• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Romance

CaminoJohn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2006,2008,2011; VDLP, Sanabrias (2018)
My brother, whom I brought to the camino in 2009, is marrying a woman we met at Irache on the camino in 2011! We walked for 10 days together and they have been smitten since! Any other camino romances out there?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Re: Camino Ronance

I'm sure they put something in the fountain of wine in Irache. :D Buen Camino!

Re: Camino Ronance

Yeah Tyrrek, I think its called alcohol!:grin:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have seen and heard of many relationships starting on the camino.
The one I remember in particular in 2003 was a couple who met in Burgos and tried to marry in Leon , but the Bishop said they would have to walk all the way to Santiago together before he would marry them - I would love to know the outcome?
Also , the owners of the quaint Albergue in Viloria de Rioja , Acacio and Orrietta and actually met while walking the Camino Frances.

Last year one of my walkers fell in love with a fellow she met on the Camino.
It caused a bit of a stir with her roommate, but the lovers were simply starstruck!
It was rather sweet to watch.
I'm not sure if it remained serious after Santiago.

Oh, I'd love to find love on the Camino!
Maybe I should carry my own prayer to Santiago? :lol: :lol:

Over five Caminos I have seen a dozen relationships build, three marriages (including a wonderful one where the wedding invitation was in the form of a credencial, with the sellos from each of the stops they had shared after they met near Leon), and I have know of four babies finding their beginnings on the Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If I heard it right, during Ellen's interview with Emilio Esteves and Martin Sheen, Emilio said that his son met a woman during his Camino (years prior to the movie), fell in love, married her and STAYED in Spain....never came back from the trip.

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

I had a Camino romance... We don't share a language, as he speaks just a little English and I speak just a little Spanish. Sign language and international words go a long way! But meeting him was certainly a highlight. We've kept in touch for two years over facebook, and in just a week in a half I'll be visiting him in San Sebastian, before starting my second Camino without him. :)

No marriages on the horizon yet. :p But my sister certainly has a good time coming up with stereotypical Spanish names I could give my hypothetical Spanish children...

Always thought it would be a good challenge for a future fiancee... let's walk the Camino and if we have the energy afterwards hobble down the aisle of the Santiago cathedral with our camino family in attendance ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello all,

I met a girl just an hour or two out of St. Jean. We walked to Burgos together before she had to leave to go home. I won't go into details but we had a very special and life changing journey. 2 years later and we're living together and about to set off on our third camino together. The camino really did provide for us and continues to do so. So much to be thankful for.

Chris

I walked from Burgos to Santiago in 2008 with my mother and sister. My sister (from South Africa) met her future husband (from Germany) in the first couple of days. They married in 2011 in South Africa and now live in Germany, and their first child is almost a year old.

I've seen a lot of romance on camino (though sadly not myself! ) but I walked with a couple last autumn, she was German, he was Irish. They were together before the Camino but he proposed at the end at Finisterre! I was so chuffed for them! What a romantic place to get engaged! :)
It's funny I was joking with them the day before that if they could make it through Camino together they could get through anything! In fact they even suggested that I vet all future 'beau's by making them walk a camino first to see how they react to it - an idea that I'm liking! :wink:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm going to meet and walk the Camino with a wonderful man from Oregon, USA, whom i have never met in real life. We started out as 'just' penpals a year ago, but after 7-8 month of writing together we could not help but falling for each other and now we speak every day through Skype. Since we both always wanted to walk the Camino we decided to walk it together this coming September, so we will see what it leads to :) We will meet (for the first time irl) in London on the 30th of July and make our way to the Camino going through UK and France first. I can't wait to meet him :D

Wish us luck for our "Camino date" ;)

Ah, Jennylu, what a sweet story. Keep the stories coming...they make my cynic heart melt

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I met a couple in November 2012 who met on the Camino. He has now joined her in Canada from his native Australia, and we keep in contact via Facebook. I think it is going to work.

I have met pilgrims who met someone on the Camino, they moved in together and it didn't work out, but that is the nature of life.

Jennylu I hope it works out for you. :wink:

All the very best Jennylu :smile: What a great way to florish a relationship by walking side by side through thick and thin to reach a final destination.......oh I hope he gives you great foot rubs as well! :grin:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I met an amazing Dutch girl in the Pyrenees on day one of my first Camino 2005. We had 15 second conversation that day when I saw her tending to her knee as I was zooming past. Little did I know a month later this would be the most significant encounter I might ever have.

Our journey during and after has been incredible, dream-like. We spent 2 weeks together after (Bilboa, San Sebastian, Lourdes, Pau, Biarritz). The next summer in 2006, I went to the Netherlands to stay with her and travel more. We ended up in Paris for several days. It was like I was in a movie, absolute romance. After my walk on the Camino Norte in 2010, she met me in Porto and spent two more weeks together exploring.

Eight years after our first meeting, we are extremely close for being so far away. Although no longer on a romance level, we love one another just as dearly (perhaps more) to this day. Whether we knew it at the time or not, our bond was very much needed.

The Camino brings to us that from which we run.

These stories are sweet. There's something about travel romance that brings with it a sort of purity, you get to see a side of people that they sometimes can't express at home.

I am preparing a consoling speech for my sister though, just in case my niece finds love on the Camino!

Sweet note spotted November 2012 - I've edited the chap's full name and the gal's cell no.
I did meet her .............. She was one of those 'Bossy Spanish' type lassies. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 333333.jpg
    333333.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 2,057
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For me unfortunately was a great test..the ultimate...I failed to follow warning signs from dreams etc...i did fall very much in love with a Belgian pilgrim I met upon my arrival to jato's place, just before climbing Cebreiro in 1995...we began a romance...I visited Belgium in Christmas of 95 and out of the blue we ran into pilgrims from
south america that we had met in Galicia, they happened to be visiting Brugges!..it was a real coincidence...We decided (my girl and I) to do the entire camino together again, barely 8 months after having finished the Camino in which we met in '95. I thought that the Camino in '96 would help us discern if we should marry or not...we had a wonderful, romantic Camino...( I have to say that a series of dreams also happened to me during that time telling me to not marry her and stay away from her, i couldnt understand why, because our romance was so beautiful, so I decided to not be superstitious)

this was before the internet and when the camino was still primitive and cool..we got married in New York in 1998, had two children and I bought a a house in a nice suburb.....I helped her developed a n internet business as the internet came into reality..What followed was a nightmare for us all...She became a staunch feminist..researched laws in our state that give incentive to women to leave their husbands as the law forces the husband to pay their apartments even if that means bankruptcy for the husband...planned the entire thing well while I worked 55 hours a week to support the family...and boom, she caught me by surprise with an "american citizenship" which she got without telling me ( she controlled the mail and the house utilities) she filed the same day for divorce..and then I found the books that she had researched well, with such tittles as " how to win in divorce" etc...that said, she always confirmed that things were ok..even before our family therapist ...to make a long story story short, it was a Tsunami, the children were traumatized to no end...I became so ill I ended in the hospital several times to the point of almost loosing the house...while she got an executive position with a Belgian company in New York, drives a new car and buy expensive gifts to the children and I live in poverty,..paying her rent fully....and my house as well...I learned from that to pay attention to dreams telling me a warning sign.,specially when related to the Camino...
Victor Morgado
5-10 posts

Camino(s) past & future: (1991) (1995) (1996)

Hi Victor,

I'm sad to hear how your story went, and i hope/wish you do find love and happiness again. Sadly it's not everybody who is lucky, and we can only hope that the one we choose to settle down with doesn't turn out to be a disaster or using you.

I wish that everything will turn for you and that you can have some awesome happy moments with your children.

Best of luck
Jenny

I met a Camino couple this summer on my way from Santiago to Finisterre. They had met in 2010 on their way to Santiago. He was Italian and she was German. It took them some time to figure out a living arrangement, but they both reside in Italy now, and spent a few days walking from Santiago to Finisterre to finish off what they had started, and decide how to proceed with their now 3 year old relationship. It was really great to spend some time with them.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you all for sharing! It is so nice to see that the majority of responses were positive. The wedding is on Wednesday!

I met my current partner on day 3 of my Camino (he is Irish, I am Australian)... we walked together till Logrono (he was doing the Camino in stages from the start after doing it from Sarria the year before), we kept in touch, he came back to walk me the end 50 Kms to Santiago.

The rest is history I guess, I live in Ireland now and we are discussing marriage soon.

Time will tell but from here all I can say is, it feel very right! :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
3 hours after arriving in SJPP this past April, feeling grumpy because there was no rooms left at the albergue I had hoped to stay at, I was unpacking my things amongst the rows of bunk beds where I did find a bed. A fellow pilgrim in the bunk across from me introduced himself as Austrian, and after the usual pleasantries, we went our separate ways to explore the town. After running into each other 3 times, I invited him to join me for a glass of wine, and he replied "of course, why not!" We had wine, then dinner, then after walking back to the albergue, decided to meet in the morning to start the Camino together. To make a long story short, 39 days, SJPP to Santiago, 3 days in Finesterre and a final 3 days exploring Madrid, we were still enjoying wine and dinner together. We both came alone from opposite sides of the world, looking for time for personal reflection and ended up instead spending every minute of the journey together. As he said when I sadly needed to take a taxi urgently to a doctor for an injury, and he said he would come with me, "We started the Camino together, we finish the Camino together!". We just spent another 3 weeks together with him visiting me in the US. Where it will go, who knows, but we are both grateful for the Camino bringing us together!

Paloma Y Lena at San Mamede del Camino has a lot to answer for! That's where I met a peligrina who I fell for while we walked from there to Santiago. I smile whenever someone posts that the Camino will provide!!! :) Although it is only 2 months so far, I am about to return to Spain to visit her for the second time already. (She is Spanish and lives in the mountains north of Madrid and I live in England). We are already discussing our next caminos (yes plural). We feel that we have started out on our longest journey already. Your best wishes for our future in your prayers will be gratefully received.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm going to meet and walk the Camino with a wonderful man from Oregon, USA, whom i have never met in real life. We started out as 'just' penpals a year ago, but after 7-8 month of writing together we could not help but falling for each other and now we speak every day through Skype. Since we both always wanted to walk the Camino we decided to walk it together this coming September, so we will see what it leads to :) We will meet (for the first time irl) in London on the 30th of July and make our way to the Camino going through UK and France first. I can't wait to meet him :D

What a fun thread. I would love to know how this worked out!!!! Do share jennylu ;)

If I heard it right, during Ellen's interview with Emilio Esteves and Martin Sheen, Emilio said that his son met a woman during his Camino (years prior to the movie), fell in love, married her and STAYED in Spain....never came back from the trip.

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app
I am pretty sure that the son of Emilo, Taylor married a young lady, Julia, whose Grandparents have a great B&B called El Molino a day outside of Burgos.

I am pretty sure that the son of Emilo, Taylor married a young lady, Julia, whose Grandparents have a great B&B called El Molino a day outside of Burgos.

The Casa Rurale called El Molino is located in Vilviestre de Muno. This handsome bed and breakfast is a renovated water mill. It was my luxurious pleasure to stay one frosty February night in 2009 when the municipal albergue in nearby Hornillos del Camino was closed for much needed repairs. After spoting a miniscule ad attached to a tree (!!) I telephoned El Molino. Their car soon taxied me to spend the night at the mill and would return two other pilgrims and me back to the CF next morning to continue our walking. At the mill all was most gracious, very comfortable and wonderfully HEATED during that cold meseta night.

Margaret Meredith

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Believe everyone on the Camino in June 2014 heard the story of the young American woman who had to quit walking in Burgoes due to the rest of her family deciding to end their walk. When her new German boyfriend heard she was quitting, he told her (by cell I assume) to wait for him in front of the Cathedral in Burgos at lunch so he could say good-by. He said he would walk thru the night and all morning for 50 kilometers to see her for one last time. We were there at lunch with a small herd of others who had met both of them waiting to see if he would appear--he did.

The Casa Rurale called El Molino is located in Vilviestre de Muno. This handsome bed and breakfast is a renovated water mill. It was my luxurious pleasure to stay one frosty February night in 2009 when the municipal albergue in nearby Hornillos del Camino was closed for much needed repairs. After spoting a miniscule ad attached to a tree (!!) I telephoned El Molino. Their car soon taxied me to spend the night at the mill and would return two other pilgrims and me back to the CF next morning to continue our walking. At the mill all was most gracious, very comfortable and wonderfully HEATED during that cold meseta night.

Margaret Meredith

We stayed in El Molino too, finding out about it in the grocery store in Hornillos. The dinner there was course after course of wonderful Spanish food. The hostess was very gracious, the rooms were comfortable, the ambience was serene, the grounds were gorgeous, and the pilgrims were memorable. El Molino is a great casa rural!

€46,-
Good moderating! It had gotten pretty lowbrow and tasteless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jenny, buenas suerte and buen Camino! :)

€149,-

Yes, good luck and I hope it works out for you both. But your Camino will be about finding yourself at the same time.

Paloma Y Lena at San Mamede del Camino has a lot to answer for! That's where I met a peligrina who I fell for while we walked from there to Santiago. I smile whenever someone posts that the Camino will provide!!! :) Although it is only 2 months so far, I am about to return to Spain to visit her for the second time already. (She is Spanish and lives in the mountains north of Madrid and I live in England). We are already discussing our next caminos (yes plural). We feel that we have started out on our longest journey already. Your best wishes for our future in your prayers will be gratefully received.
I like this thread! Dear Al, did your Spanish senorita left her mountains to join you in England? or did you swap England for the mountains of Madrid?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Believe everyone on the Camino in June 2014 heard the story of the young American woman who had to quit walking in Burgoes due to the rest of her family deciding to end their walk. When her new German boyfriend heard she was quitting, he told her (by cell I assume) to wait for him in front of the Cathedral in Burgos at lunch so he could say good-by. He said he would walk thru the night and all morning for 50 kilometers to see her for one last time. We were there at lunch with a small herd of others who had met both of them waiting to see if he would appear--he did.[/QUOTE
Neither. It has been an arms length thing (very long arms).
I'm sorry Al.:(

I met a lovely spaniard on my camino last year. It didn't last but we remain the best of friends. And will be catching up after my second camino which I start on the 24th august.

Not sure if this is really Romantic or not, but.... A lot of us met the guy from Holland who was walking the Camino in June because his wife threw him out of the house and divorced him because he would not work. He said that she had a job, so why should he bother working? He told us he was walking the Camino in order that God would change her mind and have her take him back home. But..he said he still would not get a job!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.