• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Souvenir

hel&scott

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2004 St Jean - Santiago, 2008 &18 Seville - Finesterre, 2010 Ferrol - Lisbon, 2012 from Cartehenga.
image.jpeg I must admit I'm not into tourist tack, memories are the best souvenirs we have of our caminos. But after a recent discussion over compostellas, and I totally agree these are not souvenirs, I am interested in what others have brought along the way to take home as a souvenir.

The only one I have is a truely wonderful bottle opener, Scott picked it up at a flea market on the steps of a cathedral on our last trip. It's of Jimmy as a pilgrim, complete with staff and gourd. We opened many a beer with it and watched the dust setttle over the way at the end of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Along the way when Peg wasn't looking I picked up a pack patch or two, several pins and a couple of other trinkets, a few postcards and shells painted with St. James' cross (we walked with some shells picked up from a beach near home.) I put them all in a packet. When Peg got her Compostella I presented her with her completion packet.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I want one of those!!
Dr Mortiss Tattoo Clinic, Rua San Pedro 62 will oblige. Took about an hour of cheerful camino chat. I did have to sign a form to affirm that I was of sound mind (which I feel is a bit of a challenge for the average serial pilgrim) and that I was not under the influence of alcohol (does Orujo count?). But I felt that it was about time I ensured that this pilgrim got buried with his shell ;).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dr Mortiss Tattoo Clinic, Rua San Pedro 62 will oblige. Took about an hour of cheerful camino chat. I did have to sign a form to affirm that I was of sound mind (which I feel is a bit of a challenge for the average serial pilgrim) and that I was not under the influence of alcohol (does Orujo count?). But I felt that it was about time I ensured that this pilgrim got buried with his shell ;).

Whatever state of mind or influence, may that nice ink not be buried for a loong time! :)

Got that address written down. I have a hummingbird tat I got for myself when I turned 50 (so it's an OLD tat) and I just may get a shell on the other arm with the dates of the Caminos. Perhaps that will even me out and I won't walk crooked...o_O

Got that address written down. I have a hummingbird tat I got for myself when I turned 50 (so it's an OLD tat) and I just may get a shell on the other arm with the dates of the Caminos. Perhaps that will even me out and I won't walk crooked...o_O

Make sure you have it high on your arm; You may need space for many dates...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have enjoyed giving souvenirs not collecting. French Camino small metal doves. Portugues Camino small metal shells w/pins. English Camino small shells of a different design. Sanabre my wife had small crystals and I gave small clips useful for attaching hats or towels to a pack....... Ultreya...... Willy/Utah/USA

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
This old pagan picked up a souvenir on its latest visit. View attachment 35178 View attachment 35178
Ha, snap, I have one of those, it's below my ankle in the site of a very large blister that errored my foot to the point that you could see down to the bone. Took 3 years for it to heal then I drew a shell on it and had it tattooed on... Given its location and the many kms walked since it is a bit warn now. Scott got his done on his shin, where he got shin splints. Our tattoos were always a memory of how the pain of the Camino gets under your skin.

As always Coleen you make me smile.

Thank you for that

Along the way when Peg wasn't looking I picked up a pack patch or two, several pins and a couple of other trinkets, a few postcards and shells painted with St. James' cross (we walked with some shells picked up from a beach near home.) I put them all in a packet. When Peg got her Compostella I presented her with her completion packet.
How thoughtful of you! Peg is a lucky gal.:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I got a yellow arrow pin for my travel backpack. I can't avoid laughing every time I see the Peppa Pilgrim t-shirts in Santiago, though.

Yep. She finally got to see New Zealand. Here she is on the Milford Track. Maybe you can recognize something on her pack.
View attachment 35237
By the way, now on the non-visible side of the pack, is a Milford Track patch.
Yes, I see the yellow arrow on her pack. She looks confused in that picture. I think she is looking for yellow arrows to guide her on that NZ trail and there are none to be found!:rolleyes: Lol.

think she is looking for yellow arrows to guide her on that NZ trail and there are none to be found!
Off topic here but earlier on the track there were tall stakes driven next to the trail so you could follow it when it is covered with a meter of water (the track was dry for us -- we were so lucky in so many ways with that hike.)

391739B5-FB03-4E0C-BE2C-5D895F1557FD.JPG Fell in love with these giant salted roasted sunflower seeds and took a few packets home with me. Alas, unlike that lovely tattoo, they are long gone. I have always been highly motivated by food. :p:p:p

View attachment 35239 Fell in love with these giant salted roasted sunflower seeds and took a few packets home with me. Alas, unlike that lovely tattoo, they are long gone. I have always been highly motivated by food. :p:p:p
They let you take them through customs.... Scott always wanted to bring home some of those Spainish Pigs, no way with nz bio security though, so we ended up buying a walnut orchard so he could raise his own pigs, he was a happy little swine herd bringing his piglets in and out of the fields on his very own Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
They let you take them through customs.... Scott always wanted to bring home some of those Spainish Pigs, no way with nz bio security though, so we ended up buying a walnut orchard so he could raise his own pigs, he was a happy little swine herd bringing his piglets in and out of the fields on his very own Camino.
Declared and safely cleared. Roasting and salting is fine because it kills any microbes. This solution may not be appropriate if you want your Spanish piglets to be alive when they get through customs! :rolleyes:o_O:rolleyes:o_O:rolleyes:o_O:p:p:p
PS Can I visit you?

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
OMG, I hope you don't mean either the 'absolutely gorgeous' young man in your photo OR the tat?

On second thoughts, I would take the young man! ;)
It's the brown man-apron thing that's got you in a tizzy, Tigger. He looks like trouble to me. Big Fun Smiling Wonderful Trouble. You don't want to bring trouble home as a souvenir.:rolleyes:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Declared and safely cleared. Roasting and salting is fine because it kills any microbes. This solution may not be appropriate if you want your Spanish piglets to be alive when they get through customs!
Ha, yes well we tend to leave the salting and roasting of our porkers till after they have been fattened on nuts. They may not be ibericos but they a damn tasty, or so I am told, as I am a vegetarian! This is always a huge joke with our customers, being a nut farmer it's hard enough to be taken seriously but a vego swine herd, well, at lest the pigs are well cared for and they provide us with a very tangible Camino memory.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This thred has got officially weird... I'll stick to my hairy walking legs and leave the holiday beard growing to the blokes,,.
I remember two days before SDC girls in the albergue commenting on women exiting the shower. Days. Weeks. Days. Weeks. Trying to guess how long they'd been walking by how long the leg hair was. When I came out I stuck my leg out of the towel and said Months! And they rolled on the floor laughing.

View attachment 35175 I must admit I'm not into tourist tack, memories are the best souvenirs we have of our caminos. But after a recent discussion over compostellas, and I totally agree these are not souvenirs, I am interested in what others have brought along the way to take home as a souvenir.

The only one I have is a truely wonderful bottle opener, Scott picked it up at a flea market on the steps of a cathedral on our last trip. It's of Jimmy as a pilgrim, complete with staff and gourd. We opened many a beer with it and watched the dust setttle over the way at the end of the day.
Thaks for your post. Yes the best souvenirs one can get is the memories included the Credentials one get on the pilgrimage.
On the other hand I've got a souvenier as well (a tatoo) and I must say it remindes me of my pilgrimages together with my credentials.
Love it and are proud of it.
15013436994972008521885.jpg 1501343761335733817417.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Had a minor panic yesterday as Jimmy the bottle opener had gone missing, he often goes walkabout and we had a full farm search before locating him on a fence post by the farrowing shed... He's either got itchy feet and wants to go on his way, or my recent visitors were enjoying a beer or two watching the pigs, either way he is back in his shrine (a kitchen draw).

Last edited:
@Flem not at all - not sure why but when I click on the photo it gets so big it runs off the screen.

I bought the smallest red cross, pagan I think, in 2011 in Samos at the convent. Since then I wear it every day and if I take it off for some reason, I feel as if something is missing. I don't know what I will do if I loose it. I will walk part of the Via de la Plata en the last part from Ourense second half of September this year and hope to find another wonderful souvenier that will stay with me forever.

View attachment 35175 I must admit I'm not into tourist tack, memories are the best souvenirs we have of our caminos. But after a recent discussion over compostellas, and I totally agree these are not souvenirs, I am interested in what others have brought along the way to take home as a souvenir.

A T-shirt and a fleece with appropriate logos. Bought my wife a black azabache scallop shell necklace and our usual collectibles, fridge magnets and snow globes. On my second camino however, the souvenir was the compostela documented with my wifes name. She cannot walk it so I walked it for her

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A small crook from the back yard forge near Irache winery. Not heavy to carry and a special token of memories.

Attachments

• IMG_7864.JPG
    IMG_7864.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
A small crook from the back yard forge near Irache winery. Not heavy to carry and a special token of memories.
The kind of stuff I like: artisan, never really made to make much moeny.

A few years ago there was a store on rua Nova in Santiago that sold local/Galician goods and I bought a number of life size metal shells for my Xmas tree. The store has since closed which is a pity. They were made locally and I would love to purchase a few more. They were not X-mas ornaments per say, but why not?

There is one piece I am hoping to bring back one day. It sits in a window of a place that is apparently not a shop. It's an antique statue of san Roque with hos dog: my two passions in one piece - dogs and the C.

I took this home from Old Skull Tattoo, Santiago, July 4, 2017.

Attachments

• IMG_20170706_065704919.jpg
    IMG_20170706_065704919.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
I brought back lots of souvenirs- rosary beads for friends, shells we found on the beach, a couple of small sculptures of the cathedrals at Burgos (my starting point) and Santiago, etc... We also left a few things behind. For both of my caminos I had stickers and patches made, which I gave to friends I met along the way.

I also made these playing cards, which I left at albergues on my second camino. It seems like pilgrims are always looking for something to do in the evening, so I just left these behind for the next group to play with. :) The photo is from our arrival day during our first camino.

Maybe you have seen these lying around an albergue somewhere? Camino playing cards 05 square 20x20.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I like your Lego pilgrim Rory!

I plan to get on of those on my right shoulder blade when I complete my camino.
On the same theme, of shoulders, backpack straps impressions would also make for a suitable Camino souvenir, at least for those carrying 50% of their weight in their packs. :cool:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I got a barbed wire tattoo on my right bicep on my last camino. Well, at least that's what I call my scar from slipping into the cow pasture fencing just before Zubiri. :(

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back