• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Teresiano, The Way of St. Teresa of Ávila, From Cradle to Grave

Elle Bieling

Elle Bieling, PilgrimageTraveler
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many to count!
And thus, my Camino Teresiano begins, before I even arrive in Spain! I plan to do this Camino 3 months from now, at the end of September. Normally I write about a Camino after I walk it, but this time, I wanted to do more research before I arrived, because I could find so very little information on it in English!

The Camino Teresiano, otherwise known as "St Teresa's Way" is a short 4-5 day walk from her birthplace in Ávila (debatable, whether it was actually Gotarrendura a few km to the north) to her burial place in Alba de Torres. There are actually two routes, a Northern and a Southern one. This Camino is also known as La Ruta Teresiana so nomenclature can be a bit confusing! I personally like the feminine name - seems more appropriate!

This Camino does not actually arrive in Santiago, but can be easily connected to the Via de la Plata in Salamanca. Alba de Torres at the end, is a day's walk of 23 km to Salamanca, or a bus ride, if you prefer. We actually plan to continue walking from Salamanca to SdC.

If you are interested in this Camino, here is my best effort to compile the information that I could find out there. Since Ávila is a highly touristed destination, I may write about it also, prior to my arrival, as there is so much to see and do in that city alone. I am especially interested to see the Centro de Interpretacion del Misticismo, or the Mysticism Interpretation Center! St. Teresa was a mystic extraordinaire!

If you want to get updates later as I walk this, and/or write about it (I just can't do it live - I like to assimilate and record as I go) follow me on this forum!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
And thus, my Camino Teresiano begins, before I even arrive in Spain! I plan to do this Camino 3 months from now, at the end of September. Normally I write about a Camino after I walk it, but this time, I wanted to do more research before I arrived, because I could find so very little information on it in English!

The Camino Teresiano, otherwise known as "St Teresa's Way" is a short 4-5 day walk from her birthplace in Ávila (debatable, whether it was actually Gotarrendura a few km to the north) to her burial place in Alba de Torres. There are actually two routes, a Northern and a Southern one. This Camino is also known as La Ruta Teresiana so nomenclature can be a bit confusing! I personally like the feminine name - seems more appropriate!

This Camino does not actually arrive in Santiago, but can be easily connected to the Via de la Plata in Salamanca. Alba de Torres at the end, is a day's walk of 23 km to Salamanca, or a bus ride, if you prefer. We actually plan to continue walking from Salamanca to SdC.

If you are interested in this Camino, here is my best effort to compile the information that I could find out there. Since Ávila is a highly touristed destination, I may write about it also, prior to my arrival, as there is so much to see and do in that city alone. I am especially interested to see the Centro de Interpretacion del Misticismo, or the Mysticism Interpretation Center! St. Teresa was a mystic extraordinaire!

If you want to get updates later as I walk this, and/or write about it (I just can't do it live - I like to assimilate and record as I go) follow me on this forum!

Thanks,Elle:
I

Thanks, Elle. It would be interesting to read your comments about this Pilgrimage.

My wife and I are in planning to visit Ávila after we complete our next Camino and before
Returning home. It’s the first time that heard about the CIA Teresiana, but its great to know
As it gives more reasons for Pilgrimage.

Please keep the Forum posted on your findings. Who knows who’s may be also interested.

Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for the interesting information. I too would like to follow you. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Was not aware of it, but I will be following too. Thank you !

I have been this week in AVILA for cultural visit, and took profit of it to go to the 'Centro de Recepción de Visitantes' where we are supposed to obtain the credencial for this camino, but the young lady at this office told me they does not remain such credenciales and suggested to download one from the web www.caminosteresianos.com
On this occasion I also discovered, seeing signs in other city, that there are three new Caminos Teresianos, related to the Jubileo Teresiano:
- Ruta de la Salud, 105 km from El Barco de Avila to Avila
- Ruta de los Caminos y de las Posadas, 102 km from Sotillo de la Adrada to Avila, most of it by the same route as Levante and Sureste
- Ruta El Confesor (refer to San Pedro de Alcantara who was friend and ´confesor´ of Sta Teresa), 110 km from Arenas de San Pedro to Avila. It crosses the highest and nicest part of the Sierra de Gredos, but don't walk it in winter.
Information for those routes at https://www.turismoavila.com/web/paginas_tematicas/visorModel1/?iid=5b3a56cb2aed9-59

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back