• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Sanabres -- Construction and misc. from June 2013

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have just returned from the Levante/Sanabres and wanted to post comments on the RR and road construction on the Sanabres for others who will be leaving soon. Not that you can do anything about it, of course, but knowing what's coming may make it less jarring. As I've already said in another post, though, I really didn't find that this construction killed the magic of the Sanabres.

The crowds were not bad at all, but there are definitely waves. So if you find a lot of people, hang back or jump ahead and you might find you have a smaller group.

Day 1 -- Zamora to Riego del Camino (33). You will see several "bridges to nowhere" built or in construction, but the camino's path is not affected. The albergue in Riego has 3 rooms of bunks (two smaller in the back, one larger in the front), a small kitchen, sitting area, and nice patio out back. The key can be gotten at the home of the alcadesa, just ask anyone. There is a bar on the highway, serves very mediocre meals but they are edible. Also, a supermarket at #10 on a central street -- no sign, no indication that it's a store but just ask anyone for the tienda. The owners took down the sign after two robberies and told me they will open at any reasonable hour for pilgrims. Small but adequate inventory. We were there on a Sunday and one of the most fabulous fruit trucks I've ever seen came through. So be on the lookout.

Day 2 -- Riego to Tabara (31). Into Tabara there are construction signs but based on my memory from my last Sanabres, the route remains exactly the same. I stayed in the hotel El Roble while my companions were in the albergue. It's a pretty standard albergue, but showers were cold and standards of cleanliness not too high. Rooms in the Roble are 18 euros, 9 euro menu is decent.

Day 3 -- Tabara to Carmazana de Tera (26). Some re-routing right out of town and construction is visible. It was early morning so no one had started up the trucks yet. You will come to a well-indicated option -- go straight on to Villafranca (lots of pavement but there's a bar or two) or head R and stick with the camino to Bercianos. All off road but coffee options are slimmer. We went the Bercianos route and met a resident who told us there are 200 of them who all have keys to the municipal social center, which they open up to make coffee for pilgrims. We had an absolutely fantastic coffee, probably the best of the Sanabres, since it was made with one of those fancy new nespresso type machines. Very friendly people and there's a basic albergue there too.

We bypassed Santa Marta and Santa Croya (Anita's albergue and the municipal albergue) to even out the next few days' kms. So we continued on to Carmazana de Tera, about 1 km off the camino. Very nice one star hotel, 30 euros for bed, dinner, breakfast. It's the Hotel Juan Manuel , 980-649-019

Day 4 -- Camarzana to Mombuey (31.5) Can't remember any construction on this stage. Several new albergues, though: La Trucha (donativo in Olleros de Tera, with bar serving meals); Christian albergue in Vila de Farfon (coffee/drinks/snacks also available on donativo basis -- we had a nice rest here). Municipal albergue in Mombuey, 11 beds in one big room with a table and chairs. One bathroom. Several places to eat on the road.

Day 5 -- Mombuey to Puebla Sanabria (31). A few detours for AVE construction. The first comes right after you cross the superhighway upon leaving Mombuey. The arrows point one way, and a sign saying DESVIO points you another way. Desvio means detour. Take the detour. There's another detour upon leaving Entrepenas, this one takes you along the Autovia service road for a few kms, but looking at the great maps I have in my Levante guide, it's clear it didn't add any kms either. This is a wonderful stage, the only drawback being the 4 kms asphalt into Puebla. Other albergues on this stage, aside from the well-known one in Rionegro. San Salvador has a small albergue (no stores, though, so bring food), and Asturianos has opened one in the polideportivo (3 bars). Puebla de Sanabria's private albergue is fabulous, probably the best albergue on the Sanabres, IMO. Right on the road into town.

Day 6 -- Puebla to Lubian (31). Leaving Puebla you will have 2 kms on asphalt at the start, but then be on the lookout for getting off the road and walking by the river. You can stay on that river path by paying careful attention. At one point, you'll be back up on the highway, but if you watch carefully you'll see another bunch of faded arrows to get you back by the river. Otherwise you'll be on the highway for many more kms than necessary. Requejo has a nice private albergue.

This is a stage with a lot of asphalt and some AVE detours. After Requejo, you have to stay on the N-525 for 4kms. You can see construction to your left. Once you get off the asphalt, you then do some crazy looping around to avoid the highway and to avoid the superhighway, and you go under those roads and can see the tunnel up above. This re-routing has been there for years now, since the autovia was built. After the ascent you'll enter Padornelo (bars and a hotel). BEAUTIFUL walk from here to Lubian, through Aciberos on some of the trickiest wettest walking of the trip, but just gorgeous. We crossed over what was clearly the start of clearing for the train. No problem now, but I assume there will have to be detours. That will be a real shame, because this is one gorgeous section.

Municipal albergue in Lubian, about 15 beds and more mattresses. One bath with shower. Kitchen. The two casas rurales have now closed, but the Bar has rooms on top. We saw some pilgrims staying there but there are also a lot of workers there for the construction so you may have trouble getting a room. Don't miss the short walk up to see the wolf trap in Lubian. Really interesting, probably from 17 or 18 C.

More to come. Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Day 7 -- Lubian to A Gudina (24). A WOW walk. No construction interference that I can remember.
Bar in Hotel Spa Villavella (pilgrim rooms 75 euro for a double with breakfast and a day at the spa). Good breakfast. There is also a bar on the highway in Villavella, but you would have to backtrack some. Lots of different terrain, almost all off-road, just a great walk. In A Gudina, eat at Oscars, 10 euro menu that is very decent (there are other options, but seeing all the workers eating here was a good recommendation, we thought).

Day 8 -- A Gudina to Laza (34). LOTS of pavement, at the beginning and the end, but this is not because of the construction. There's a little detour coming into Campobecerros and some pretty bad eyesores, and then after Campobecerros you can see a lot of construction in the works but so far no detours. Bar A Picota seems to be the pilgrim favorite in Laza.

Day 9 -- Laza to Xunqueira (34). The ascent to Albergaria (where there is now an albergue) was almost all on logging roads. My last time here, I had been warned to stay on the highway up to Albergaria because of rain. I have to say, though, that aside from one or two short stretches of rocks that would be slippery in the rain, this is not a stretch that will kill you in the rain. It's not one of those green tunnel mud traps, it's a wide open logging road. I have developed a bit of a cynical ear when it comes to "listening to the locals" because so often the locals think walking on the highway is always the way to go -- shorter, smoother surface, easier walking. There's a municipal albergue and several bars also in Vilar de Barrio, so there are two easy ways to break up this stage. Albergue in Xunqueira is great. Eat at Bocateria Beje on the road into town. I love this place, it was started by two women who got laid off from work about two years ago and they are working their butts off to provide good service and fair prices and good food. You can eat at whatever time it strikes your fancy.

Day 10 -- Xunqueira to Ourense (22). No construction detours (yet), but a lot of interference from the steady stream of trucks going back and forth. It has turned what used to be a little country road with soft shoulders into a wider totally paved road with a lot of trucks. This is temporary, but not at all pleasant. The area is so hilly, I assume that most of the tracks will be through tunnels, which will probably require some detours at some point.

Day 11 -- Ourense to Castro Dozon (36). No more construction since everything is built from here into Santiago. Albergue in Castro Dozon is not up to Xunta standards but it's fine (it's a municipal albergue, not a Xunta albergue). Two big rooms, bathrooms and kitchens downstairs, so there's plenty of space, but the cleanliness leaves something to be desired. There's an albergue in Cea if you don't want to walk 36 but this was not a killer stage.

After the steep ascent out of Ourense (all on asphalt) you will come to signs for Casa Cesar. I would say avoid this place. The guy who lives there is trying to turn himself into a camino character and he offers very bad coffee and some snacks. He kind of gave me the creeps. We were really ready for coffee so we stopped, but I would advise you to hold off for 3 kms or so till the real cafe just after the beautiful medieval bridge.

Day 12 -- Castro Dozon to Silleda (29). Good private albergue, in an old apartment, so the accommodations are pretty private, 2, 3, 4 beds. Exceptionally clean, 8 euros, good kitchen, good bath. There are now a couple of other options in Silleda but I highly recommend the one called simply Albergue Turistico. There is a lot of advertising for this place which may annoy you, but the quality is excellent. Restaurant downstairs with a decent menu. (owned by the albergue owners, I believe). There are other places in town, this is a big town with a lot of stores and cafes.

Day 13 -- Silleda to Outeiro (26). Buy food in the Dia on the way up to the albergue or eat what the hospitalera prepares. Not cheap, not excellent, but edible. Great albergue, two big rooms with about 15 beds each, kitchen, sitting room, great outside area. The restaurant on the highway has closed, the closest thing is the fancy Pazo de Galegos, which is a stunning hotel rural.

Day 14 -- Outeiro to Santiago -- through the rest of the eucalyptus forest, then into suburbs, over the Sar bridge and there you are.

Thanks Laurie for the detailed update on this section.

We just need to find a way to incorporate this information into the accommodation spreadsheet

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hope this is of help to those starting out, though as I said, I am afraid the construction detours are a moving target. On reflection, I am most saddened by what the train construction is going to do to the area right outside Lubian, which is just a magical, green walk through the woods with the river babbling on below you. As I said, we only came across the initial stages of clearing, and had no trouble walking over the path that was being made by a bulldozer. As the works progress, there would seem to be no way to allow the pilgrim to cross that construction line, so I wonder if Aciberos-Lubian will become an onroad walk. To think of a high speed train running through there just breaks my heart. I understand that the pilgrims' aesthetics aren't anyone's priority, but I would also think that this is a real tragedy for those living in the area.

hello laurie,

thank you very much for the update. your update brought up a lot of the fond memories i have had of the camino sanabrea which i undertook this past winter.

it seems there are more construction going on on the ave line. however the sceneries are still beautiful. it would have been even better without the continuous heavy rain, strong winds and occasional snow.

congratulations are in order.hope to hear more from your camino.

god bless.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Laurie et al
I also have just got back from walking the Sanabres. I really enjoyed it and we were lucky to have good weather until arriving in dear old Santiago. Rained the four days I was there!!
So sad what is happening with the new Ave line although at present it didn't spoil it for me.
I was most disappointed at having to walk the highway from Reqequo to just before Padornelo. (I forgot we had some snow up there). Yes that horrid excavation before Lubian was a pain and
there was one road, before Tabara, I had to share with trucks going back and forward emptying their loads. That was a bit hairy but the drivers waved and kept to the other side to give me room.
All in all I would walk this Camino again . Kept an eye out for you Laurie but you were walking longer distances than I was.
Heather

Hi, Heather,
So sorry we didn't meet. Maybe next time! You described the detour after Requejo as going to "just before Padornelo." When I was there, it was "only" a 4 km detour that took you out to the highway right after Requejo at the "Su Casa" or "Mi Casa" hotel/restaurante. Then after those 4 kms, we got back on the Camino, with its weaving under the highways and tunnels, and then into Padornelo. Did you experience something different?

I walked into Tabara on a Sunday so I missed those trucks, but I know which roads you mean! Buen camino, Laurie

Of course if anyone doesn't want any of the construction sites they could always walk via Portugal 8) Very peaceful!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh! was it only 4kms? it seemed much longer at the time... my whole Camino I was sure that Spanish kms were longer than Australian's :)
Heather

The worst construction trucks I found were for an hour or so on the tarmac road up from A Gudiña to A Venda de Teresa, probably one each way every 2-3 minutes on a fairly narrow road. But once I got to the vendas it was wonderful.

Hi, Alan,
Coming into A Gudina, we saw this sign, which informed us that from A Gudina, we should not take the Camino along the road up to A Venda de Teresa, but rather backtrack 800 m from the albergue,and then add 6 kms to our route into Campobecerros.

The hospitalero told us that the sign had been posted without the approval of the Xunta, and that it was not binding. The road, he said, is open to traffic, and until the road is closed to traffic, it is open to pedestrian and vehicular traffic. So we, and everyone else, just continued on the original camino, which is a LOT of asphalt but pretty remote. It was a weekend day, so there was no truck traffic, but I had a day similar to the one you described walking from Xunqueira into Ourense, where there was a steady stream of dump trucks in both directions, making the on-road walk even less pleasant. At least this kind of interference will end when the construction is finished.

Attachments

• construction sign.jpg
    construction sign.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 525
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The worst of the construction right now on the Sanabres is around Campobecerros. No pilgrim detours of any great length, and they do a good job of keeping pilgrims away from the construction. This will definitely look better when construction is done and the roadworks are gone, but I'm not disputing those who say that the train itself is not an unmitigated good.

Attachments

• campobecerros1.jpg
    campobecerros1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 519
  • campobecerros2.jpg
    campobecerros2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 514
Re: Camino Sanabres -Construction and misc. update Aug '13

I just posted an update regarding the construction along the Sanabrés in the thread 'Super highway and AVG construction is destroying the VdlP' so I will not repeat it here.

I followed almost the same stages as Laurie except for Day 3 which was Tábara-Calzadilla de Tera 33.5 km (very basic albergue with only single beds and a shower). In addition I opted for the detour to the Monastery of Oseira on day 11 (Ourense-Oseira 30.9 km). Day 12 was Oseira-A Laxe 28.6 km and Day 13 A Laxe-Outeiro 33 km. The day into Santiago was a short 16 km which was good as it was the only day of rain I experienced during my 5 weeks in Spain.

I definately suggest the route to Oseira as the Monastery is quite spectacular. We were there on July 25th and attended a special mass in the Monastery. A guided visit can be made for 3 euros.

Hi, again, LT,

I agree with you completely that the monastery in Oseira is a great place to stop and a beautiful walk. But I do remember that I was freezing the entire night, the albergue was so damp. Maybe late July is a warmer time for Oseira.

I would have gone back this year, but one of the two I was walking with really did not want to stay in any monasteries, so I acquiesced. And I have to say that the walk to Castro Dozon after Cea is really quite beautiful. There are some really glorious off road parts there.

Anyway, welcome home and I'm glad you had such a great camino. Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just re-reading some of this to get the name of a hotel I stayed in after Santa Marta, and I’m wondering what the status of the construction is now.

For example:
Leaving A Gudiña?

Into Tábara?

So many years ago, I know, but sometimes construction never seems to end. I remember the “terrifying tunnel” thread from a month or so ago, so I thought I’d check.

Into Tabara absolutely fine. The AVE is there in all its glory awaiting trains I guess but is no hindrance.

Not sure about A Guidina. Will advise once I get that far

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back