• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Rules?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So right Al!

By the way "leave only footprints" is widely attributed to Chief Seattle, a Native American, who was a 19th c ancestral leader of the Suquamish Tribe in what is now the state of Washington where a major city is named in his honor. During the mid 20th century such phrases became slogans for the ecological movement. However recent research has shown that Chief Seattle never spoke or wrote these words....Nevertheless whomever did first speak them coined the perfect ecological walker's motto.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Al, so disappointed in you, surely the number 1 rule on the camino is to join any Irish peregrinos enjoying a cerveza for then a world of possibilities and indeed impossibilities awaits to be visited? :rolleyes:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
These could be possible rules of the camino as well.

Ask and the camino will provide.

Do not walk the camino before you walk the camino.

Do not chase or try to keep up with other perigrinos, it will all work out as it should.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Al, so disappointed in you, surely the number 1 rule on the camino is to join any Irish peregrinos enjoying a cerveza for then a world of possibilities and indeed impossibilities awaits to be visited? :rolleyes:

The only Irish peregrina I met looked at me like I had two heads when I ordered a beer. I think she may have been faking her Irishness :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The only Irish peregrina I met looked at me like I had two heads when I ordered a beer. I think she may have been faking her Irishness :)

I stayed at Miraz with 2 peregrinas from Derry, it was July the 25th 2010 and the hospitaleros had given permission to all the pilgrims to stay out late and go to the festivities going on in the village, as long as we came back quietly. Most people went back to the Albergue at 1.30 am, the Irish Girls had been knocking back the Vodka and Tonics and had got me started on G & T's. We decided at about 4.30am it would be rude to go back then so hung on in there till about 6.30. The next 2 days of walking were an absolute curse and penance. My camino rule for drinking with the Irish.... Once bitten, twice shy.

I stayed at Miraz with 2 peregrinas from Derry, it was July the 25th 2010 and the hospitaleros had given permission to all the pilgrims to stay out late and go to the festivities going on in the village, as long as we came back quietly. Most people went back to the Albergue at 1.30 am, the Irish Girls had been knocking back the Vodka and Tonics and had got me started on G & T's. We decided at about 4.30am it would be rude to go back then so hung on in there till about 6.30. The next 2 days of walking were an absolute curse and penance. My camino rule for drinking with the Irish.... Once bitten, twice shy.
Well there you are you need to watch the Old G&Ts they creep up on you and toy with your mind Mike, those Irish girls knew all that, thats why they stuck to Vodka. Hic……up!!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well there you are you need to watch the Old G&Ts they creep up on you and toy with your mind Mike, those Irish girls knew all that, thats why they stuck to Vodka. Hic……up!!
The Irish Girls were still minging like me! I was drinking an expensive gin, prior experience has told me that its the impurities in a drink which will cause just as many problems as the alcohol. Unfortunately good gin still causes a lot more problems than just drinking water and going to bed at 9.30pm.

The Irish Girls were still minging like me! I was drinking an expensive gin, prior experience has told me that its the impurities in a drink which will cause just as many problems as the alcohol. Unfortunately good gin still causes a lot more problems than just drinking water and going to bed at 9.30pm.
Hi Mike - would hanging out with pilgrims who drink water and go to bed at 9.30pm be more fun? I wonder! (well, not too much!) ;)
I think the Irish Girls may have had their own rule "make the most of EVERY moment" - good on them (and good on you too).
Cheers - Jenny

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Cheers Mike! I agree with you about the Irish craziness - it's so engaging. The Irish zest for life is something that I always admire about all those from the Emerald Isle.
If you have any photographic 'evidence' from 'that' night in Miraz, we'd love to see it on the Forum!:D

Rule No. 1 Put your right foot forward.
Rule No. 2 follow with your left foot.
Rule No. 3 Keep doing this and arrive
Rule No. 4 Love your neighbour as yourself.
Rule No. 6 Catch the Camino spirit and do it all again? (On another route.)

The 'take nothing but pictures' rule should be qualified with....'where permitted'. Doing the guided tour of the monastery in Oseira this week some naughty pilgrims were taking sneaky pictures behind the monk's back. I don't know why the monks don't want people to take pictures but they must have their reasons. It makes me cringe a bit.

On the Irish, I met a lovely elderly Irish couple from Bangor yesterday in the square in Santiago. They had arrived in a bus outside the Parador and sat themselves down beside my walking companion and myself obviously hoping to chat to some 'real' pilgrims. They were knowledgeable, respectful of the walking pilgrims, and delighted when I showed them the new Compostela and the Franciscan one. Photos were taken. I think we made each other's day! :)

Cheers Mike! I agree with you about the Irish craziness - it's so engaging. The Irish zest for life is something that I always admire about all those from the Emerald Isle.
If you have any photographic 'evidence' from 'that' night in Miraz, we'd love to see it on the Forum!:D
Hi Jenny I followed my own rule for that moment ... Leave no Photographic Prints...But there is 2 Scottish members of CSJ who do hospitalero stints who have a photos of the 3 of us looking sheepish on the patio at Miraz.

My wife reminded me of the rule, "What happens on the Camino stays on the Camino" after I told her the story of the naked woman who slept on top of me at O'Cebreiro . . . . . . . :cool:

I wonder if she was one of the same gals that @mikevasey was drinking with . . .

Hi Jenny I followed my own rule for that moment ... Leave no Photographic Prints...But there is 2 Scottish members of CSJ who do hospitalero stints who have a photos of the 3 of us looking sheepish on the patio at Miraz.
Hi Mike - 'glad to hear that you followed your own very sensible rule for "that" night in Miraz! These things can come back to bite you! Seriously though, it sounds as though it was an absolutely magical night, and one to remember.
Cheers - Jenny

€83,-
Hi Mike - 'glad to hear that you followed your own very sensible rule for "that" night in Miraz! These things can come back to bite you! Seriously though, it sounds as though it was an absolutely magical night, and one to remember.
Cheers - Jenny
. The whole of the day was special and was a lesson in its way in how the two hospitaleros service to the pilgrims could transform normal situations into something extra-special. Miraz was full so they allowed people to sleep in the area out the back of the albergue and then asked the owners of the nearby building which hosted youth groups if they could house pilgrims there, then they prepared paella and other little treats and had 30 pilgrims sat at a long table on the patio outside and then just stepped back and let us enjoy it. Not sure if I want to do hospitalero work yet but if I do then they are the example to me, good hospitaleros are worth their weight in gold!

. The whole of the day was special and was a lesson in its way in how the two hospitaleros service to the pilgrims could transform normal situations into something extra-special. Miraz was full so they allowed people to sleep in the area out the back of the albergue and then asked the owners of the nearby building which hosted youth groups if they could house pilgrims there, then they prepared paella and other little treats and had 30 pilgrims sat at a long table on the patio outside and then just stepped back and let us enjoy it. Not sure if I want to do hospitalero work yet but if I do then they are the example to me, good hospitaleros are worth their weight in gold!
Wow Mike! That sounds completely wonderful! Was it the CSJ albergue at Miraz? If the hospitaleros were Scottish I suspect it may have been.

My wife reminded me of the rule, "What happens on the Camino stays on the Camino" after I told her the story of the naked woman who slept on top of me at O'Cebreiro . . . . . . . :cool:

I wonder if she was one of the same gals that @mikevasey was drinking with . . .
Now Wayfarer had that offer on Camino I wonder if its the same woman he couldn't keep it quiet the whole albergue heard her ask if he minded, but I don't think it was at O'Cebreiro? ;) But I understand he couldn't refuse!o_O

Not too sure where the tree/forest comes in but the rest of this seems a pretty good way for a pilgrim to be .....
The tree was taken out of the Joni Mitchell Tree Museum. At risk of stretching that reference to the Camino further, "They paved paradise and put up an asphalt road."

Last edited:
Can't remember where exactly once but I loved the slogan posted outside one town which read:

"Pan y Vino esta Camino!"

Very true, with more emphasis on the Vino a definite pleasure in any company

Regarding the rubbish I met a couple from the SA Confraternity in St Jean d'Angeley who were giving out bags for rubbish. The plan being to get everyone to fill a bag with rubbish from the Camino on one day of their trip for the benefit of all.

A great idea and one I'll be following on the Primitivo this July.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

errrmmm .. when you say "on top" do you mean "above" ... just wondering .........

errrmmm .. when you say "on top" do you mean "above" ... just wondering .........
She was floating . . . on a raft of alcohol.

It was the evening of the Eve of the Feast of St. John. We were at the municipal albergue at O'Cebreiro. A group of very "lively" young people stayed up in the commons/kitchen area imbibing heavily. Evidently, they lit a fire in a small bowl to jump over it (rather like the larger celebrations outside where people were leaping over bonfires, a cultural bit I have yet to investigate). Some time around 1 am, the group finished and tiptoed into the dorm and woke me up (because there's nothing noisier than a drunk trying to be quiet). In the fog of sleep, I noted that one of these people was by my bed, rustling around. Then, up the ladder she went (my head was by the ladder) and she "caught my attention" as she climbed up.

I woke early the next morning, wondering if it had all been a dream, but there on the ground was a trail of shoes, shorts, shirt, bra, and panties leading to the base of the ladder. As best I can tell, she might have worn socks, but I wasn't about to inquire.

Perhaps not as glorious as my segue suggests, but that is the story about the night a naked lady slept on top of me in O'Cebreiro.

The postscript to the story is the very flat look my wife gave me after I told her the story and inquired if she was going to wear socks to bed that night . . . On the bright side, our couch is slightly more comfortable then the average Camino bunk!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow Mike! That sounds completely wonderful! Was it the CSJ albergue at Miraz? If the hospitaleros were Scottish I suspect it may have been.
Yep it was the CSJ one. If my knee holds up on my soon to happen Camino the one thing which I am looking forward to is been on the Frances when all the albergues are open, when I walked it in November,Rabanal was shut and the other one I wanted to stay at the Italian one in Itero. Not sure if you have done your hospitalero period yet but would like to say good luck for it and you!

So, I went out and researched the fires a bit and found the following:

In summer 2015, I think I will stay at a hostel or pension where I can stay out after dark and join the revelry (with moderation of course, but I will remind my son he can be my "designated walker" if my moderation is immoderate). If we leave the week his school lets out, we should be in (or very close to) Santiago, which I can only assume will be quite lively.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And they call us thieves... The fires of Litha offer heat back to the sun as it starts its retreat into winter. Thank you father for your gift, I do not need all that you have given in your generosity.

Nice to see that otherwise due ritual is served: nudity, alcohol, shared food - and some regrets. It seems we pagans are still there on the Camino to an extent I had not fully appreciated.

And they call us thieves... The fires of Litha offer heat back to the sun as it starts its retreat into winter. Thank you father for your gift, I do not need all that you have given in your generosity.

Nice to see that otherwise due ritual is served: nudity, alcohol, shared food - and some regrets. It seems we pagans are still there on the Camino to an extent I had not fully appreciated.
If there is honor among thieves, it stands to reason there might be pagans on the Camino . . . ;)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My tale is of a night in Burgos where in the wee hours of the morning two guys crawled into the rack above me.

Fortunately the bunks in Burgos are built solidly. I felt and heard nothing. Perhaps it was more innocent than it appeared.

I recall feeling somewhat fraught.

Rule No. 1 Put your right foot forward.
Rule No. 2 follow with your left foot.
Rule No. 3 Keep doing this and arrive
Rule No. 4 Love your neighbour as yourself.
Rule No. 6 Catch the Camino spirit and do it all again? (On another route.)

Cejanus, I'd love to know what Rule 5 is (assuming a moderator felt the need to remove it).

Senor San Juan is big in Asturias as well, they have celebrations which felt like they could get a bit wild when I walked out to the one at Amandi near Vilavicioasa. I headed back at 1 ish (sober) to my pension then was woke up at 5.00 by two of the drunkest people I have ever seen who were covered in garlands of real flowers and smelling of bonfires.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Yep it was the CSJ one. If my knee holds up on my soon to happen Camino the one thing which I am looking forward to is been on the Frances when all the albergues are open, when I walked it in November,Rabanal was shut and the other one I wanted to stay at the Italian one in Itero. Not sure if you have done your hospitalero period yet but would like to say good luck for it and you!
Hi Mike - 'good to hear that it was the CSJ one. The very best of luck for your upcoming Camino - gorgeous time of the year for it.
I'll be at Rabanal from 30 June to 16 July, so I'm on the countdown now - thanks for your good wishes. (btw - can't wait!!!) I want to do my absolute 'best' for all who stay at Gaucelmo. I really admire your hospitaleros at Miraz for everything they did - they showed true Camino spirit.
Take joy in every step Mike -
Cheers - Jenny

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Cejanus, I'd love to know what Rule 5 is (assuming a moderator felt the need to remove it).
Hi James,
Nah just still learning to count as an oldie. I can't blame my teachers I had the best but I suppose if they read this they would say. "Yep he still can't count but he turned out to be quite a nice gentle soul who learned the more important things in life such as walking the camino and enjoying life, observing nature and caring for all those around him." AND I thought I was good at numbers. I must be as I save the pennies and when I have enough of them i trade them in for an airline ticket and a journey of a lifetime.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Mike - 'good to hear that it was the CSJ one. The very best of luck for your upcoming Camino - gorgeous time of the year for it.
I'll be at Rabanal from 30 June to 16 July, so I'm on the countdown now - thanks for your good wishes. (btw - can't wait!!!) I want to do my absolute 'best' for all who stay at Gaucelmo. I really admire your hospitaleros at Miraz for everything they did - they showed true Camino spirit.
Take joy in every step Mike -
Cheers - Jenny
Thanks Jenny for your goodwishes ,and I hope that you have an incredible time at Rabanal. You might see me at the end of your time there. I start in Montpellier next week and fly out of Coruna on the 25th July, the hope is to walk to Santiago, if it goes well I am going to stay at Rabanal(or try to), I do sweeping,cleaning, washing, tidying and cooking so if I do turn up you can rope me into these. Good luck Jenny

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Mike and biarritzdon -
It would be fantastic to see you both at Rabanal ! We will make you very welcome ! Thanks so much, Mike, for the offer to help out - I really appreciate it. ( I'll pack an extra pair of Marigolds for you :D !).
Take joy in every step on your Caminos -
Cheers - Jenny

€46,-
I'll be at Rabanal from 30 June to 16 July, so I'm on the countdown now - thanks for your good wishes. (btw - can't wait!!!) I want to do my absolute 'best' for all who stay at Gaucelmo.
Cheers - Jenny

Hi jenny,
So near now ! Your time as hospitallers., and Spain.

I know both yourself and Julie are doing the same time (as posted) at Rabanal soon, so there will be two forum members for pilgrims to meet!

Do you know if there is a place on forum where a list is updated of members doing this & where they will be & dates?
I wouldn't like to bypass an opportunity to meet a fellow forum member., by inadvertently stopping in the place next town. I won't be walking when you're there but wondered if there is a sort of calendar somewhere of hospitaleros.

Eg. Recent pilgrims arriving in Sdc got to meet Laurie! Peregrina2000.

Buen camino
Annie

Hi jenny,
So near now ! Your time as hospitallers., and Spain.

I know both yourself and Julie are doing the same time (as posted) at Rabanal soon, so there will be two forum members for pilgrims to meet!

Do you know if there is a place on forum where a list is updated of members doing this & where they will be & dates?
I wouldn't like to bypass an opportunity to meet a fellow forum member., by inadvertently stopping in the place next town. I won't be walking when you're there but wondered if there is a sort of calendar somewhere of hospitaleros.

Eg. Recent pilgrims arriving in Sdc got to meet Laurie! Peregrina2000.

Buen camino
Annie

Hi Annie - thanks for your good wishes! It'll be really special to meet up with other Forum members and it's something I'm very much looking forward to.

I've checked re a list of Forum member hospitaleros and unfortunately I'm not aware of one. It's a great idea though - I imagine the list would be quite extensive when you take into account all the albergues who have volunteers from overseas helping out. There is the Camino calendar - maybe Forum members could post their hospitalero details on the calendar?

See you at our next meeting hopefully -

Cheers - Jenny x

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.