• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Salvado - Western Australia. Have you walked it?

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
Hi all

Looking for some information about this Australian route, beyond what is on the official websites, as it may be a future camino option.

If follows the steps of Dom Rosendo Salvado, born in 1814 in Tui, Galicia in Spain. At the age of 15, he joined the Benedictine Abbey of San Martin at Santiago de Compostela, later moving to Australia and arriving in Fremantle in 1846. He then walked inland towards New Norcia, where a Benedictine Monastery was created.

I know @dougfitz has walked it, and was wondering if someone else has done it and would like to share their impressions :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No, but I’ll be watching this thread to learn more!

I walked it the second year it got going, in late August. Friendly group ,we started at St Joseph's church in Subiaco. I remember long days with lovely scenery and comfortable ,shared accommodation. I'm sure it has changed a lot now . Enjoyed walking into New Norcia with the bells ringing. My memory is not so good and I did not keep a journal in those days. Susan Morris has walked more recently .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Friendly group ,we started at St Joseph's church in Subiaco. I remember long days with lovely scenery and comfortable ,shared accommodation. I'm sure it has changed a lot now .

I contacted the group organizer, and it still starts in St Josephs church in Subiaco. Accommodation also seems to be in nice shared places.
They are doing the route in 7 days of 20 to 28km, and looks like a part of it is marked with shell-like symbols.

From your experience, would you reccomend it, @camino07 ?

Yes,I would definitely recommend it. I made a good friend there who I still see at our Camino meetings and at other times. Staying in the old convent in New Norcia was fun. Now you have made me think about it i may do it again one day.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We did this in Sept 2017 as part of an organised group. It was interesting to do and the accomodation was prearranged. However, for me it was a very different experience to the Camino Frances. We stayed two nights at each accomodation location, and often bused there. I discovered my personal preference is to do things at my own pace, in my own time, & in my own way. And I definitely like to walk in & walk out

We have not walked the pilgrimage but spent a few days in New Norcia.

Would highly recommend a visit. It is a little slice of Spain in Western Australia. It’s the only monastic town in Australia. Bishop Salvado started the Monastery in the 1870’s. It has an amazing history of farming and education, though not much of it is left now.

There is a special connection to SDC. Salvado studied at San Martin Pinario and has the dubious distinction of bringing the Eucalyptus trees to Spain.

We stayed at the guest house in the Benedictine Monastery, went to vespers and enjoyed the gentle hospitality and serenity the monks offer. The museum, school and gallery tours are fascinating.

8DE4535D-3219-471F-9D70-DF77519BB5B7.jpeg33857130-A565-4D84-9D9F-9C27352D975E.jpegA9575C4A-724E-4990-9E18-7396981A6AA0.jpeg18D4263E-DBFE-4794-9547-66C6254E2D78.jpeg8B8CB3A6-3EEC-4002-BA22-3EDB038F47C3.jpegF0EFA163-7EAD-4ABC-B0E4-98EA8C0D4097.jpeg

Ok, I contacted the group organizer and looks very likely we will be doing this camino in 2020. Looks like food and accomodation are all arranged, so packing should be even lighter than what we normally take for caminos in Spain.

I walked it the second year it got going,
We did this in Sept 2017 as part of an organised group.

For those that did it, what did you carry with you each day in the day pack? What do you need that may be different from a Camino in Spain?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi-vis waistcoat is needed as you walk along a busy road at one point. Otherwise just raincoat,water and small first aid kit,I take a plastic bag or something to sit on at rest stops. We were given morning tea but take some money for wine and snacks for the evening. Bus will stop at shops on occasions. Of course things will have changed nowadays,maybe go on their website.

Ok, I contacted the group organizer and looks very likely we will be doing this camino in 2020. Looks like food and accomodation are all arranged, so packing should be even lighter than what we normally take for caminos in Spain.

For those that did it, what did you carry with you each day in the day pack? What do you need that may be different from a Camino in Spain?

All you need when walking each day is a daypack with drinks, sun protection, wet/windy weather jacket, first aid kit, a small groundsheet or similar, snacks, high vis jacket, whistle, phone/camera, personal supplies & money. There are very few cafes or public toilets, and there is a lot of time spent in the Australian bush - something I loved. I came to appreciate how each range of hills has its own flora & fauna. The organisers provide a comprehensive list of what’s required & supplied meals. We took suitcases which were transported, which for us was quite different to being on a Spanish camino. We also found that fitting into the structure & rhythm of days set by others had its own challenges. However, we were very pleased we did it, despite the differences. We met some lovely people and enjoyed the sense of fellowship & history. I hope it all works out for you, enjoy - buen Camino

Guys, is this done along many roads or tracks in the bush?
Sounds interesting if done in the wild flower season.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Guys, is this done along many roads or tracks in the bush?
Sounds interesting if done in the wild flower season.
The route will have a mix of everything but pure scrub bashing. It has been realigned over the years since I walked it, when it was a mix of pedestrian footpaths, shared paths, bush tracks, farm roads and some more busy roadsides. The new route alignment seems to be a bit more walker friendly, but also slightly longer to achieve that.

I had planned to walk this last year, but travel restrictions prevented me going to Western Australia. So now they have eased, I am now able to get there. I will be on my way to Perth next week to start walking with the second 2022 group on 4 Sep. It will be interesting to see the changes that have taken place since I walked it eleven years ago.

I had planned to walk this last year, but travel restrictions prevented me going to Western Australia. So now they have eased, I am now able to get there. I will be on my way to Perth next week to start walking with the second 2022 group on 4 Sep. It will be interesting to see the changes that have taken place since I walked it eleven years ago.
Doug, please post about this experience.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes ,I walked it way back when it first started and found it as Doug says. Also was booked for last year but we could only walk the first day to Guildford. Very interested in hearing about the changes since then, Doug.
I did enjoy the experience.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back