• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Salvador Albergues

caminobbz2021

Time of past OR future Camino
I am doing the Camino Salvador from Leon to Oviedo (and then on to gijon) later in May. Does anyone have any tips for albergues / hostels / good routes and tips along this route?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am doing the Camino Salvador from Leon to Oviedo (and then on to gijon) later in May. Does anyone have any tips for albergues / hostels / good routes and tips along this route?

Hi! Are you aware of the gronze website?
Always very good up to date.

I did it 2019, then walked to Avilés and on to Santiago on the Norte. In some parts you have to call ahead to let the albergue now that you are coming. However, I have no idea if all the albergues will be open this year.
This is an excellent blog/guide

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Probably the most unusual and beautiful albergue along the way is Sandra’s in Bendueños. It is about 1.5 kms off the camino, up a hill from the little village of Herias. There is a sign marking exactly where you turn off. It’s a beautiful spot, highly recommended. The next morning there is a marked route that will avoid taking you all the way back to Herias but instead directly to Campomanes.

The albergue in Pajares is great too, so it’s a tough choice because the two are close together and most people don’t want to stop in both. Tough choice.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I did it 2019, then walked to Avilés and on to Santiago on the Norte. In some parts you have to call ahead to let the albergue now that you are coming. However, I have no idea if all the albergues will be open this year.
This is an excellent blog/guide

I know it is short and I have checked it out a few times and I have definitely not been fooled by the short length. If I was going to torture myself again I think I would rather go back to France and start again in Le Puy! I learned quickly on that Camino as I went up and down and sideways to keep thinking about dinner in the GIte as I felt my heart exploding and my body collapsing! I trained for that Camino in Mexico City. Not a hill to be found and you really can't walk that far (Maybe I walked at most 15K in a training day) because you just can't get enough of that clean, crisp, pollution free air of a city in a valley with over 20 million people in the metropolitan area!

I really don’t mean to be a jerk about this, @ltny, but IMHO I can’t imagine that anyone who has walked this route would describe it as anything remotely resembling torture. 😁 Not saying you should walk it, but it might be a lot less “painful” than you think!

View attachment 99392View attachment 99393
no worries. I tortured myself from Le Puy and from Irún and the quiet and beauty of France and the spectacular views and sounds of the Norte definitely was worth every huff and puff as I dragged myself up a hill! I am sure you are right snd I would love it. Just because Gronze.com breaks it into 5 stages who says it is against the Camino rules to walk it in 7 or even 8!!!
I actually plan to do a Madrid/Frances/Salvador/Norte/Francés . I know I have to double back in Oviedo to get back to the Norte. (I know I could do the Primitivo but have a reason for the Norte). I don’t think you could ever be a jerk!:)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My wife and I walked the Salvador in 2019 before heading to Santiago along the Primitivo.

Bendueños was a beautiful stop and well worth the diversion, even with the stiff walk up the hill. Sandra made a great soup for our dinner. By the way, she will also come to Herías to pick you up if you catch her at the right time in case you don't want to climb at the end of the day.

The next time we walk the Salvador, I think we'll stay at the El Embrujo in Poladura de la Tercia rather than at the muni. The muni was clean and comfortable, and gave us the opportunity to visit with some of the children of the town, since the bottom floor is a kind of club house for them. We had dinner at the hotel, and it would have been a nice change for us just to stay there.

I actually plan to do a Madrid/Frances/Salvador/Norte/Francés . I know I have to double back in Oviedo to get back to the Norte.
Really no doubling back to walk from Oviedo to Avilés. It was o e 29 km day of pretty easy walking.
Here's that stage on Gronze.

Really no doubling back to walk from Oviedo to Avilés. It was o e 29 km day of pretty easy walking.
Here's that stage on Gronze.

Gracias amiga
29k! These days I will split that in 2 if I can and call it 2 half days walking and 2 half days rest= 1 day walking and 1 rest day! I love my new math.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I really don’t mean to be a jerk about this, @ltny, but IMHO I can’t imagine that anyone who has walked this route would describe it as anything remotely resembling torture. 😁 Not saying you should walk it, but it might be a lot less “painful” than you think!

View attachment 99392View attachment 99393
I would go so far as to say that this is one of the single best days of walking in all of the peninsula. No better place to be alone.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I relied on the Wisely app GPS to keep me on track on the Camino del Salvador.
When I walked the San Salvador in 3019 I used the Wisely app and wrote at the time when I left Poladura - I started off using the wise pilgrim app, I have used these very successfully on other caminos. However, the one for this camino is worse than useless, it wants to take routes that are nowhere near the marked camino trail.

When I walked the San Salvador in 3019 I used the Wisely app and wrote at the time when I left Poladura - I started off using the wise pilgrim app, I have used these very successfully on other caminos. However, the one for this camino is worse than useless, it wants to take routes that are nowhere near the marked camino trail.
I would love to hear more about this. If any particular sections come to mind, send me a message so that I can fix it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would love to hear more about this. If any particular sections come to mind, send me a message so that I can fix it.
As I mentioned in the post it was in the first section after leaving Poladura. The wisely app was very keen on taking me left of of the track as you walk up the first hill. I kept an eye on it as I followed the yellow markers. The markers took me ahead and up to the highest point whereas the wisely app wanted me to head left then what appeared to be further up the valley before getting me to turn right again to apparently join the markers near the top. Unfortunately, there is no clear safe path at the top for the two to join. I think that if I had blindly followed the app I would have ended up about 200m higher up the slope above the marked way. This was in 2019 so this is mostly by memory.

As I mentioned in the post it was in the first section after leaving Poladura. The wisely app was very keen on taking me left of of the track as you walk up the first hill. I kept an eye on it as I followed the yellow markers. The markers took me ahead and up to the highest point whereas the wisely app wanted me to head left then what appeared to be further up the valley before getting me to turn right again to apparently join the markers near the top. Unfortunately, there is no clear safe path at the top for the two to join. I think that if I had blindly followed the app I would have ended up about 200m higher up the slope above the marked way. This was in 2019 so this is mostly by memory.
I've just had a close look at the current app, as well as my gps track for reference. They are the same, and they match a number of other tracks I just searched for on wikiloc.

I'm not sure what the discrepancy is, but am pretty confident that the track as it currently exists in the app is correct.

In any event, for other using the app do keep a eye out for the arrows and feel free to let me know of errors as I am keen to fix them.

Hey everyone. Another doubt, how important is the weather on this route? I plan to leave Leon tomorrow, but it appears it will rain for the next two days. The first leg to La Robla will be fine in rain I think, but will the leg to Poladura? Or should I take an extra day off and wait for the rain to clear (hopefully!). I don’t want to postpone too much and am happy to walk in rain as long as it is not dangerous, and I will still see the beautiful sights from the third day onwards when the weather clears.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think it was 2017 when I walked the Salvador. I doubt the weather will have changed dramatically. If you are prepared for rain, go for it! Poladura de la Tercia is just a teeny bit more than you might think, you just have to be patient, the first sight of habitation is not the end point, but it is not far from there. Watch out for wolves! ;)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back