• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Songs

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great but what is your instrument ?
Hi Sue
It’s a travel guitar loosely copied from the ‘Martin Backpacker’ but with nylon strings and two Velcro wings that go inside my rucksack.
She’s called ‘Waltzing Matilda’ and we’ve waltzed over 2,000 miles together on 3 pilgrimages so far!
Lindsay

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Sue
It’s a travel guitar loosely copied from the ‘Martin Backpacker’ but with nylon strings and two Velcro wings that go inside my rucksack.
She’s called ‘Waltzing Matilda’ and we’ve waltzed over 2,000 miles together on 3 pilgrimages so far!
Lindsay
Brilliant. Sounded great. I play the recorder, which may go with me, and the bodhran, which definitely will not. Happy singing.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Sue127, you might also try Utreia (and Suseia).

I first encountered this song at dinner on my first night after starting from Le Puy-en-velay and for a few days afterwards.

This reference may also help with background: https://liturgy.co.nz/ultreia-et-suseia

A close friend (who reads the classical Roman writers in their own words) could place the phrase as most probably a later ergot as the romance languages (Italian, French and Spanish) were developing.

When I stopped at Manciet about a fortnight later my host was a former professional rugby player. We had a happy two meals, even with not much language in common our common national game gave us a bond. When the time to leave came in the morning I said "Allez les Bleu" (Go the Blues - the name of the French national team): he beamed from ear to ear. When he got over his appreciation I added "Allez ultreia les All Blacks" (Go further the All Blacks). He then frowned but still shook my hand gently as we parted. Sadly I see his gite d'etape in Manciet has been sold and no longer operates.

And later, after Najera (if memory serves) it was inscribed on distance markers along the way. So the sort of Latin that served in both France and Spain.

And those who have heard the Olympic motto will recognise Ultreia in Citius, Altius, Fortius (faster, higher, stronger) (we may be not the faster bit). And the ideals the founder of the modern Olympics of:
"The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have [done] well." according to an apparently well documented piece from Wikipedia. For us walkers the journey (taking part) is often as, or more, important than reaching Compostela or Rome or Whithorn.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going when you can)

@Sue127, you might also try Utreia (and Suseia).

I first encountered this song at dinner on my first night after starting from Le Puy-en-velay and for a few days afterwards.

This reference may also help with background: https://liturgy.co.nz/ultreia-et-suseia

A close friend (who reads the classical Roman writers in their own words) could place the phrase as most probably a later ergot as the romance languages (Italian, French and Spanish) were developing.

When I stopped at Manciet about a fortnight later my host was a former professional rugby player. We had a happy two meals, even with not much language in common our common national game gave us a bond. When the time to leave came in the morning I said "Allez les Bleu" (Go the Blues - the name of the French national team): he beamed from ear to ear. When he got over his appreciation I added "Allez ultreia les All Blacks" (Go further the All Blacks). He then frowned but still shook my hand gently as we parted. Sadly I see his gite d'etape in Manciet has been sold and no longer operates.

And later, after Najera (if memory serves) it was inscribed on distance markers along the way. So the sort of Latin that served in both France and Spain.

And those who have heard the Olympic motto will recognise Ultreia in Citius, Altius, Fortius (faster, higher, stronger) (we may be not the faster bit). And the ideals the founder of the modern Olympics of:
"The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have [done] well." according to an apparently well documented piece from Wikipedia. For us walkers the journey (taking part) is often as, or more, important than reaching Compostela or Rome or Whithorn.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going when you can)

Thank you so much. I love the way that one simple question can lead to so much new knowledge. Certainly, onwards and upwards is a phrase that I’ve always known and used, without thinking about a deeper meaning.
Try “Chant des pelerins de Compostelle”
Great. Thanks, it would have helped if I had spelt it correctly. Listened to a couple of versions. Will go through others t

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here is sheet music for "Ultreia," which in this rendition is called "Bénédiction des pèlerins qui partent le lendemain vers Compostelle." This was given out at the evening service at the Abbaye Sainte-Foy in Conques on the Le Puy route when I was there in October 2014.

Attachments

• Ultreia music.pdf
    655.5 KB · Views: 18
Does anyone have the guitar chords for Benazet´s Chant des Pilerins :Tous les matin ..

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
More info please. I googled ‘ultrea’ and ‘song’ and all I came up with was a heavy rock band?

Jean-Claude wrote said song in 1989 and has 3 verses, further verses are from other authors:
author introduces and instructs and then sings...

Last edited:
'It aint Rock and Roll but we like it!

Hi there Mr Stravaiger, The guitar I use on my stravaigs (and that is also an old Scottish word!) is a copy of a Martin backpacker. To make it work I use a split plywood profile shaped like a classical strapped to its back. The nylon strung version is the least compromised but hi ho! love the guitar you got!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
'It aint Rock and Roll but we like it!

Hi there Mr Stravaiger, The guitar I use on my stravaigs (and that is also an old Scottish word!) is a copy of a Martin backpacker. To make it work I use a split plywood profile shaped like a classical strapped to its back. The nylon strung version is the least compromised but hi ho! love the guitar you got!

- mine is the steel string version with soft tension, not much of volume in sound.
And yes it is a fine small one to travel with but sort of disappears under your arm, doesn´t it ?
thanx for the chords.... no capo ?

- mine is the steel string version with soft tension, not much of volume in sound.
And yes it is a fine small one to travel with but sort of disappears under your arm, doesn´t it ?
thanx for the chords.... no capo ?
I usually play it with a swing back beat and capo on 2 depends on your voice !

tar Jimmae,
how´s Auld Reekie these days !??

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.