• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Saves. Ex Drowns. No **it.

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
Well now. I'm back.

What an odd year. What an odd, odd year.

A few notes....Thank you, my dear friends. The peace of the Camino de Santiago truly inhabits my soul, and has moved me through the last dark 18 days.

My ex--a best friend, a husband, a soulmate, a kindred spirit, a father--had a horrific accident in Phnom Penh on the 7th of December. He took a bad fall. It was a freak accident, and although we can't know for sure what happened, I did a pretty major investigation while I was in P Penh and think he a) fell, striking his head, then b) fell into the rushing and dark waters of the Tonle Sap River and c) wasn't conscious to deal with it all which led to the inevitable.

So. I just flew back yesterday, and am still wrapping my head around it all, but let me say that after a three-day funeral with his immediate family--who accept me as one of their own--and then four days in the boss's chair (which was equally moving, as I am considered #2 over there, even after being away for 15 years from the publishing company I established with the ex), I am just a bit overwhelmed with it all.

Camino in September. I will now focus on supporting his family via Skype, hoping and praying that the business can continue, and working on getting his ex over to the US on a valid passport--which will be complicated (they never married, and we are now living in an America, which will no doubt be a dystopia in regards to immigrants). Fortunately, she is the mother of two US citizens.

Camino in September. Focus. Focus. Breathe. Celebrate.

I am grateful for all.

Namaste.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am sorry for your loss, and in awe of your bravery in dealing with your grief and that of others in the aftermath of this tragedy.

I am happy that your Camino experiences are sustaining you, nourishing your soul, and giving you courage and peace at this time.

God bless.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In the rough and tumble of life it is a blessing to have an anchor, a guiding star, a lodestone...
So thank goodness you can fine a place of inner stillness in the chaos.
One step in front of the other. Day by day may you have all the support you need for the the work you need to do. Thinking of you, Deb, very happy you have a walk to look forward to.

Heartfelt condolences for your loss, Deb.

An odd year indeed... in so many ways... but so glad that the Camino has left you with such strength and equanimity. In your everyday life - however tragic and difficult and strange - you are walking it still.

In the challenging days ahead, gently remember this and all the peace it gifted you and, step by determined step, approach each stage of this journey with your destination clear in sight.

Go Well

Oh no! So sorry to hear this, Deb. Glad you have such a good relationship with his family and that you can help them through this time. Hope you can find refreshment and deep rest for yourself as well as you remember your time with him. God bless you and give you peace and strength as you take care of so many details. Big hugs.
Faith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So sorry for the loss of your friend and ex-husband. One step at a time is all you can do. And you know how to do that! My prayers and thoughts are with you and his family during this time of grief...

Dear Deb -

I'm so sorry to hear this news - what a tragic accident. You've had more than your fair share of grief over the years and the death of your ex would have really, really knocked you for six.

There's a wonderful author, artist and cartoonist here in Australia - his name is Michael Leunig. His cartoons are sometimes of the humorous kind and often of the most soulful and simple kind. A recent one relates to grief. Here it is:

upload_2016-12-27_8-45-20.png

Michael is a beautiful soul.

The reason why I post the cartoon is that you may have a treasured item your ex gave you - it might be a pendant for example. Wear that pendant close to your heart - make it your grief adaptor and let it carry you and help you with your grief through these dark, sad days. In the absence of a pendant there may be another small item your ex gave you which is precious - keep that close by - let it be your grief adaptor. A scallop shell pendant from one of your caminos would also be a wonderful grief adaptor.

We pilgrims are never alone Deb - I firmly believe the Camino has our back in ways that we could never imagine and there's a very deep reason why we all connect on this wonderful Forum.

With condolences and love Deb -

Camino hugs -

Jenny

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Dear Deb,
You know that on this forum you have a cheer squad, not virtual but real. We are actually here and thinking of you with love. The Camino helps, I think, to know that we have the strength to overcome adversity and to reach a better place. So may it be for you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As with all the other 'scribes' here today, I send my Love and my Empathy Deb....you have definitely had a very strange year.....may the new year bring you more Peace.
We are never alone and this forum is a real testament to this....take care, be kind to YOU and may many more blessings come your way.

I wanted to reach out to send a hug and compassion
I am so sorry to hear of your loss and being pulled back into the business that seemed to have been so settled

I too have an ex that is a much better friend than partner- When you love someone as we have, truly see the person we were attracted to even if we can't live with them, the pain of loss is no less because they are an ex-

the inner lessons and strength the Camino unveiled in you, will serve you well as you traverse this ocean

my heart goes out to all and I hope there will be a swift resolution of the other family's needs
Hugs
Nanc

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wanted to reach out to send a hug and compassion
I am so sorry to hear of your loss and being pulled back into the business that seemed to have been so settled

I too have an ex that is a much better friend than partner- When you love someone as we have, truly see the person we were attracted to even if we can't live with them, the pain of loss is no less because they are an ex-

the inner lessons and strength the Camino unveiled in you, will serve you well as you traverse this ocean

my heart goes out to all and I hope there will be a swift resolution of the other family's needs
Hugs
Nanc
Your post above Nanc is exactly my situation as well....and your words so very strongly resonate with me..

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well now. I'm back.

A few notes....Thank you, my dear friends. The peace of the Camino de Santiago truly inhabits my soul, and has moved me through the last dark 18 days.

My ex--a best friend, a husband, a soulmate, a kindred spirit, a father--had a horrific accident in Phnom Penh on the 7th of December. He took a bad fall. It was a freak accident, and although we can't know for sure what happened, I did a pretty major investigation while I was in P Penh and think he a) fell, striking his head, then b) fell into the rushing and dark waters of the Tonle Sap River and c) wasn't conscious to deal with it all which led to the inevitable.

So. I just flew back yesterday, and am still wrapping my head around it all, but let me say that after a three-day funeral with his immediate family--who accept me as one of their own--and then four days in the boss's chair (which was equally moving, as I am considered #2 over there, even after being away for 15 years from the publishing company I established with the ex), I am just a bit overwhelmed with it all.

Camino in September. I will now focus on supporting his family via Skype, hoping and praying that the business can continue, and working on getting his ex over to the US on a valid passport--which will be complicated (they never married, and we are now living in an America, which will no doubt be a dystopia in regards to immigrants). Fortunately, she is the mother of two US citizens.

I am grateful for all.

Namaste.
So sorry for your loss

As you well know some Caminos are harder than others. This will be a tough one (the next few months I mean, not your September walk). I wish you peace as you journey.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dear Deb

So sorry about what has happened to you recently... my thoughts and prayers are with you and your recovery.

Namaste

Ginette

Deb, This too will pass.
Stay Strong

Ultreia!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well now. I'm back.

I am grateful for all.

Namaste.
Sorry for your loss. You and your family, including the ex's family aside from you, are in my thoughts and prayers.
Phil

Remember Debs, remember him he will always be there in your memories, remember to smile when you think of him, and be happy you had the priveledge of .................................. ! Just remember!
Wishing you many blessings of support in these coming months as you struggle to accept your loss.
b

A selection of Camino Jewellery
May the strength from your past Camino's help you through your grief. And may the anticipation of your future Camino's help you find peace.

I am very sorry for your loss, may the new year bring some bright colours and rainbows in your life.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dear Deb,
You know that on this forum you have a cheer squad, not virtual but real.

Deb,

As Kanga said above, We are real, a literal world wide web of people who are sending you strength, love and courage. My deepest condolences for your loss and the challenges you have to overcome now, but we are here, to listen and commiserate and cheer on, as you move through this heartbreak.

Peace, love and joy,

Kathy

Well now. I'm back.

I am grateful for all.

Namaste.
Well now. I'm back.

I am grateful for all.

Namaste.

He is back to his Creator, RIP

Sai Ram

Tikky

I'm so sorry to hear about your tragic loss. May God bless you, and the love from the Camino carry you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well now. I'm back.

I am grateful for all.

Namaste.
Thank you for sharing. Hope 2017 will bring love, peace and prosperity.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.