• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino this April

Time of past OR future Camino
2021, 2022, 2023
HI,

We are due to start our Camino on the 12th April (postponed from last April). I'm wondering how feasible this is? Currently we have no idea if we will have been vaccinated by then or what the conditions on the Camino will be like. We have pre-booked most of our accommodation, but could change this.

Do you think this is doable or should we look to move this to later in the year, maybe starting first week in June, or leaving it to next year?

Thanks for all views and opinions.

Mark

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am also hoping to go on camino in April, but because I live in Portugal my circumstances are more favorable than most (not needing to fly, being inside the EU already, being able to decide last-minute, the ability to get home quickly if needed etc). Even then, I'm not sure it will be feasible for me. I don't expect to receive the vaccine until mid-year at the earliest.

Coming from the States where airline cancelations and entry restrictions are possible, I would think it's doubtful at best to be honest. And I don't think June offers much more security either. I think the second half of the year, or next year, is more realistic, but others may have differing opinions. Good luck with your decision and buen camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Personally, I would start that long round of changing flight & accommodation bookings and for next year. The vaccination programme in the UK will not be completed in April or June; October/November is a more reasonable assumption based on current projections themselves based on tentative data. The reality may well be that we are still queueing with our sleeves rolled up this time 2022.

Hope may always triumph but wishful thinking isn't in the same league.

Chris Whitty the chief medical officer for the UK has just talked about the possibility of the need for lockdowns next winter makes me think that any plans for April this year may be a little optimistic, it sounds as though the virus is going to be around for a while longer if not for ever.
Don’t think I’ll be making any bookings any time soon, especially given the struggle I had getting my money back from Ryanair!!
Regards
George

HI,

We are due to start our Camino on the 12th April (postponed from last April). I'm wondering how feasible this is? Currently we have no idea if we will have been vaccinated by then or what the conditions on the Camino will be like. We have pre-booked most of our accommodation, but could change this.

Do you think this is doable or should we look to move this to later in the year, maybe starting first week in June, or leaving it to next year?

Mark

Highly unlikely I would expect......

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I managed a curtailed Camino in March '20 and only just managed to find a way back to the UK "by the skin of my teeth"...everything, including public transport was simply closing down. Looking back, it was certainly memorable and an "adventure", but in truth I wouldn't want to go through the experience again. For me, health welfare now overrides the travel logistics, but both elements are potentially problematic still - probably until mid-year, possibly even beyond that.

I have everything in place for this March, but am at the point of reluctantly doing what Tincatinker suggests and unravelling my plans. Personally, I will review with either June or autumn becoming a possibility - but with the decision very much closer to any window of opportunity that may open.

You can guess,we all can guess but ABSOLUTELY no one, none of us has a clue. Everything is what if or when I get my vaccine and what if there is a mutation that the vaccine is not effective for? What if not enough people get the vaccine? What if a new pandemic hits? Experts in the field say this will not be the last time we face this. The list goes on and on. Stay safe, stay covered, stay distanced and stay smart listening to the science. That is the only what if you have control over.

HI,

Mark
Hi Mark,

we almost all, hope that next year will be more reasonable practical and safe to resume our walks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am also hoping to go on camino in April, but because I live in Portugal my circumstances are more favorable than most (not needing to fly, being inside the EU already, being able to decide last-minute, the ability to get home quickly if needed etc). Even then, I'm not sure it will be feasible for me. I don't expect to receive the vaccine until mid-year at the earliest.

Coming from the States where airline cancelations and entry restrictions are possible, I would think it's doubtful at best to be honest. And I don't think June offers much more security either. I think the second half of the year, or next year, is more realistic, but others may have differing opinions. Good luck with your decision and buen camino.
Coming from the US, the vibe I get is to look toward 2022.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Also looking for an April 2022 or 2023 - Lisbon to Lagos by the Rota Vincentina route.

Travel for us will be delayed longer with our age and vacine concerns.

Happy New Year

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Keep an eye in Spanish news. There are restrictions for non-essential travel in many provincias, and you may not be allowed to walk, even if you manage to enter Spain.
The situation changes every day, it is really hard to predict anything at this stage.

HI,

Mark
I live in Spain, in Andalucia, not far from the route of the Via de La Plata. Things are still very closed here and it is worse in the north. June 2021 is the earliest I think, but later, September, would be better.

Until we get close to heard immunity the vaccine is a double edged sword as far as the spread is concerned. With the vaccine it is expected that you can still contract the virus and that your body will have a more appropriate response. Which means it will feel less severe than the range of responses of those who have already contracted the virus. My guess is that fewer people will contribute any illness symptoms to Covid. We will in effect increase the number of asymptomatic and mildly symptomatic spreaders. So for those not vaccinated yet, I believe an even higher degree of vigilance will be required. This all emphasizes the importance of continued mask wearing, hand washing, etc...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
HI,

Mark
I am in the exact same position as you! But, I think that I need to start cancelling things... 😔

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.