• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Sanabrés From Zamora (VDLP)?

Time of past OR future Camino
CDN, Primitivo, Sanabrés, Portugués, Ruta do Mar,
My question is if you know what is the best way to get from the Barajas airport in Madrid to Zamora as soon as possible? Do I really need to go to Chamartín and catch the train? Are there no busses from the airport that go directly to Zamora? Any experience or information you have about this I will be very grateful for your advice!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My question is if you know what is the best way to get from the Barajas airport in Madrid to Zamora as soon as possible? Do I really need to go to Chamartín and catch the train? Are there no busses from the airport that go directly to Zamora? Any experience or information you have about this I will be very grateful for your advice!
Grupo Avanza offers a bus from Terminal 1 to Zamora. Mondays and Fridays, 9am. Also 9:15 from Terminal 4, but not clear on which days.

Found it by simpy googling barajas zamora autobus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grupo Avanza offers a bus from Terminal 1 to Zamora. Mondays and Fridays, 9am. Found it by simpy googling barajas zamora autobus.

Bummer! I will arrive on a Thursday, so that means that I do have to go into Madrid to catch the train! Thanks Anemone! So, I take it, you did the Camino Sanabrés beginning in Zamora too?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Bummer! I will arrive on a Thursday, so that means that I do have to go into Madrid to catch the train! Thanks Anemone! So, I take it, you did the Camino Sanabrés beginning in Zamora too?
No never have, just googled. I did do the Norte from San Sebastian to Llanes and the Primitivo last year and loved them both. VLP is interesting to me in terms of being an alternative in the off season. I do no like the heat, and would like to have more options than Mayish-early June and Mid-September to mid-October on the more northern routes.

But go check on their website with your date of arrival, perhaps from T4.

Getting to Chamartin from the airport is as easy as taking an elevator down in T4'
Buying ticket in Office next to the elevator
Catch metro type train to Chamartin
I think it is on or two stops...about 5 minutes.

Really easy to do.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Sanabres starts further up the way. Granje de Mo.....Zamora is still on the VDLP.
Stay in the Albergue in Zamora it is a wonderful place...

I walked the Sanabres only from Ourense. Be prepared for long distances...not many fountains.
Take the alternative to the Monastery in Oseira. ..you won't regret it.
Say hello to Padre Phillip from me.

No never have, just googled. I did do the Norte from San Sebastian to Llanes and the Primitivo last year and loved them both. VLP is interesting to me in terms of being an alternative in the off season. I do no like the heat, and would like to have more options than Mayish-early June and Mid-September to mid-October on the more northern routes.

I loved the Camino del Norte and the Primitivo! Not the Francés for those 2 last days! When I walked it it was unusually rainy and cool, but I didn't mind that at all; the cool temperatures made it so much more pleasant than being exposed to the sun and getting extremely hot, sweaty with the risk being higher for dehydration! San Sebastián has been a favorite city of mine for many years; its architectural and gastronomical offerings are like no other place in Spain.
When I stayed in Llanes I actually rented an amazing apartment just for one night for 20 €! There were 3 of us, so it was a great deal:) Unfortunately, the weather was cool, but I loved walking along the beach and imagining how wonderful to be there soaking the rays and relaxing during the holiday summer months!
Thanks so much Anemone for your recommendations!
Ultreïa!
Mary

Getting to Chamartin from the airport is as easy as taking an elevator down in T4'
Buying ticket in Office next to the elevator

Really easy to do.

Hello Grayland,

Thank you! I was so hoping that I could skip Chamartín and find a direct bus from the airport simply because I'll arrive around noon and wanted to save time. Oh, well, I probably will have to stay an extra day to make sure I see as much as possible in Zamora!:)

Ultreïa!

Mary

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You could also take the train from Madrid to Zamora but it also leaves from Chamartin.
No problem, I have taken the train from T4 to Chamartin many times, it's a breeze. http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/

The Sanabres is wonderful in October, I did it last year at that time (and 2 other times in July).

Hello LTfit,

I know, it's just that I was hoping to save time and be able to leave for Zamora as soon as I got to Madrid.:( It'll work either way, I have to adapt to the circumstances, and definitely will make it a point to stay in Zamora a couple of days to visit all the important historical sites.
Thanks so much, I appreciate your insight and information!

Ultreïa!

Mary

The Sanabres starts further up the way. Granje de Mo.....Zamora is still on the VDLP.

I walked the Sanabres only from Ourense. Be prepared for long distances...not many fountains.

Hello Ingrid,

Thanks so much for the information, I will stay 2 mights in a hotel and my last night in Zamora I'll be at the albergue, I'm looking forward to that because I've read many good reviews and heard good things about it. Monastery of Oseira has been added to my itinerary. I wouldn't miss that experience for anything!:) I certainly will find Padre Phillip and let him know you send your greetings to him:)

Ultreïa!

Mary

No direct bus from the airport on Thursdays.

You can go to Chamartín station to take a train to Zamora. In order to make it, take a Cercanías train at the airport's T4 (they run every 30 minutes).

Another option would be to go to Estación Sur de Autobuses to take a bus to Zamora. In order to make it, take a Cercanías train at the airport's T4 (they run every 30 minutes) and get off at Méndez Álvaro station. Take a look at the web of Avanza (www.avanzabus.com) for info about schedules and fares.

Grupo Avanza offers a bus from Terminal 1 to Zamora. Mondays and Fridays, 9am. Also 9:15 from Terminal 4, but not clear on which days.

The same days that out of Terminal 1. In fact, it's the same bus that starts the route at T1 and makes a later stop at T4.

...it takes a bit longer: 12 minutes.;)

The Sanabres starts further up the way. Granje de Mo.....

Granja de Moreruela.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

You can go to Chamartín station to take a train to Zamora. In order to make it, take a Cercanías train at the airport's T4 (they run every 30 minutes).

Another option would be to go to Estación Sur de Autobuses to take a bus to Madrid. In order to make it, take a Cercanías train at the airport's T4 (they run every 30 minutes) and get off at Méndez Álvaro station. Take a look at the web of Avanza (www.avanzabus.com) for info about schedules and fares.

Hola Castilian,

¡Gracias! I appreciate the detailed information and will add it to my notes!:cool: This will make my transfer go a lot smoother knowing what to do once I get to Barajas.

Ultreïa!

Mary

The same days that out of Terminal 1. In fact said:
Great to know! Thanks so much!

...it takes a bit longer: 12 minutes.;)[/QUOTE said:
I appreciate the heads up! That´s still pretty reasonable time, don´t you think?

Granja de Moreruela.;)[/QUOTE said:

Hello LTfit,

I know, it's just that I was hoping to save time and be able to leave for Zamora as soon as I got to Madrid.:( It'll work either way, I have to adapt to the circumstances, and definitely will make it a point to stay in Zamora a couple of days to visit all the important historical sites.
Thanks so much, I appreciate your insight and information!

Ultreïa!

Mary
For my first night I stayed in Hostal Chiqui (http://www.gronze.com/castilla-y-leon/zamora/zamora/hostal-chiqui) which is very nice & quiet although almost on the main and very busy street (no traffic though). I guess you can find cheaper accommodation if want to stay in Zamora for more days. For last night I would recommend to go to municipal albergue and find some Camino family.
At the park Plaza de Viriato (some 50mts from albergue) and where the Parador is, on the NW corner, there's Tourist Office where you can pick up your pilgrim credencial for free.

Another option would be to go to Estación Sur de Autobuses to take a bus to Zamora. In order to make it, take a Cercanías train at the airport's T4 (they run every 30 minutes) and get off at Méndez Álvaro station. Take a look at the web of Avanza (www.avanzabus.com) for info about schedules and fares.

The same days that out of Terminal 1. In fact, it's the same bus that starts the route at T1 and makes a later stop at T4.

...it takes a bit longer: 12 minutes.;)

Granja de Moreruela.;)
Thanks. .lol

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For my first night I stayed in Hostal Chiqui (http://www.gronze.com/castilla-y-leon/zamora/zamora/hostal-chiqui) which is very nice & quiet although almost on the main and very busy street (no traffic though). I guess you can find cheaper accommodation if want to stay in Zamora for more days. For last night I would recommend to go to municipal albergue and find some Camino family.
At the park Plaza de Viriato (some 50mts from albergue) and where the Parador is, on the NW corner, there's Tourist Office where you can pick up your pilgrim credencial for free.

No the tourist office no longer gives out credentials. Go to the church right beside the albergue.
Also the albergue has some as well in an emergency and at the pleasure if the hospitalero.
Ingrid

No the tourist office no longer gives out credentials. Go to the church right beside the albergue.
Also the albergue has some as well in an emergency and at the pleasure if the hospitalero.
Ingrid
Dober večer, Ingrid ;)

When has that changed??? I've picked one on July 14th... this year...

:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

KinkyOne, as soon as I saw your recommendation for Hostal Chiqui I looked it up for accommodations for my dates and they're completely booked! Bummer! I'll definitely spend my last night at the albergue in Zamora; you're right about making connections right away:) Makes for a more pleasant hike, and begin to enjoy the camaraderie of the pilgrims right away! Awesome that I can get the "Credencial del Peregrino" right there, so no worries about trying to get it ahead of time. Thanks again for your insight!

Ultreïa!

Mary

Ingrid

Oh, oh! I'm so glad to know this, so I will have options for getting it in Zamora:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Re Credentials in Zamora.
Shortly after D"Olors and l got settled we had to figure this out because the Tourist office no longer had them. After talking with them they told us that they no longer would.

Credentials were to be picked up either at the Iglesia de San Cipriano (next to the albergue) or the Convento Clarissa El Transito (sort of on the way to the Catedral ) during opening hours.
Only in an emergency (and if in supply at the albergue).

Official Cellos (to start) are given in all 3 places and the Catedral...but the Cathedral does not issue credentials.

When we talked to the people at the tourist office we were given a semi stern lecture how to be vigilant to not hand out credentials freely. They felt that they were being abused by non pilgrims.
I.e. 1 older and 2 younger people show up at the albergue, one has a well used credential the other 2 somehow have lost theirs...what do you do..the one with offers to pay for a new one for the 2 (yes they are not free - 2 euros). I issue 2 new credentials and with that they can all stay and hopefully they are pilgrims.
The next time a similar case..we send them off to the Convento and welcomed them into the albergue if they showed up with a credential...some do...some don't.
This scenario can be a scam...as per Tourist office.
I liked to err on the side of the pilgrims..l was a softy when it came to this.

You could also take the train from Madrid to Zamora but it also leaves from Chamartin.
No problem, I have taken the train from T4 to Chamartin many times, it's a breeze. http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/

The Sanabres is wonderful in October, I did it last year at that time (and 2 other times in July).
I'm planning on the Sanabres from Zamora in October this year. I realize we have global warming which makes weather unpredictable, but....did you find a lot of rain last year in October on the route?
Thanks

Hi mvirtue! Welcome to the forum!

FWIW, so far it's being a rainy year on Zamora province.

No problem, I have taken the train from T4 to Chamartin many times, it's a breeze. http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/ The Sanabres is wonderful in October, I did it last year at that time (and 2 other times in July).
This train (Madrid/Zamora/Ourence/Santiago) is a two or three times per day service - I think it will take about 4 or 5 hours to Zamora (I have to try to reconcile it with last years trip - I did the reverse - SDC to Madrid).

This train (Madrid/Zamora/Ourence/Santiago) is a two or three times per day service

Nowadays, there are six departures every working day (i.e.: from Mondays to Fridays) and 4 departures every weekend day (i.e.: Saturdays and Sundays).

- I think it will take about 4 or 5 hours to Zamora

Way less. The service has been upgraded to high speed service all the way to Zamora and trains take roughly 1h 30m. Last year, the service was high speed just till Medina del Campo and took something like 2 hours.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I agree, the Monastery in Oseira is a really interesting stop. Also, I highly recommend the albergue in Leira run by, as Brierley mentions, a young Italian couple - I had a memorable experience there. May return.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back