• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino San Salvador/Primitivo: Do I need to book accommodation in advance in May?

Anita A

Keep Walking Stay Curious
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés,Finisterre, Muxia, S Salvador, Primitivo.
Hi all
I will walk the San Salvador & Primitivo in May and I am going back and forth on pre-booking or not. I didn’t book anything on my first Camino (Francés/Fisterra) in 2016, except for the last part, but things have changed since then I presume... It’s also a different Camino, especially the San Salvador, and not so easy to walk or take a taxi to the next village if there are no beds. I am a solo female walker so I would not hitchhike either...

I am a little hesitant to book, but I would rather do it than to be without a place to stay. Any advice? Should I book the first nights?

Sorry if there already is a similar thread, I was searching but couldn’t find any.

(Hopefully it will not be the other way around and I’ll end up alone :) Would love to meet other pilgrims)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I haven't walked the Primitivo yet, but when I walked the Salvador in June 2019 there were very few pilgrims on the route. The most in any albergue were three other pilgrims.

Hi all
I will walk the San Salvador & Primitivo in May and I am going back and forth on pre-booking or not. I didn’t book anything on my first Camino (Francés/Fisterra) in 2016, except for the last part, but things have changed since then I presume... It’s also a different Camino, especially the San Salvador, and not so easy to walk or take a taxi to the next village if there are no beds. I am a solo female walker so I would not hitchhike either...

I am a little hesitant to book, but I would rather do it than to be without a place to stay. Any advice? Should I book the first nights?

Sorry if there already is a similar thread, I was searching but couldn’t find any.

(Hopefully it will not be the other way around and I’ll end up alone :) Would love to meet other pilgrims)
We walked the two caminos in September pre-covid. They were both crowded. We nonetheless always found places to stay. I would expect these two to be less crowded in May with Covid still holding down numbers.

Be sure not to miss staying at the albergue in Benduenos. We had always heard it's the best camino on any route. After staying there, we would agree. We still talk about it frequently.

This camino combo is one of the best for so many reasons: the mountains, the panoramas, the fellow pilgrims, Oviedo, Lugo. We fell in love with Asturias.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We walked the two caminos in September pre-covid. They were both crowded. We nonetheless always found places to stay. I would expect these two to be less crowded in May with Covid still holding down numbers.

Be sure not to miss staying at the albergue in Benduenos. We had always heard it's the best camino on any route. After staying there, we would agree. We still talk about it frequently.

This camino combo is one of the best for so many reasons: the mountains, the panoramas, the fellow pilgrims, Oviedo, Lugo. We fell in love with Asturias.
Thanks for the reply :)
Ok, I will probably not book ahead... ”crowded”? Hmm.. I DO want to meet fellow pilgrims, but I hope you’re right that it will be less crowded now since many hostels have closed.
I was planning to walk to llanos de somerón and then to Pola de Lena but maybe I have to reconsider Benduenos. Have heard about the steep walk uphill though..

I have seen so many beautiful films and pictures from these walks so I am really looking forward to doing it. It’s the fifth time I am trying to, so fingers crossed. Had to cancel 3 times due to Covid, and once due to illness. Walked the Saint Olav’s Way in my own country (Sweden) instead, and that was also great, but now I am so eager to do this :)

I haven't walked the Primitivo yet, but when I walked the Salvador in June 2019 there were very few pilgrims on the route. The most in any albergue were three other pilgrims.
Thanks for the reply
I will try to stop worry then and just go with the flow :) I did however notice that it was quite booked when I planned for this walk in September 2021 (this trip was cancelled due to illness)

Thanks for the reply
I will try to stop worry then and just go with the flow :) I did however notice that it was quite booked when I planned for this walk in September 2021 (this trip was cancelled due to illness)
That was because many albergues were closed because of Covid. I'm not sure if the municipals are open yet.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for the reply :)
Ok, I will probably not book ahead... ”crowded”? Hmm.. I DO want to meet fellow pilgrims, but I hope you’re right that it will be less crowded now since many hostels have closed.
I was planning to walk to llanos de somerón and then to Pola de Lena but maybe I have to reconsider Benduenos. Have heard about the steep walk uphill though..

I have seen so many beautiful films and pictures from these walks so I am really looking forward to doing it. It’s the fifth time I am trying to, so fingers crossed. Had to cancel 3 times due to Covid, and once due to illness. Walked the Saint Olav’s Way in my own country (Sweden) instead, and that was also great, but now I am so eager to do this :)
Reasons it was crowded when we walked: 1. There were several walking groups from Korea. 2. Trail running groups in Madrid "discovered" the Camino Salvador. If they had a 4 day weekend, they could train up there, run the entire route, then train back in time for work. It is indeed a trail runner's dream. September is a good time to run as the trails are dry.

The "steep" climb to the albergue is when you arrive in the town below. It's this climb that takes you to this albergue with sweeping views of the valley below and mountains on the other side. We sat on the veranda as we were taught by the locals how to pour cider the Asturian way. It was unforgettable fun, a unique peregrino experience.

If the municipals are open you probably won't have a problem. I walked both last June when they were closed so I did book, something I almost never do.
Sadly it seems like most of them are still closed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Reasons it was crowded when we walked: 1. There were several walking groups from Korea. 2. Trail running groups in Madrid "discovered" the Camino Salvador. If they had a 4 day weekend, they could train up there, run the entire route, then train back in time for work. It is indeed a trail runner's dream. September is a good time to run as the trails are dry.

The "steep" climb to the albergue is when you arrive in the town below. It's this climb that takes you to this albergue with sweeping views of the valley below and mountains on the other side. We sat on the veranda as we were taught by the locals how to pour cider the Asturian way. It was unforgettable fun, a unique peregrino experience.
I will definitely consider staying there then :)

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back