• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino signs: do they happen to anyone else?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
All the time, my latest was in a tiny chapel in Marbella, where I was waiting while my partner lit a candle.......image.jpg

It used to be that roughly every five years or so I would go on a long trip, usually lasting about three years, where I would set off with a one-way-ticket, and end up back in Scotland by some totally unanticipated route. In more recent times the confines of a business, marriage and mortgage had limited these long trips and over the years they had been reduced to short family holidays or business trips to see suppliers, and there were times when I became restless, deeply missing the travels of my younger years. But, ever since walking to Santiago this zugunruhe has take on a different format. There are days when I’m pottering about the house, getting on with some work, or more often than not, avoiding all those tasks that should be done, when things sound a little different from what they actually are. If I pause for a moment or look away, then what I see comes from a distant place, but one that still feels very near. It may be the dull thud of the fridge door closing, the click of the computer when I switch it on, or the clink of loose change in my pocket, but what I see making the noise, is the fall of my staff beside my footstep as I walk along, the hospitalero’s stamp landing on my credencial, or the clink of glasses as pilgrims toast each other with a glass of wine at the end of a day of walking. I smile quietly to myself when this happens, because I recognise what it is. It is the call of the camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Two years on from walking the Camino, scallop shells still seem to be showing me the way. My latest blog post explains...

http://highlandhind.wordpress.com

Does anyone else have similar experiences ?

ALL the time! Most often for me it is seeing arrows in everyday normal things- a tiny twig on the ground, an oil spot from a vehicle, a leaf, etc. It is amazing how they jump out at me now, two years after my first Camino.

Must share what happened yesterday: two years ago I met a man named Frank in Agès. My walking partner and I shared a tiny overflow room with him at the albergue that night. He was the ONE person I met along the Way that I did not see in Santiago, and I always wondered about him. I just finished my second walk last week and am in Santiago after going to Finisterre and Muxia. Went to Mass yesterday just ob a whim and who was the priest reading the English verses during it? FRANK. I found him afterward and he remembered me and was so kind. Two years later!! I finally found him in Santiago.

ALL the time! Most often for me it is seeing arrows in everyday normal things- a tiny twig on the ground, an oil spot from a vehicle, a leaf, etc. It is amazing how they jump out at me now, two years after my first Camino.

Must share what happened yesterday: two years ago I met a man named Frank in Agès. My walking partner and I shared a tiny overflow room with him at the albergue that night. He was the ONE person I met along the Way that I did not see in Santiago, and I always wondered about him. I just finished my second walk last week and am in Santiago after going to Finisterre and Muxia. Went to Mass yesterday just ob a whim and who was the priest reading the English verses during it? FRANK. I found him afterward and he remembered me and was so kind. Two years later!! I finally found him in Santiago.

What a great story!

Signs on the Camino:
This isn't so much a "sign" as me acknowledging signs. I went the wrong way out of St. Jean and had to backtrack to town. When I got on the right path, I saw an arrow and gave it a two little taps with my walking stick. I did that every time I wasn't sure where to go or if I felt I was on the wrong path. If I saw an arrow or shell, I'd give it those two little taps. If it was out of my reach, I'd tap the building or pole it was on. Or if it was across a busy city street, I'd give the sidewalk two taps and continue on.

The biggest "sign" I received was in O Pedrouzo. I was up early, probably around 6am or so. The first pilgrims were just starting to get up. I was at the municipal albergue, those of you who have been there will remember how the washers and dryers are out on a little deck. I was standing out there, having a cigarette. I was looking at the last 20 km of my pilgrimage. Then the sky was lit up by a powerful lightening strike and a clap of thunder that shook building. Now it had rained and stormed for half my walk. But I had yet to see thunder and lightening. So I felt like it was a message. A message from St. James, son of thunder.

Signs off the Camino:
After 2 days on trains, I returned to Paris. I had an early morning flight and my plan was to just sleep in the airport. But it was early afternoon so I had a lot of time to kill. I wanted to check out the Eiffel tower and all that good stuff, so I looked at a map in the train station and pointed myself in that general direction then took off walking. Right away I started to re-think my plan. Was I going the right way? But I looked down and on the curb was a little yellow arrow. It's probably just a marker for road construction or something. But what the hell? I'd been following yellow arrows for over a month, I might as well see where this one takes me. So I kept going and soon I ran into another one. And another. And soon, over the top of a building I saw it, the Eiffel tower. Those little yellow arrows led me right to it, then past the Louvre and finally to the tower of St. James and to Notre Dame. Now, I know the Camino runs through Paris. Whether I was actually on THE Camino, I don't know. But those little yellow arrows got me where I needed to go, just as they had done in Spain.

When I returned home and started working again, I saw another little yellow arrow in the parking lot at work. This time it really was just a construction marker, showing the spot where some utility lines were buried. But still, it pointed in the direction of Santiago. Maybe I'm reading to much into it, but it's like St. James was saying, "The arrows will always be there to guide you. Some of them you have to see with your heart, but they are there. Just keep following them."

I'm trying, Jimmy. I really am.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Sorry if this comes out a bit rambling.

In 2011 on a coach trip that went to north west Spain we visited a coastal resort of O Grove.

Southwest of Santiago and West of Pontevedra.

Across a little narrow bridge called La Puente de Tojo we came to an island called Illa D'A Toxa.

On this island was a street showing scallop shells that made your eyes go funny as you walked.

At the bottom, in a park, was a small church covered all over in scallop shells.

I have some photos and will try to post them later.

Sometimes those tiny, insignificant sightings of shells or arrows are all we need to take us back to the peace and happiness of being on the Camino. I always see them as little gifts from the universe, sent to help me know that everything's going to be fine.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Camino taught me many lessons. I learned to look for signs (the shell and arrow) everywhere. I also understood that these signs were figurative and that I had to watch for signs to help me steer my life. Recently, I felt I was no longer on my path in life. I started looking for the signs again. This time, they were the setting sun, the call of a kestrel, and a longing to reconnect with nature. I made changes in my life, and now feel like I am back on track.

For me, the Camino keeps teaching and guiding, as long as I remain open to it. I hope to never loose that connection.

Looking at the first of my photos, do you find it strange that they face different directions ?
Do you think that this is just to make the pattern equal ?

The Camino taught me many lessons.
For me, the Camino keeps teaching and guiding, as long as I remain open to it. I hope to never loose that connection.
Indeed.

The Camino gives you many signs, but you must look for them. One day, I looked up and found a sign in the sky that taught me to put an "X" over my past and move forwards in life. See picture.

Attachments

• DSCN0025.JPG
    DSCN0025.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 45
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
image.jpg
Two years on from walking the Camino, scallop shells still seem to be showing me the way. My latest blog post explains...

http://highlandhind.wordpress.com

Does anyone else have similar experiences ?

Claro...!
See above, carved arrow on a stone in a small village in west yorkshire that i visited after the camino.

Indeed.

The Camino gives you many signs, but you must look for them. One day, I looked up and found a sign in the sky that taught me to put an "X" over my past and move forwards in life. See picture.
How nice, Scottish St.Andrew's cross in the sky. Even the colours are spot-on!

......... One day, I looked up and found a sign in the sky that taught me to put an "X" over my past and move forwards in life. See picture.
I love this, Alex; thanks for posting. This is what I mean when I say that I believe the Lord works in mysterious ways. It's gifts like these that I accept with great gratitude - they're balm for the soul.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In Changi airport on the way home from the Camino... scallop shells everywhere.

Attachments

• IMG_20141030_162115.jpg
    IMG_20141030_162115.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20141030_161844_1.jpg
    IMG_20141030_161844_1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10

We must have been walking more or less at the same time this year. I, too, really wanted to meet Frank again when I arrived in Santiago, after losing touch after Leon. On my way for an early morning train as I crossed the road to the station Frank came across in the other direction. He touched my heart too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We have our shells hanging on a hook outside our house door. Every morning when we pull on our boots and go for a training walk for our Le Puy Camino next year we see these shells. They help to remind us that the Camino is now part of our lives.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Up early this morning, launched into a bowl of corn flakes, and nearing the bottom of my bowl I saw one rogue flake that had broken away from a larger pile of flakes, and it looked suspiciously scallop shell-ish. Does this qualify?

Mind you, I hadn't yet had my first cup of coffee.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I really can't think of the right answer just now, it is on the tip of my tongue, but sorry, no idea at the moment, please ask me again tomorrow :confused: SY

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Last weekend, we were enjoying a beautiful early morning walk and my thoughts were on the Camino and how I miss the yellow arrows. The thought had just occurred and this is what I spied. A blue coffee mug with the yellow arrow. We started a conversation with the young man in his garden and sure enough he had walked the Camino, a couple of years prior to us. This made our walk extra special. A few steps further along the path we passed a caravan with "Pamplona" emblazoned on the side. I'll try and attach a couple of photos but I am not very good at this technology, but here goes !weekend 075.JPG

Attachments

• weekend 074.JPG
    weekend 074.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • weekend 074.JPG
    weekend 074.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 6

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.