Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.

Camino this April

Year of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago planned for end April 2020 now 2021
HI,

We are due to start our Camino on the 12th April (postponed from last April). I'm wondering how feasible this is? Currently we have no idea if we will have been vaccinated by then or what the conditions on the Camino will be like. We have pre-booked most of our accommodation, but could change this.

Do you think this is doable or should we look to move this to later in the year, maybe starting first week in June, or leaving it to next year?

Thanks for all views and opinions.

Mark

Camino Masks
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Português 2020
I am also hoping to go on camino in April, but because I live in Portugal my circumstances are more favorable than most (not needing to fly, being inside the EU already, being able to decide last-minute, the ability to get home quickly if needed etc). Even then, I'm not sure it will be feasible for me. I don't expect to receive the vaccine until mid-year at the earliest.

Coming from the States where airline cancelations and entry restrictions are possible, I would think it's doubtful at best to be honest. And I don't think June offers much more security either. I think the second half of the year, or next year, is more realistic, but others may have differing opinions. Good luck with your decision and buen camino.

Personally, I would start that long round of changing flight & accommodation bookings and for next year. The vaccination programme in the UK will not be completed in April or June; October/November is a more reasonable assumption based on current projections themselves based on tentative data. The reality may well be that we are still queueing with our sleeves rolled up this time 2022.

Hope may always triumph but wishful thinking isn't in the same league.

george.g

French way 10, 11
Norte 12
Vdlp 13
Levante 14
Mozarabe/Malaga 15
Augusta 16
Mozarabe/Almeria 17
Chris Whitty the chief medical officer for the UK has just talked about the possibility of the need for lockdowns next winter makes me think that any plans for April this year may be a little optimistic, it sounds as though the virus is going to be around for a while longer if not for ever.
Don’t think I’ll be making any bookings any time soon, especially given the struggle I had getting my money back from Ryanair!!
Regards
George

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
HI,

We are due to start our Camino on the 12th April (postponed from last April). I'm wondering how feasible this is? Currently we have no idea if we will have been vaccinated by then or what the conditions on the Camino will be like. We have pre-booked most of our accommodation, but could change this.

Do you think this is doable or should we look to move this to later in the year, maybe starting first week in June, or leaving it to next year?

Mark

Highly unlikely I would expect......

Chris Day

Hesed Walker
Frances-14/15/16 Part-17/18/19/20
VdlP/Sanab/Finist 16
Port/Ingles 17
Norte 18 Le Puy&Prim 19
I managed a curtailed Camino in March '20 and only just managed to find a way back to the UK "by the skin of my teeth"...everything, including public transport was simply closing down. Looking back, it was certainly memorable and an "adventure", but in truth I wouldn't want to go through the experience again. For me, health welfare now overrides the travel logistics, but both elements are potentially problematic still - probably until mid-year, possibly even beyond that.

I have everything in place for this March, but am at the point of reluctantly doing what Tincatinker suggests and unravelling my plans. Personally, I will review with either June or autumn becoming a possibility - but with the decision very much closer to any window of opportunity that may open.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
You can guess,we all can guess but ABSOLUTELY no one, none of us has a clue. Everything is what if or when I get my vaccine and what if there is a mutation that the vaccine is not effective for? What if not enough people get the vaccine? What if a new pandemic hits? Experts in the field say this will not be the last time we face this. The list goes on and on. Stay safe, stay covered, stay distanced and stay smart listening to the science. That is the only what if you have control over.

Ernesto.IT

2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
HI,

Mark
Hi Mark,

we almost all, hope that next year will be more reasonable practical and safe to resume our walks.

Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

Jeff Mayor

French route (04,05,06,18) Portugues (07) VDLP (09,10,11) Aragon (4,13) Levante (16) Ebro (19)
I am also hoping to go on camino in April, but because I live in Portugal my circumstances are more favorable than most (not needing to fly, being inside the EU already, being able to decide last-minute, the ability to get home quickly if needed etc). Even then, I'm not sure it will be feasible for me. I don't expect to receive the vaccine until mid-year at the earliest.

Coming from the States where airline cancelations and entry restrictions are possible, I would think it's doubtful at best to be honest. And I don't think June offers much more security either. I think the second half of the year, or next year, is more realistic, but others may have differing opinions. Good luck with your decision and buen camino.
Coming from the US, the vibe I get is to look toward 2022.

Bimbo

Stella
Camino Central, Camino Costa from
Porto Lisbon to Porto (2019)
Future Walks and Camino Norte (2020)
Also looking for an April 2022 or 2023 - Lisbon to Lagos by the Rota Vincentina route.

Travel for us will be delayed longer with our age and vacine concerns.

Happy New Year

Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendent that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
Camino Masks

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
Keep an eye in Spanish news. There are restrictions for non-essential travel in many provincias, and you may not be allowed to walk, even if you manage to enter Spain.
The situation changes every day, it is really hard to predict anything at this stage.

Frances (2016), Norte (2017), Portuges (2018), Mozarabe (2019), Primitivo (2019), Via de La Plata (2
HI,

Mark
I live in Spain, in Andalucia, not far from the route of the Via de La Plata. Things are still very closed here and it is worse in the north. June 2021 is the earliest I think, but later, September, would be better.

LakeMcD

Frances 15' Portuguese 16' GR10/Norte/Primitivo 17' Chemin LePuy 18' Salvador/Prim/Kerry Way 19'
Until we get close to heard immunity the vaccine is a double edged sword as far as the spread is concerned. With the vaccine it is expected that you can still contract the virus and that your body will have a more appropriate response. Which means it will feel less severe than the range of responses of those who have already contracted the virus. My guess is that fewer people will contribute any illness symptoms to Covid. We will in effect increase the number of asymptomatic and mildly symptomatic spreaders. So for those not vaccinated yet, I believe an even higher degree of vigilance will be required. This all emphasizes the importance of continued mask wearing, hand washing, etc...

SusanH

Walked 2014
HI,

Mark
I am in the exact same position as you! But, I think that I need to start cancelling things... 😔

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.