• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Santiago (Ruta Jacobean) in Gran Canaria

PenaV58

PenaV58
Time of past OR future Camino
Does anyone have any experience about 80 km long
Camino Santiago, passing through the island of Gran Canaria.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Does anyone have any experience about 80 km long
Camino Santiago, passing through the island of Gran Canaria.

Hola, Bradypus. Yes, I do, and thank you. I have resolved since undergraduate days to visit the home country of Garcia Lorca. I am coming to do the camino and still deciding a route. Since it's going to be summer, I think this can't be the route for me. Seems like desert and bright, hot sun. Still, since I'll be there, It could in some ways be convenient. I am from Florida, so mid 80s doesn't bother me much, but when 90 hits, we lay low indoors as the people up north lay low inside in the snow. So, how hot was it? How lonely for a sola traveler? I don't at all mind being alone, really, so long as I meet nice people rather than dangerous. ( Who can predict that?) I could also travel at night some of the time to minimize exposure to heat and sun. Stars would be awesome, I bet, but i'd need private accomoations for that, i suppose. How' bout accommodations and alburques along the route? That's asking you to comment on just about everything Of course, it is also possible to skip some of the hottest parts by way of transport. Thanks. Gigipro

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked on Gran Canaria in early April and daytime temperatures seemed hot to this Scotsman. Probably above 30C but I did not record it at the time. Certainly a lot of direct sun. The ground conditions are very varied. The first half-day from Maspalomas was semi-desert with a lot of prickly pear and bare rock. As the route climbs into the hills that gives way to scrub trees and grassland. Then the really mountainous parts are mostly pine forest and well shaded. Bars, restaurants and hotels are widely spaced and apart from those there are few water sources. Stock up well with food and water. There are no albergues like those on the mainland but a later post in the thread I mentioned above lists a hostel. Otherwise you probably need to book hotel rooms if you do not wish to camp outdoors. The climb to the summit is far steeper and rougher than anything on the Camino Frances. It is challenging but rewarding.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back