• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino suggestions for January or February?

Walden

Time of past OR future Camino
I was wondering if anyone has any experience of walking the Via de la Plata, or any other Camino that might be suitable for the early months of the year. I have some time coming in January or February and am looking for ideas.

Would the la Plata be suitable? Albergues open? Weather reasonable and not too cold or wet?

Any other suggestions appreciated.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Forum member @amancio once walked from Málaga in January. See his report here.
Baena is where this banch merges with the Mozárabe branch starting in Almería. I would definitely contact the amigos in Almería if the Mozárabe piques your interest, because they run nearly all the albergues between Almería and Granada. Their online guide, which is revised monthly, gives up to date info on albergue situation.

October’s version — https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P1NOFhHAq05kZ648gaFU7VzSwosviNor/view

Weather-wise, I would only start in the south if I were going to walk in January, and the Vdlp or the Mozárabe would be where I’d think you’d have the best shot at good accommodation options.

Forum member @amancio once walked from Málaga in January. See his report here.
Baena is where this banch merges with the Mozárabe branch starting in Almería. I would definitely contact the amigos in Almería if the Mozárabe piques your interest, because they run nearly all the albergues between Almería and Granada. Their online guide, which is revised monthly, gives up to date info on albergue situation.

October’s version — https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P1NOFhHAq05kZ648gaFU7VzSwosviNor/view

Weather-wise, I would only start in the south if I were going to walk in January, and the Vdlp or the Mozárabe would be where I’d think you’d have the best shot at good accommodation options.
brilliant, thank you for that, I'll get researching

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Their online guide, which is revised monthly, gives up to date info on albergue situation.
Wow, what a fantastic guide - even for those of us who don’tspeak Spanish - and a gréât service that thé amigos update it monthly. We walked the Mozarabe from Granada some years ago but I wasn’t aware of this guide.

I do recall that all local people we met were very welcoming and keen for the Camino to become more popular. It was a great walk - ours bookended by Granada and Merida, with Cordoba in the middle. Maybe we will go back one day and start from Almeria.

I would definitely not recommend Mozarabe from Almeria in Jan/feb/March: Study the altitude profile: Half of the way is at altitudes +1000 m., at the base of the Sierra Nevada. It will be very could up there. I walked in May one year and had to abort halfway due to pneumonia.

For a pleasant winter walk, I would start in Merida on the VdlP. Far ebough south, and easy walkig.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back