• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino songs

Bridget and Peter

Time of past OR future Camino
Home to Reims 2007
Reims to Limoges 2008
Camino Ingles 2009
Limoges to Gernica 2009
Gernica to San Vicente de la Barquera 2010
San Vicente to La Isla 2012
La Isla to Santiago Sept/Oct 2014
I would love to learn some camino songs - there are words to some in Joyce Rupp's book but no music, and there are a few u tube clips of people singing but I can't catch the words. And searching here I can find references to chants and medieval music which I will follow up, but has anyone produced a collection of songs that are sung along the way, with the dots (music), preferably,for private practice and enjoyment! Maybe I could squeeze a tin whistle into a pannier - but then I couldn't sing... what about some sort of percussion instrument??

This came to my mind this morning because we sang 'To be a pilgrim' in church, which I thought would be so inspiring - 'one here will constant be, come wind, come weather'!! And what about 'who so beset him round /with dismal stories/ do but themselves confound, / his strength the more is'- perhaps the stories were about bed bugs, or blisters, or barbarian hordes (johnny foreigners).

And how wonderful that neither 'Hobgoblin nor foul fiend / can daunt his spirit' - or as I and my arthritic neighbour in the pew adapted it... ' Depression nor foul knee ....'

Bridget

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are so many medieval pilgrim songs on CD's that it becomes a bit of a quagmire trying to buy the right ones for the camino.
The latest post on my blog is about singing on the camino. I found great comfort in singing a song that is the Open Air School for Physically Disabled children's school song. The words are the poem by A. H. Ackley - "You can Smile" and the tune is a cheerful, oompah-oompah type tune that is very easy to march to.
One of the most notable pilgrim songs is the French Ultreia! song.

Attachments

• Ad Honorem Regis Summi.PDF
    73.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Dum Paterfamilias.PDF
    61.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Dum Paterfamilias.doc
    28 KB · Views: 79
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank-you,Sil. And dots too!
The singing on the WAV link is so good even I should be able to learn the tune - or transcribe the dots for myself.

The latest post on my blog is about singing on the camino.

Isn't that funny? Singing must be 'in the air' or something - even though we are thousands of miles apart!

I love the school song. I can just imagine a jolly tune to fit it!

My school song began 'Green the countryside around her, grassy meadow, wooded hill...' and mentions 'keen endeavour' and 'Give your best' so could be quite helpful. The last time I 'sang' it in earnest was sotto voce while in childbirth - tapping my fingers in time so as to keep my breathing shallow - this was the 70s/80s when all that was in fashion.

And the school hymn was 'He who would valiant be... to be a pilgrim' - so there we go again!

thanks again

Bridget

When we were in Astorga earlier this month we stopped in the Gaudi Pilgrim's Museum. A man was playing the guitar just on the steps for money and began playing a flamenco style song for my daughter. La Pelegrina en el Camino... something like that. Is this an actual Camino song or did he make it up for all the pilgrims passing by?

I would love to have gotten a recording of it. It will always be something that will be in my heart to hear him singing it and the smile on his face and on my daughter's.

Rambler

I know this is a little off topic... But when excitedwalker and me are walking the camino, she's taking her guitar and we're both going to be walking, singing, guitar-playing pilgrims! Isn't that fun?
(Oh, she's not carrying a proper guitar, by the way, it's a special small and extremely lightweight one. Lots of fun!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here is my Scottish buddy I met on the Camino, Lindsay McKay, singing the song he wrote while on the Camino. We've worked on some subsequent lyrics since.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.