• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Skies movie

Mananath

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances July 2022
Last night I flew to New Zealand and when I was perusing the list of movies to watch I was surprised to see a movie, which I had never heard of before, about the Camino on offer. I quickly selected it and happily spent 90 min reminiscing about my own walk (that ended a little more than a week ago lol). While I loved some of the shots I wasn't entirely enamored with the film. It seemed a bit too short and I never really warmed up to all of the featured walkers. However I did appreciate the reminder that people walk the camino for any number of reasons, some of which are deeply connected to loss.

If you happen to be flying on Air New Zealand soon, check it out!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Last night I flew to New Zealand and when I was perusing the list of movies to watch I was surprised to see a movie, which I had never heard of before, about the Camino on offer. I quickly selected it and happily spent 90 min reminiscing about my own walk (that ended a little more than a week ago lol). While I loved some of the shots I wasn't entirely enamored with the film. It seemed a bit too short and I never really warmed up to all of the featured walkers. However I did appreciate the reminder that people walk the camino for any number of reasons, some of which are deeply connected to loss.

One of the stars sometimes frequents the forum.

So...obviously not the same but as long as we are on the subject of movies and locations - did they actually filmed part of "The Way" in Belgrado or did the crew\actors stay there?
I found Martin's and Emilio's footprints

Attachments

• 20220601_074209.jpg
    20220601_074209.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220601_075002.jpg
    20220601_075002.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the link! We’ll be in southern England walking there St James Way in two weeks and will have to watch it! We walked at the same time they were filming it, ran into several people in it, but never crossed paths with the actual filmmakers

I watched it last night. I rate it 6/10, but I'm docking 3 points because the editors sneakily mess with the chronology and for me, that undermines the powerful messages being conveyed by the pilgrims' experiences. I wouldn't mind if it was all an impression of the camino but it's interspersed with messages saying '400 miles from Santiago, 200 miles from Santiago.. etc'. Our pilgrims stop at the 105 and 100km markers and then bizarrely we have them approaching El Acebo a hundred km earlier.. and every now again we're sent backwards or forwards onto that iconic path through the meseta.
OK, if you've never been on the camino before, it won't affect the film's impact on you. But if you are familiar with the route, it is very annoying and suggests the filmakers never fully tuned in to what the evolving journey of the camino means. IMO!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I watched it last night. I rate it 6/10, but I'm docking 3 points because the editors sneakily mess with the chronology and for me, that undermines the powerful messages being conveyed by the pilgrims' experiences. I wouldn't mind if it was all an impression of the camino but it's interspersed with messages saying '400 miles from Santiago, 200 miles from Santiago.. etc'. Our pilgrims stop at the 105 and 100km markers and then bizarrely we have them approaching El Acebo a hundred km earlier.. and every now again we're sent backwards or forwards onto that iconic path through the meseta.
OK, if you've never been on the camino before, it won't affect the film's impact on you. But if you are familiar with the route, it is very annoying and suggests the filmakers never fully tuned in to what the evolving journey of the camino means. IMO!
I rated it only 5/10, maybe because my expectations were higher. I took someone with me who was interested to walk, and it wasn't an encouraging experience. I know that you get the good and the bad when walking, but overall, I felt it didnt capture the positive stuff enough.

I rated it only 5/10, maybe because my expectations were higher. I took someone with me who was interested to walk, and it wasn't an encouraging experience. I know that you get the good and the bad when walking, but overall, I felt it didnt capture the positive stuff enough.
Anamiri, I agree. The bandwidth was too narrow - it seemed they didn't interact very often with the other pilgrims who must have been there and all around them every day. There was too much relentless focus on the challenge of walking, leaving no room for the incredible other experiences that the camino conjures for us. That felt like a missed opportunity for them. But perhaps some of them were still too early into the grief of loss to be able to look outwards more? Still, I was moved by how the film held steady and true to the theme of coping with loss - and ultimately that's what might bring me back to watch it again.

you can buy it in the US on Apple iTunes. it is just a slice of life of this particular group on the camino- i enjoyed it but like some folks in that group- i am "elderly!" :)))

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In the UK it is available on Freevee which I access through an Amazon Firestick. Free to view

Yes I watched this last week on airnz on way to Fiji. I also struggled with a couple of the characters, however I did find them a very brave lot to walk such a long distance (one that I skipped thru) and made it to Santiago, especially the 70yr old with arthritis and other health problems. Made me realize how fortunate I am that I'm a very healthy 70 year old and not to be judgmental re other people choosing other options etc. Bon camino one and all.

I was on the Camino when they were filming and spent one night in the same albergue as the entire crew. Great group of people!! I've been waiting for this to be available in the U.S. ever since. Maybe I need to fly to New Zealand and catch it on the plane! 😄
It’s available in the U.S. on the Apple TV from Apple. I rented it tonight.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In the UK it is available on Freevee which I access through an Amazon Firestick. Free to view
Tonight I watched "Camino Voyage" (awesome true story) as I saw it offered thru my Amazon Firestick movie list, which then switched it to Freevee, which I was unaware of. I will check out "Camino Skies" soon and hope it's availble in the US.

I just watched it on UK Amazon Freevee.

Not having completed a camino yet (start April 23) the chronology went over my head and to be honest am thankful that it did. I also found the cast count just about right as had too many others been involved it would have cramped the short window in which to engage with the main characters.

Julie Zarifeh I related to having lost both her husband and a son so close together. I can't remember the last time I voluntarily cried but she done it for me. Thank you Julie.

The only person I struggled with was the pestering amateur phycologist.

Anamiri, I agree. The bandwidth was too narrow - it seemed they didn't interact very often with the other pilgrims who must have been there and all around them every day. There was too much relentless focus on the challenge of walking, leaving no room for the incredible other experiences that the camino conjures for us.
Oh, we were there alright. I've kept quiet about this, since the six days on the Meseta that we coincidentally paralleled the cast and crew were not the highlights of that Camino. We spoke extensively to most of the cast members and production crew at one time or another, both sharing meals (at the kiddie table with the crew away from the cast), late night wine, and engaging in window battles in the albergues a few nights. It was quite unavoidable. The film maker asked my wife and I if we would agree to appear in the film, and we declined. I bet he asked a lot of people, and I'll bet most of them declined. My memory is that there was a real human story being told, but the ever-present production crew rendered the experience synthetic, intrusive, and slightly unpleasant to be part of. And for the record, at least some of the cast really were having major problems with blisters and sore feet.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh, we were there alright. I've kept quiet about this, since the six days on the Meseta that we coincidentally paralleled the cast and crew were not the highlights of that Camino. We spoke extensively to most of the cast members and production crew at one time or another, both sharing meals (at the kiddie table with the crew away from the cast), late night wine, and engaging in window battles in the albergues a few nights. It was quite unavoidable. The film maker asked my wife and I if we would agree to appear in the film, and we declined. I bet he asked a lot of people, and I'll bet most of them declined. My memory is that there was a real human story being told, but the ever-present production crew rendered the experience synthetic, intrusive, and slightly unpleasant to be part of. And for the record, at least some of the cast really were having major problems with blisters and sore feet.
Interesting to know that side of things.

Though it is somewhat interesting to see them all walking in the opposite direction than I did last time ...

I can never find it! Where/how are you watching it? Online? Streaking? Rental?

Streaming, streaking, whatever makes it possible to see this movie! 😘

...My memory is that there was a real human story being told, but the ever-present production crew rendered the experience synthetic, intrusive, and slightly unpleasant to be part of ...
And I have to admit, I had a similar reaction watching it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back