• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino-themed escape/puzzle room

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
After arriving in Santiago and having a relaxing day, in April, my husband and I visited a lot of interesting places in the city. (I highly recommend the Pilgrim Museum and the roofs of the cathedral, if people have not visited them yet.)

To our surprise, we also found a puzzle room that was Camino-themed! We love riddles, puzzles, jigsaws and mental challenges in general, so we decided to take a look at the place, called Gallaecia Fugit (http://gallaeciafugit.com/)

A puzzle room (or escape room) is a room that you enter, the host will tell you a story, and then you have to solve a series of puzzles to find out the end of the story and get out of the room (usually with a time limit). In this one, the story was that the archbishop of Santiago had been kidnapped, and he hid the Saint's relics to protect them from the bandits. Your mission is to find where the relic is hidden, but you don't know which artifact you are actually looking for!

We had a lot of fun doing that. It was actually nice to see elements of the Camino respectfully inserted (or so it seemed to us) in an activity that most times aims at more 'nerd' audiences. We wrote our impressions here: https://lockmeifyoucan.wordpress.com/2017/08/08/gallaecia-fugit-reliquias-del-apostol-review/

Would you have any other recommendations of Camino-themed activities (besides walking the trail, that's a given for me! :D) that surprised you along your trips?

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@Anamya that puzzle room sounds like great fun. It is definitely on my list for the next time (if ever) I'm in Santiago!
A simple pilgrim themed activity that I enjoyed was a display/musem at the tourist office in Santo Domingo de la Calzada. My travel companions and I dressed in capes as ancient pilgrims and holding the little pilgrim passports we had been given, we walked through a series of rooms that recreated the ancient camino gathering sellos as we went for a 'compostela' at the end.
It was simple but it was also informative and surprisingly engaging.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey good to know! Some time ago I began a thread about escape rooms in general. And we started to think how an excape room about the Camino would look like. Glad you found this one in the Pilgrims Museum.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/escape-room-with-a-camino-theme.43750/
Thank you again @Anamya ! Will certainly pay a visit next time when in Santiago and hopefully I will find some fellow pilgrims who want to join.

The escape room is actually beside the train station, I edited my initial post as it made it sound like it was in the Pilgrim Museum!

I LOVED your thread about camino escape rooms. Now I wanna do one with bunk beds, credentials to stamp and items to find inside a bucket full with socks to wash! :D

@Anamya that puzzle room sounds like great fun. It is definitely on my list for the next time (if ever) I'm in Santiago!
A simple pilgrim themed activity that I enjoyed was a display/musem at the tourist office in Santo Domingo de la Calzada. My travel companions and I dressed in capes as ancient pilgrims and holding the little pilgrim passports we had been given, we walked through a series of rooms that recreated the ancient camino gathering sellos as we went for a 'compostela' at the end.

Ooohhh, that sounds so good as well! I did not pass by Santo Domingo (I started my trip in Burgos), but it seems an awesome way to engage more with the camino history! Thanks for the suggestion!

This sounds fascinating!! If you like riddles, puzzles, jigsaws and mental challenges, have you found any good camino puzzles in books, online etc? I'd love to see any resources you might have to share. I wonder if others would like Camino jigsaw, word searches etc?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.