• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Sanabres from the Frances

Patch

Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean to Santiago and Porto to Santiago
Next year I plan to complete the Camino Frances by walking from Burgos to Leon, but that’s far to short a walk for me. So rather then treading previous ground I am proposing to turn onto the Via de la Plata at Astorga and walk south for a couple of days and then turn right onto the Camino Sanabres at Granja de Moreruela and walk this to Santiago.

So.....have I got it right, has anyone else on the forum done this and if so have you any helpful tips?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Next year I plan to complete the Camino Frances by walking from Burgos to Leon, but that’s far to short a walk for me. So rather then treading previous ground I am proposing to turn onto the Via de la Plata at Astorga and walk south for a couple of days and then turn right onto the Camino Sanabres at Granja de Moreruela and walk this to Santiago.

So.....have I got it right, has anyone else on the forum done this and if so have you any helpful tips?
Hola!

I didn't walk in reverse from CF on VdlP, but there's marked trail from Benavente to Santa Marta de Tera as I remember. That means you don't have to walk all the way (approx.2 days more?) back to Granja de Moreruela.

Another option is to proceed on CF from Astorga to Ponferrada (only 2 days) and veer left/south on Camino de Invierno (many info on this forum in Invierno section, even updated guide!!! or http://www.caminodeinvierno.com/ & http://caminodeinvierno.es/). Soon after Lalin, in A Laxe, you connect with Sanabres.

Ultreia!

I haven't done this, Patch, and I would bet you won't find many people coming towards you walking from Granja to Astorga. In my experience, the vast majority of Vdlp pilgrims head for the beautiful Sanabres, so I think you have a very good idea. (IMO, it would be an even better idea if it allowed you to get all the way down to Zamora, which is an absolutely great fun place to visit -- amazing churches and a cathedral, renovated castle that is impressive, a nice modernist neighborhood, and great ambiente in the town.)

Walking backwards on any camino always presents a challenge, and I for one would not be confident I could follow the camino arrows backwards. If I were going to do that, I'd take a GPS, but maybe you are not as directionally challenged as I am.

Kinky's idea about the Invierno from Ponferrada is also a great one. Buen camino, happy planning, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for the replies, it seems like Sanabres is a good choice so I am going to run with my rough plan and do some further investigation of the Benavente to Santa Marta option. Getting lost is a speciality of mine, typically getting up after a break and walking back the way I have just come ...but hey ho practise makes perfect. I will be doing this in June so maybe packing a light weight bivi bag would be an idea, just in case I get totally stuffed - gone will be the days of the sub 5 kg pack :-(

Once again thanks and happy wanderings.

I still haven't made up my mind where I'll walk at the end of my trip this year, and this is one section I'm also considering.
I'll have about 12-13 days.
The eroski site says there is construction between Zamora and Granja, but I don't know if that info is current.
I can't decide if I will walk this section or the section from Caceres up to Zamora.
Has anyone walked the Sanabres lately?

I still haven't made up my mind where I'll walk at the end of my trip this year, and this is one section I'm also considering.
The eroski site says there is construction between Zamora and Granja, but I don't know if that info is current.
I can't decide if I will walk this section or the section from Caceres up to Zamora.

Annie, take a look at @MikeIan's recent posts: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-nearly-live-thread-starting-20-apr-16.40025/

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for the replies, it seems like Sanabres is a good choice so I am going to run with my rough plan and do some further investigation of the Benavente to Santa Marta option. Getting lost is a speciality of mine, typically getting up after a break and walking back the way I have just come ...but hey ho practise makes perfect. I will be doing this in June so maybe packing a light weight bivi bag would be an idea, just in case I get totally stuffed - gone will be the days of the sub 5 kg pack :-(

Once again thanks and happy wanderings.
I've found some descriptions of Benavente - Sta.Marta de Tera. It seems like it's about 30kms long. This stretch is also known as Camino Matritense:
http://www.turismoenzamora.es/multimedia/documentos/camino_matritense.pdf
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en_US&mid=1Ks1lQsW0-KRmTEb3tQ6Fp-j3MFc
http://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=7253151
https://elcheasantiago.wordpress.com/2011/08/02/etapa-31-benavente-santa-marta-de-tera/
http://asantiagodesdelapueblanueva.blogspot.si/2015/11/etapas-10-benavente-santa-marta-de-tera.html
https://books.google.si/books?id=j7tiaSC1rC4C&pg=PA145&lpg=PA145&dq=Benavente+camino+Santa+Marta+de+tera&source=bl&ots=g3H8bdNuRa&sig=4epS7LcfNAiResFGC3wf-h8OCmI&hl=sl&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiNncKw1M_MAhUC8ywKHTiEB28Q6AEISzAG#v=onepage&q=Benavente camino Santa Marta de tera&f=false

Ultreia!

At the start of April there was no activity on the railway between Zamora and Granja.

The only part of the Sanabres where we had any issues was the walk out of Gudina where there was a lot of works traffic. The drivers were courteous and gave us space so it didn't spoil what ws a lovely stretch of the route.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
... I am proposing to turn onto the Via de la Plata at Astorga and walk south for a couple of days and then turn right onto the Camino Sanabres at Granja de Moreruela and walk this to Santiago.

Hello, @Patch. In 2010 I walked the VdlP in reverse from Astorga down to a pueblo near Salamanca. Things may have improved since then. It was a challenge finding the signs on the first day leaving Astorga. Every other day I managed. Here's some old notes:

[7 April, 2010] "... I am currently hiking the Via de la Plata in reverse, from Astorga down to Fuenterroble de Salvatierre. For those of you thinking of walking from Zamora via Astorga to Santiago de Compostella the following may be useful:

*much of the Camino past Zamora is on or parallel to tarmac roads. The route is flat and, compared to the Camino Sanabres via Ourense, dull.

*The albergues in Benevente and Alija del Infantado are currently closed but the refugio in Villabrazaro, 8.2 kms after Benevente, is open.

*Signing seems to be non existent from just before Benevente to Villabrazo so I followed the motorway signs out of town and walk beside the road. Perhaps there are yellow arrows on this stretch but, walking in reverse, I seem to have missed them all.

*The albergue in La Baneza is excellent but finding it is difficult. It has all-night central heating, lots of hot water and a kitchen. When you arrive at the outskirts of La Baneza just to the right of the ´La Baneza´ sign, and near a water tower, is a dirt road descending. It crosses a railway line and links to a tarmac road. A while later there is a left turn . If you look back at this point you will see two yellow arrows pointing the way to the albergue. Alternately, ask a local and you may find, as I did, that they offer to take you there by car. "

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-in-winter.7253/#post-55584

Cheers
Lovingkindness

Just come back from VdlP and here is my take on the Zamora to Granja and Tabara section - Zamora to Riego del Camino 8 May 31 km then RdC to Tabara 9 May 32km. Yesterday from Zamora was a damp day but a good route for the first 17km up to Montamarta. Then on to RdC but the track was very confusingly marked so we had to turn back and restart a couple of times. When you get to the roundabout where the N631 and the N630 split it is important to take N630 then after about 300m follow the blue sign with the blue arrow to the right which will guide you over and past the new major road. The route to Tabara was an excellent track including a large river and a hike around and up a mountain complete with wild peonies. Got here at about 1430. On the way today we passed the point where the Camino splits and my way was left onto the Camino Sananbres.

*Signing seems to be non existent from just before Benevente to Villabrazo so I followed the motorway signs out of town and walk beside the road. Perhaps there are yellow arrows on this stretch but, walking in reverse, I seem to have missed them all.

Hello,

Walking this part of the Camino in the RIGHT direction is confusing enough. Signs were non-existent from where I came as well, so I can assure you that you didn't miss them... I felt this part of the Camino was a work in progress when it comes to waymarking. But that's odd, as it's part of Vía de la Plata and directions and signs should have been decided long ago by some Asociación. Strange indeed.

/BP

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back