in September 2019. Being alone was wonderful not least because it created so many opportunities to meet people, share conversations and make some lasting friends. Buen Camino and let's hope our way leads us back to Spain when our lockdown ends.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I found these unattributed Camino sayings as I was wandering around on the internet. It's interesting how the expressions from others can cause the mind to wander around in the brain's Camino Memories Pre-Frontal Imaginings section :)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Many have trod on the Camino – but none have done it in your shoes.

As I walked the Camino and opened my heart to the possibilities, to the wonders of nature and to the child within me, I was filled with peace and joy.

Use the waymarkers to lead you to Santiago, but use the lessons learned to find your way.

The best part about the Camino is the Camino.

Those who come to the Camino with a heavy heart leave with a lighter load.

Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.

As in any journey, it’s not what you take with you, but what you leave behind.

Listen to your heart and it will show you the way.

Don’t come to the Camino looking for answers. Instead, come with an open heart and you may be surprised by what you find.

On the Camino I have learned to live day-to-day. Not in the future.

The Camino is teaching me patience for many things, and I think that is important.

I had no idea when starting out on my lone pilgrimage how many dear friends I would make.

There is no moment of delight in any pilgrimage like the beginning of it.

One of the gifts that the Camino offers is the freedom to be yourself. This freedom is liberating.

Pilgrims have a nice star in their eyes. Their eyes shine when they talk about the Camino

My number one lesson on the Camino de Santiago is about the value of time.

On the Camino I walk around with a silly love smile; everything is brilliant and marvelous.

Don’t be scared to walk alone. Don’t be scared to like it.

My priorities have changed. What was important before the Camino is no longer important.

As you start to walk out on the way, the way appears.

It’s your road and yours alone. Others may walk it with you, but no one can walk it for you.

Not only has my body adapted for the constant walking. So too has my mind.

Walk with the sun until your shadow disappears.

It does not matter how slow you go, so long as you do not stop.

Dave, with a bit of work you've got a poem there.

Chicken Little agrees.

But the more accurate way to say that is, "Even if you're scared to walk alone, do it anyway. And be prepared to even like it!"

The minute that you find that you are enjoying the solitude suddenly Beth from the UK appears who talks about “the deep state”, “contrails”, “microwaves”, the fake corona virus and the fake moon landings. Then, the Camino will help you face some aspects of yourself you hadn’t planned on.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The minute that you find that you are enjoying the solitude suddenly Beth from the UK appears who talks about “the deep state”, “contrails”, “microwaves”, the fake corona virus and the fake moon landings. Then, the Camino will help you face some aspects of yourself you hadn’t planned on.
Ah, Beth.
Yes.
She is why I like the less traveled ways.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
From a different person, but the camino was where I first "learned" about contrails and spiderwebs. That is what is fascinating about the camino experience - we meet people we would never otherwise get to know!

I know it is closed now and I know some people didn't like the place but the best thing I ever read about the camino was written on the side outside wall of the Cowboy Cafe (I think it may be called Meson Cowboy) in 2012 or 14.
TOGETHER WE WALK ALONE
I have no idea if the writer came up with that or it can be sourced to someone else but to me it really sums it all. up in those 4 simple words.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Today I would have started my 4th Camino. My friend who just lost her husband, said at the funeral she would grieve and heal on our Camino . We are in our homes and separated. This poem came last night the eve of our departure. Blessings to those preparing for their Camino, those one the Camino and those who carry the Camino in their hearts. Elin

On My Camino 2020
~ Elin Babcock

Shut not open
Home not gone
I begin

Up hills
Becoming mountains
Of loneliness
Turned to contemplation,
Prayer
Talked to myself
Answered
Sang half songs
I remembered
Hummed the rest

Nights came
Cooked one pot meals
Ate lots of pasta
Baked cinnamon apples
Slept exhausted
From nothing

I am on trail
On trial,
Sentenced to learn
I stop at my own altar
Hear my own confession

My penance
To experience
Loneliness
Compassion
Empath
Pain
Of others.

Say buen Camino to my contact list
Of home pilgrims
Send photos of flowers and trees
In my garden
Let people know
I am OK.
I am on my Camino.

Thanks so much for sharing this. Ten thousand words are conveyed within those lines. As a hospice chaplain I have observed often that just as the death of dear others doesn’t usually go the way we planned, neither does the journey of grief. I often find myself—almost daily—in the midst of this Corona virus lockdown thinking about a “silver bullet” that will magically get me around this thing. I would be a horrible prisoner. An hour ago I found myself mentally proposing a return trip to a town in Mexico where all the shops were open, the smell of tacos in the air, the weather perfect, people were friendly. It slowly dawned on me that not only does that town not exist in that form but that my journey is to be where I’m at and accept the discipline that you speak of in your poem. If I were your Friend perhaps I might be tempted to see the Camino as a silver bullet that might lighten the load of grief a little or provide the journey with rich meaning or even replace some of the the mental and spiritual pain with physical pain. Obviously this was not the time for her Camino. I was very disappointed a year ago today because this was to have been the first day of my first Camino but health concerns intervened. (and on this day a year ago 50 pilgrims-some with hypothermia-had to be rescued off the mountain between St Jean and Orisson because of a sudden, blinding snowstorm). My Camino was postponed to September when it was perfect, where I met and walked with two individuals from Brazil that have changed my life. Perhaps your Friend needs to walk these next few months alone and in silence. All religious and spiritual traditions strongly uphold the practice of solitude as a means of healing the soul. I, along with everyone I know tend to avoid this gift like the plague. I will hold her in my heart and prayers as I will you, her dear friend at this time. Buen Camino.

QUOTE="Parisian, post: 846418, member: 37516"]
Today I would have started my 4th Camino. My friend who just lost her husband, said at the funeral she would grieve and heal on our Camino . We are in our homes and separated. This poem came last night the eve of our departure. Blessings to those preparing for their Camino, those one the Camino and those who carry the Camino in their hearts. Elin

On My Camino 2020
~ Elin Babcock

Shut not open
Home not gone
I begin

Up hills
Becoming mountains
Of loneliness
Turned to contemplation,
Prayer
Talked to myself
Answered
Sang half songs
I remembered
Hummed the rest

Nights came
Cooked one pot meals
Ate lots of pasta
Baked cinnamon apples
Slept exhausted
From nothing

I am on trail
On trial,
Sentenced to learn
I stop at my own altar
Hear my own confession

My penance
To experience
Loneliness
Compassion
Empath
Pain
Of others.

Say buen Camino to my contact list
Of home pilgrims
Send photos of flowers and trees
In my garden
Let people know
I am OK.
I am on my Camino.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
"Qui va piano,
va sano,
e va lontano."

....learned from an Italian pilgrim in Estella. Loosely translated:
Who goes slowly
goes healthy
and goes far.

(Slowly wins the race)...

I don't know where it came from but in finnish camino journals I've seen several times something about the seven blessings of the camino; the silence, the slowness, the spirituality, the worrilessnes, the simplicity, the freedom and the sharing. ( Sorry for clumsy translation). I would like to add the gratefullness. My dear camino friend suggested to "find one's own way". Thinking about my experience through this kind of a window gave me a lot pleasure.

Don’t be scared to walk alone. Don’t be scared to like it. I was a solo walker on the Del Norte in September 2019. Being alone was wonderful not least because it created so many opportunities to meet people, share conversations and make some lasting friends. Buen Camino and let's hope our way leads us back to Spain when our lockdown ends.
I loved walking the Norte alone in 2014

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Viewed from the standpoint of happiness, faith is a strong staff for the traveller to lean upon, and the march becomes easier and tranquil when one is fortunate enough to possess it.
Émile Zola, 1840 - 1902

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back