• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Teresiano from Avila to Salamanca

Peregrino44

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2014) Finisterre (2014)
Howdy All,

I am a frequent forum reader and I appreciate the effort and care everyone takes in helping each other out.

I have a few questions regarding the Camino Teresiano and how to approach a second camino. I walked the Camino Frances from SJPP two years ago and then on to Finisterre. I am planning on walking from Toledo to SdC (Avila, Salamanca, Zamora, Ourense, SdC) this summer. If anyone could offer any advice for the following questions/concerns I would greatly appreciate it.

1) Has anyone walked the Camino Teresiano from Avila to Alba de Tormes and then to Salamanca? If so, did you like it, were there enough pilgrim services (albergues, bars etc.), and do you have any recommendations on guidebooks etc. (Any advice at all is greatly appreciated).

2) One of my concerns is experiencing something completely different from the Camino Frances. For those who have walked the less populated caminos, how did you adjust, and what were some of the positives and negatives of walking a less popular camino?

3) Will the heat be bearable in July if I walk from Toledo to Avila to Salamanca to Zamora and on to Ourense?

Thank you!

Eric

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Howdy All,

I am a frequent forum reader and I appreciate the effort and care everyone takes in helping each other out.

I have a few questions regarding the Camino Teresiano and how to approach a second camino. I walked the Camino Frances from SJPP two years ago and then on to Finisterre. I am planning on walking from Toledo to SdC (Avila, Salamanca, Zamora, Ourense, SdC) this summer. If anyone could offer any advice for the following questions/concerns I would greatly appreciate it.

1) Has anyone walked the Camino Teresiano from Avila to Alba de Tormes and then to Salamanca? If so, did you like it, were there enough pilgrim services (albergues, bars etc.), and do you have any recommendations on guidebooks etc. (Any advice at all is greatly appreciated).

2) One of my concerns is experiencing something completely different from the Camino Frances. For those who have walked the less populated caminos, how did you adjust, and what were some of the positives and negatives of walking a less popular camino?

3) Will the heat be bearable in July if I walk from Toledo to Avila to Salamanca to Zamora and on to Ourense?

Thank you!

Eric
Hi, Eric,

Last summer I walked Camino de Levante and first stage after Avila (to Gotarrendura) is shared with Camino Teresiano which veers more to the west after this village. I must say that was maybe the most beautiful stage on the Levante. And also enormously well way-marked, in fact I haven't seen so many yellow arrows and other markers on any camino Frances stage :D

In walking less populated Caminos I don't see any real negatives. It is what it is. But there are many positives which I enjoy, like solitude, empty albergues, more interaction with locals etc. Rest is almost the same. You'll be able to find tiendas and bars/restaurants in most of the villages. It's very handy to speak some Spanish though. Maybe having a Spanish SIM card to call in advance is helpfull also as there are less walkers and thus albergues without resident hospitaleros. Many villages have options to sleep in polideportivos or schools closed for holidays. After Salamanca all this will change of course.

What it is like on Camino Teresiano you can see here if you haven't find that site yet:
http://www.caminosteresianos.com/caminos/avila---alba-de-tormes
This Camino has its own markers and I'm sure it is well marked. Anyway there are GPS tracks (Endomondo and Wikiloc) on this link. The only missing stage is from Alba de Tormes to Salamanca but I remember when I was checking it at googlemaps there are many options to walk on gravel tracks alongside the tarmac CL-510.

Huh, walking it in July might be quite hard because of the heat. Last year I was so exhausted after two weeks of 40-48C on Levante that I skipped Toledo-Avila stretch (also some problems with technical stuff). But you can't really predict weather do you :) I remember after starting from Ourense temps dropped down to approximatelly 35C and I was flying such was the difference. You can find lots of advices on walking in heat and hydration in other forum threads.

Camino Teresiano is also on my wish list as a connection Camino in combination of Camino Manchego (Ciudad Real-Toledo), Levante (Toledo-Avila) - Camino Torres (Salamanca-Ponte de Lima), Caminho Portugues (Ponte de Lima-SdC). It would be really nice to have some first hand reports from a forum member ;)

Ultreia!

Hi KinkyOne,

Thank you for your thoughtful response. The Camino Torres looks amazing! Who knew there were so many caminos?!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi KinkyOne,

Thank you for your thoughtful response. The Camino Torres looks amazing! Who knew there were so many caminos?!
Ah, there are even more :D
Yes, Torres sure looks amazing and I hope to walk it ASAP. I could already to tell the truth but I like longer Caminos and am trying to walk more populated Caminos first before the crowds come. This year I'll walk Northern combo (Baiona, CF, Salvador, Primitivo, CF, Fisterra) and maybe next year the time will be right to set out for less walked Camino(s) again.

Keep us posted about Teresiano, please. And Buen Camino!

Howdy All,

Thank you!

Eric
Hi,
I walked the Camino Teresiano last year at this time.
It has its own marking and is very well indicated. The terrain is easy in never ending fields of cereals, but lacks greatly of shade and water holes. Be prepared for hot wheather.
Plenty of cheap comercial accommodations in the many villages along the way.
You will be alone all the way, at least I was.
I travelled the last leg to Salamanca by bus.
Overall, I enjoyed it a lot and recommend it strongly.
Cheers,
Jean-Marc

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back