• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Signage - Which Way to Point

Time of past OR future Camino
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
I am just back from completing the Camino Frances and found the signage symbols more than a little confusing. Nearly half the Camino Signs have the "12 arrow" sign pointing one way and the other half have it pointing the opposite direction. Often less than 10 metres appart. I have posted a couple of examples. Anyone have any clues as to why this is so???

Attachments

• 361.JPG
    361.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 2,386
  • 403.JPG
    403.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 367
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I absolutely agree. I am a very literal and IMO totally logical person (maybe too much so:D:D:D). I walked the Frances in 2015 and found when I walked it again in 2017 that the signage was MUCH improved. My understanding is that the goal is to eventualy have all the '12 arrow' signs aligned so that the apex is towards Santiago and the 12 points away from Santiago. :):):):)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Or up a gum tree?!! :p:p:p
Edit: Have realised this joke may be lost in translation. Apologies if this is the case.

Attachments

• AC9A8B57-7003-46D2-BD96-0B3539D21D91.JPG
    AC9A8B57-7003-46D2-BD96-0B3539D21D91.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 119
Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When in doubt, follow the arrow?

The only route where I ever followed the Camino based on how the shell is positioned is the Primitivo. And even then, once crossing from Asturias into Galicia, the direction of the shell to be followed changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see now that the designers are Juan Ignacio Macua and Pedro García-Ramos. I believe they are well-known Spanish designers.

Where's the 12th arrow? I count 11 lines, maximum. :cool:
Never had a problem just following the direction of the arrow.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I thought this was pointing me to a pulpo restaurant when I first saw it...

I always thought that the lines pointed to Santiago too... as in all paths lead to Santiago. But I was proved wrong recently on the Vezeley when (using this theory) we managed to complete a full 4km circle, walking out of a village on one road, picking up the Vezeley and following the pointers right back to the same village. :oops::rolleyes:

P1080406 (1024x767).jpg

€83,-
I absolutely agree. I am a very literal and IMO totally logical person (maybe too much so:D:D:D). I walked the Frances in 2015 and found when I walked it again in 2017 that the signage was MUCH improved. My understanding is that the goal is to eventualy have all the '12 arrow' signs aligned so that the apex is towards Santiago and the 12 points away from Santiago. :):):):)

Hola HedaP. - that was my (also) logical assumption (please accept my bolding and italics) I almost formed the opinion that someone was doing it deliberately to stuff me up. Thanks for the support.
Now if we can only stop the buggers removing the brass GPS distance plaques all will be well. Cheers

Where's the 12th arrow? I count 11 lines, maximum. :cool:

I agree its eleven - I had a crazy idea that it was a styalised way of depicting the number of Caminos that lead to Santiago, but I have never really counted how many there actually are. Cheers

I agree with Mikel. In my experience the seashell is not normally used as an indicator of direction, The presence of the seashell simply indicates that you are on the trail. A yellow arrow, however, indicates a direction. (See photo.) Also, if you're lucky, you may even see one of the very old GR65 signs indicating the Camino. They have all but disappeared but a few remain. See below for a photo of one taken in May, 2017.

ARROW.Shell.jpg GR65.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

I always thought that the lines pointed to Santiago too... as in all paths lead to Santiago. But I was proved wrong recently on the Vezeley when (using this theory) we managed to complete a full 4km circle, walking out of a village on one road, picking up the Vezeley and following the pointers right back to the same village. :oops::rolleyes:

View attachment 34904
Hi Kanga,
As I'm planning the Vézelay route for this autumn, may I ask where it was?
Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

Hi Kanga,
As I'm planning the Vézelay route for this autumn, may I ask where it was?
Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

Jacques - it was in the village of Douzillac but all is not quite as it seems. I live nearby and met friends in the car park beside the church. I'd printed off a map showing how we should leave the village and join the camino (I'd walked here previously and recalled the camino skirting by the village). So we headed off and found the markers... and thinking they were pointing to Santiago we headed off. We did question the direction but carried on regardless. As we walked into 'a' village we all started the think the same thing... hang on... this is the church where we started!

So we turned around and followed the arrows back to where we picked them up and went in the other direction... and low and behold we found markers.

I think for a pilgrim walking the route from Perigueux you will know which direction... but as we were joining it, it confused us. :rolleyes:

p.s. it's a beautiful walk

20170615_085306-01.jpeg 20170615_090314-01.jpeg 20170615_092943-01.jpeg 20170615_104313-01.jpeg 20170615_123242-01.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So what about the "myth" that the shell symbol leads eveyone to Santiago with its tendrils reaching out to join all of the paths in one direction towards Santiago; until one reaches Galicia and the shells are reversed for some perverse Galician reason.

So a song i sang in childhood means Kookabarra sits up an old eucalyptus tree?
Yes - it (the song) was the subject of a very long & involved court case - if you have heard the Men At Work song " I come from a land downunder" you might hear part of it. Cheers

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes - it (the song) was the subject of a very long & involved court case - if you have heard the Men At Work song " I come from a land downunder" you might hear part of it. Cheers
As i read your reply i replayed the song in my head and with a blinding moment of holy cow! No Way!
Thank you for the clarity!

View attachment 34902: it's a logo, designed by the Council of Europe (nothing to do with the EU) and Spain. It does not indicate a direction. It's the logo for the CoE's Cultural Route named "Santiago De Compostela Pilgrim Routes". They awarded the title in 1987 and created the logo a few years later. The logo indicates that you are on such a route.

The logo must always be in the position as shown above, never rotated in any way. Obviously, quite a few of those who use the logo on some kind of home-made or self-styled sign, and of those who see it, are not aware of this.
I certainly don't claim to be an expert on matters such as this, but that's always been my understanding as well. However, I recall several places on the Camino Portugués--particularly in and around Padrón--where the rays of the shell symbol were rotated to indicate the direction of travel. There typically were no arrows present at those locations.

View attachment 34904
Lol option 4b j/k on the inverno kso.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Why is it called a "12 arrow?"

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How I found it? Googling something like logotipo concha camino etc.

And while it may have 11 lines, it has 12 points touching the circle. See page 17 of the guide. You have to include the point symbolising Santiago.

The yellow is from the spray painted arrows, but the blue is from the EU's flag. And BTW (Page 19).

As to the 12 stars, the logo used on the European flag and created by the Council of Europe, good old Wiki explains how it came about, what it symbolises, who used it, and who apparently no longer does.

https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandera_europea

Here is another document regarding the use of the shell when it comes to wether or not it is meant to be used to show the direction one should take when walking. This document has a link to,the Brand Book you ask about.

http://www.vialusitana.org/sinaletica/documentos/consejojacobeo.pdf

Recent experience in Galicia suggests that whether the shell should indicate the direction of travel or not the Junta have lost their sense of direction. Shells on the new mojones are seemingly arranged at random. Beyond San Roman de Retorta there is a straight stretch of road with somewhat redundant pillars at roughly 250 metre intervals the shells pointing in contradictory directions. The arrows moulded into the concrete provided more useful information.

I am just back from completing the Camino Frances and found the signage symbols more than a little confusing. Nearly half the Camino Signs have the "12 arrow" sign pointing one way and the other half have it pointing the opposite direction. Often less than 10 metres appart. I have posted a couple of examples. Anyone have any clues as to why this is so???

I just finished my Camino del Norte and find that all the marks was changed.
If you notised you could see that all the shells pointed in the same direction On THE MARKSTONE.
But the yelliw arrow pointed in that direction you schould walk.
In the old days - espacially in Galicia it was the shells which pointed -not anymore.
So conclusion - look for the arrows not the shells.
Buen Camino

View attachment 34904
That one looks like an octopus, no wonder you thought it was pointing to pulpo

Last edited:
I was told when I first walked the Camino (in 2001) that the shell points in the direction where all the lines meet. To symbolise that all the roads lead to Santiago. But in practice it was rather random. Obviously not everyone was aware of the symbolism. Since then in Galicia and other places they were placed the other way round, elongating (sometimes) one line to indicate that is the way. I rely on the arrows. The shells are just creative chaos!

Interestingly, and as far as I can remember (I'll check this September) the shell signs on the Camino Ingles all point towards SdC. It very well signposted.

I was told when I first walked the Camino (in 2001) that the shell points in the direction where all the lines meet. To symbolise that all the roads lead to Santiago. But in practice it was rather random. Obviously not everyone was aware of the symbolism. Since then in Galicia and other places they were placed the other way round, elongating (sometimes) one line to indicate that is the way. I rely on the arrows. The shells are just creative chaos!
Agreed!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back