• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Souvenirs and Trinkets

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
There are many places along the caminos that sell pins, badges, pendants, shells etc.
You can buy some of these before, or after your camino from Mundicamino.com. One of my favourites is a little Santiago rosary in a wallet that costs only 4.6 € and weighs about 50g.
Keep a Spanish 5c coin which has the Santiago Cathedral on the back.
And, for a free souvenir, scoop some camino soil into a little pilll bottle or spool container and collect a few pebbles on the way.
http://www.mundicamino.com/tiendaSumar. ... depende=10

Attachments

• Rosary.jpg
    Rosary.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 7,170
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sil

Is we are caught by our border security guys bringing soil from Spain into Australia we would be in trouble. As it is you have to declare whether you have been on a farm and if you answer
Yes" they will check your boots and more than likely take them away and dip them.

Different countries, different standards.

Rose Louise

They do the same in the US.

As for trinkets, the cutest I saw were at a souvenir shop across from the Cathedral in Leon. Little clay owls in different colors dressed up as pilgrims. Cute, lightweight, & only 1 Euro. :)

Kelly

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My most prized souvenir is the scallop shell I got in the pilgrim office in SJPDP.

As far as the US checking for "incoming" pests...I'd say California is the most stringent, although I was asked why my pack had little hiking gear, but five bottles of wine.

Stupid question if you ask me.

Arn

They're not so strict here. I always bring a little pill bottle of soil home. It goes into a plant pot where I plant poppies that flower in the spring. A fitting reminder of the camino!

Rose Louise mentioned about dipping our boots when coming into the country. When I returned to Australia last time the Agricultural official inspected in minute detail the shell that has tracked with me on two Caminos to make sure that there was nothing (either meat or sand) on it, and also looked very closely at my poles as well. We can't even bring things like honey and cheese in to the country because of fear of contaminating what we have here. That even extends to within the country where we are unable to transport honey across some borders and fruit too! A round of french or spanish cheese would be a great treat, but we would never get it through the customs checks. regards, Janet

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Its a pity it didn't work both ways!

In 1846 a Spanish priest from Galicia, by the name of Rosendo Salvado, founded the Benedictine monastery of New Norcia north of Perth in Western Australia. He is credited with introducing olives, wheat and wool to the region as well as the skills of making bread and olive oils. Today only 11 monks are in residence but the Spanish connection endures with two Spanish monks remaining. Dom Paulino, who was the baker for over 50 years, still works in the olive groves at the age of 95 years.
Bishop Salvado found time to document his 55 years of work in 11 diaries containing almost a million words written in Spanish, Galego, something described as “Spanglish”, French, Italian, Latin and English.
From these works we learn that it was Salvado who took the first eucalyptus trees to Spain. Fire-prone and a ruthless competitor against native species, the eucalyptus has proved to be an unwelcome pilgrim.
Salvado Street in Santiago de Compostela is named after him.

More info here:
http://www.newnorcia.wa.edu.au/

Sil,

A little off topic. There is a monument to Father R Salvado in the main street of Tui on the Camino Portugues. While the eucalyptus may be an unwelcome pilgrim in Spain one felt a sense of home when we came through an outcrop of them just outside of Santiago.

Rose Louise

Attachments

• DSCN0239.jpg
    DSCN0239.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 6,901
Sil....Euclyptus unwelcome ! I always thought the eucalyptus trees planted on the VDLP were put there to give Santiago a touch of class!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
sillydoll said:
They're not so strict here. I always bring a little pill bottle of soil home. It goes into a plant pot where I plant poppies that flower in the spring. A fitting reminder of the camino!
Sil, this reminds me that I brought back water from the Ganges river. But I definitely like the idea of bringing back some earth :)
Thanks for the idea.
claire

My favorite camino souvenir comes from the Ruta Vadiniense. I bought it at the gift shop at the monastery of Liebana, a 9th century Cantabrian mountaintop complex that is a pilgrimage shrine in its own right. The keepsake is a little shot glass. When you put clear liquid inside and tip it into "bottoms-up" position, a little image of Santo Toribio can be seen shining up at you from in the bottom!
I find it very "spiritual," it makes me smile every time I see it. Not sure what the original Santo Toribio would have thought!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello :)

Here’s an idea I’ve done for my souvenirs while traveling light through Europe. I like to send myself postcards with a little note of the day or few days. I not only get beautiful picture postcards, but a postage stamp with date stamp and a mini journal with each. Plus some don't arrive home until after I do, that's always a nice thing to get in the mail.

Buen Camino :arrow: and God Bless,
Angela

Angela,
I love that idea! It doesn't even require that much brain power since we always remember our own home address. I'll have to do that next time we're traveling. Thanks for sharing.

Take care,
Faith

Hello - I'm looking for some type of Camino flag that can be hung outside my home. Either with an arrow or shell on it, maybe the cross of St James. I've searched the web but came up empty. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sil

Is we are caught by our border security guys bringing soil from Spain into Australia we would be in trouble. As it is you have to declare whether you have been on a farm and if you answer
Yes" they will check your boots and more than likely take them away and dip them.

Different countries, different standards.

Rose Louise

Oh yeah, all those airport security programmes have scared the (censored) out of us :) I'd feel guilty arriving at Sydney Airport, even if all that I had was just the clothes on my back :D

Hello :)

Here’s an idea I’ve done for my souvenirs while traveling light through Europe. I like to send myself postcards with a little note of the day or few days. I not only get beautiful picture postcards, but a postage stamp with date stamp and a mini journal with each. Plus some don't arrive home until after I do, that's always a nice thing to get in the mail.

Buen Camino :arrow: and God Bless,
Angela

I do the same - some people think I am crazy. I used to send them post cards too... If you don't believe in the tooth fairy, why should you get anything when you lose a tooth?

Hello - I'm looking for some type of Camino flag that can be hung outside my home. Either with an arrow or shell on it, maybe the cross of St James. I've searched the web but came up empty. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks :)
Still looking for a flag of some type.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Angela: You might ask a pilgrim who lives in your country (to keep postage fees reasonable, and avoid customs issues) to obtain something like this for you, and mail it to you on their return. If you are fortunate, there may be someone at or near Santiago now who would help.

If you are really lucky, you might be able to have that person send you a photo and dimensions, as well as the price before you tell s/ he to proceed. Smart phones are a wonder at this... I recall seeing many pennants, or small flags at Santiago. But as I was not interested in me personally at the time, I did not pay much further attention to them.

I am starting my second Camino Frances on 27 April (see the event calendar on the forum). I anticipate being at Santiago by the end of May. If you can wait that long, I would be happy to pick up this item for you. You can also send me a PM (start a private conversation) if you choose.:)

@t2andreo I'm so happy you are going on another pilgrimage, someday I hope the same for me. I couldn't dream of asking someone to take their time searching for a flag while in Santiago, there is so much more to be done. However, if I'm still in need and you happen upon one, I won't turn it down. We'll keep in touch.

Peace be with you and may the Lord guide your steps.

@t2andreo I'm so happy you are going on another pilgrimage, someday I hope the same for me. I couldn't dream of asking someone to take their time searching for a flag while in Santiago, there is so much more to be done. However, if I'm still in need and you happen upon one, I won't turn it down. We'll keep in touch.

Oki doki. Will do. And remember..."Solivtur ambulado cum Deo”

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Well Tumbeweed how sad am i not a flag but a large stone in my drive I just had to paint a yellow arrow on it to bring the camino to mind !!!!!
Is there any hope for us ? :)

Hi Tumbleweed -
I have an idea, though it's not a solution to your flag search, that might be of interest ... why not purchase a Waymarker or Camino Images Wall Tile which you can have at your front door next to or near your doorbell? The tile would look great permanently, whereas flags tend to get a bit tatty after a while due to exposure to the weather. I have a lovely tile which features the Waymarker Star which I have on the wall next to my front door. The tiles generally have a hook on the back and you just need to do a bit of DIY with hammer and nail and voila! - gorgeous tile now in place for you to have a small visual gift from the Camino every time you go through your door!
Our Forum amigo, David, from Pilgrim Supplies eBay Store in the UK has a couple of cool-looking Camino tiles in his online shop ... why not check them out?
'Hope this helps -
Cheers - Jenny

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back