• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Camino sick"

lahyre

There is a word in Portuguese called "saudade". It means when you, for example, want to see an old friend, your daughter, a girlfriend, a place or even a party. There is no word and other languages so embracing like this.

In English, the nearest you get is the word "missing". When I lived in Brghton/UK, they used to say I was "home sick" when I was talking about "saudade" and home.

Nowadays I'm "camino sick". How I miss the time I had there.

I had a plan to go back this year with my old man to walk from Sarria to SDC, but we didn't manage to go. Who knows next year.

Buen camino everyone!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is a word in Portuguese called "saudade". It means when you, for example, want to see an old friend, your daughter, a girlfriend, a place or even a party. There is no word and other languages so embracing like this.

In English, the nearest you get is the word "missing". When I lived in Brghton/UK, they used to say I was "home sick" when I was talking about "saudade" and home.

I had a plan to go back this year with my old man to walk from Sarria to SDC, but we didn't manage to go. Who knows next year.

Buen camino everyone!
Hello , I like the word " Camino Sick " . My wife did the Camino Franches in 2013 , last year we did Saria to Finesterre and this year I walked the Camino Franches and next year we are walking the Camino Portugese .
I think this means that we are Camino sick , wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hiraeth is a Cymraeg (Welsh) word which doesn't translate well into English. It is a deep longing for home. This poem makes an attempt at defining it. It is pronounced with two syllables. The first is like the English here except that the r is stronger. The second syllable is like how a mathematician would pronounce i-th as in the ith row of a matrix. You could also say eye-th.

With a last name of Davis, it should be no surprise that my Davis ancestor was born in Wales in the early 1600's. I found this out several years after writing this poem. The westward theme is in the poem because going home to Cymru (Wales) means traveling west (from, say, England).

Hiraeth beckons with wordless call,
Hear, my soul, with heart enthrall'd.
Hiraeth whispers while earth I roam;
Here I wait the call "come home."

Like seagull cry, like sea borne wind,
That speak with words beyond my ken,
A longing deep with words unsaid,
Calls a wanderer home instead.

I heed your call, Hiraeth, I come
On westward path to hearth and home.
My path leads on to western shore,
My heart tells me there is yet more.

Within my ears the sea air sighs;
The sunset glow, it fills my eyes.
I stand at edge of sea and earth,
My bare feet washed in gentle surf.

Hiraeth's longing to call me on,
Here, on shore, in setting sun.
Hiraeth calls past sunset fire,
"Look beyond, come far higher!"

From the internet

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Being Brazilian-born and living overseas for years, the concept of 'saudade' hits me everyday. It's that feeling of missing something so much that it hurts.

Surely I feel 'saudade do Camino', and because we have very bad days of Camino Sickness, we are planning to go there again as soon as possible.

After all the blisters and fevers and climbs, isn't it incredible that so many of us want to do it all again? Without a blink!

How can you transfer that camino experience when you get home? Slow down? Commune with nature? Walking meditation? In a recent thread Brierly talks briefly about creating support at home.

I haven't done a camino yet and the one I have planned in about 11 week's may not happen due to some medical issues. I don't see myself being so lucky as to doing a series of caminos. So I ask how do pilgrims make a camino last or take the lessons they learn home?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How can you transfer that camino experience when you get home? Slow down? Commune with nature? Walking meditation? In a recent thread Brierly talks briefly about creating support at home.
....So I ask how do pilgrims make a camino last or take the lessons they learn home?

We remember and hope to give back a part of what has been gleaned. Some may serve as hospitaleros offering physical assistance to fellow pilgrims. Others share their journeys anew offering tips/advice by writing to unknown readers as for example in blogs, books or on this Forum....Every morning I wake and wonder how it might be walking that day in such heat or rain or snow. Every evening when offering silent thanks for the gift of the present day I give special thanks for personal camino memories and hope that I may wear a pilgrim shell until the end.

For further posts re keeping the camino spirit alive see this earlier thread.

Last edited:

I haven't done a camino yet and the one I have planned in about 11 week's may not happen due to some medical issues. I don't see myself being so lucky as to doing a series of caminos. So I ask how do pilgrims make a camino last or take the lessons they learn home?
Hi , it all started for me with the Camino Franches walked by my wife in 2013 , we did all the training and preperation together.
Last year we walked together from Sarria to Finesterre and this year I walked the Camin Franches . when you arrive at the squaire in front of the cathedral
it gave me a very special feeling . And you think and now its over , well not for long the day after my wife said lets walk the Camino Portugues next year .
That we do .
Wish you well and for the future a Buen Camino , Peter .

Buen camino everyone!

Yes. I feel you brother. Did my first Camino this May from SJPP to SDC. Loved it. Definitely experiencing a comedown on my return to 'normal' (or conspicuously not normal) life. So have to maintain a few of the lessons, highlights and what now feel like distant but fond memories. Maybe that's another analogy of life's path itself. Of course we can always walk the Camino again, and I'm looking forward to the next, with my wife, with my son, with my friend.

Then again I have been drinking!!! ;-)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Buen camino everyone!
In 2012 I walked about the last 200 miles. After getting home (Southwest USA) I woke every morning wanting to walk--but nothing was the same. Went back in 2013 to walk the first 300+/-. Got sick with a nasty virus after about 50 miles, so had to give it up. Now, I'm going back September 2015 hoping to walk what I've not yet walked and hoping to walk from Santiago on to the ocean (Muxia). I learned a lot (about myself) and have written a personal essay about my two caminos thus far. I have to say, that probably not a day passes without me thinking about El Camino. It lives with me and in me. Maybe that is "saudade?"

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

I hope you get to do it. I've been processing my first camino (2012) and my second camino (2013 aborted early because of illness) since that time. I've written a personal essay about those 2 caminos. I learned immeasurable things about myself both times--and yet, I am still processing and integrating them. I am returning this year to try to walk what I've not yet walked. But having said that, I don't think the camino is ever "done." As I said at the end of my essay, "There is a saying that a pilgrimage is a metaphor for life. El Camino does not end in Santiago. It follows you. It goes on ahead of you. It has to. It's the way, the road, the path, the journey. Sometimes with hesitation, grave doubt, resistance, sometimes in amazement and joy, I continue to walk it."

yes, El Camino doesn't end in Santiago. El Camino is our life. and it's so good to miss El Camino, to miss people, the time you listen the nature and yourself, to feel alive and to miss your life.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ma6be,just maybe,its not missing the Camino...
You came home to the essential "you"
All you did was walk off all the extra pounds weighing down your essential self-ness...
And somewhere...out there
You remembered who you are,..in here.

And coming back "home" to the mortal coil of our humanity,of finding yourself...once again among...them, that are without understanding.that
they,until "they" themselves are washed by the dust of suffering and rain of days upon weary brow...
that the validation of your life will be hopelessly at odds with theirs.
All you can do...is to keep walking "that"road
Not "this"road

Remember who "You" are.
Be Blessed Pilgrim

I spent two weeks in the North-Eastern corner of Spain this summer (we always walk at Easter) and felt something like your "saudade" whenever I saw a yellow arrow. "I'm supposed to walk that way!" "No, it's 40 Centigrade and my backpack is at home..."

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.