• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino through the Pyrenees

morrisjo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino portuguese
Hi everyone,
My daughter and I walked the trek from Porto to Santiago last year. Next year we're going to do the Frances route. I'd like to do the challenge of hiking the height of the Pyrenees but would like to break it up into 2 days instead of 1. Also would like to stay in a hotel. Our tour company has us going on the "lower" less challenging route in order to support us staying in hotels. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to split the walk into 2 days, keeping the trek going through the peaks of the mountains, and staying in hotels? Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you want to stay in hotels you can do this by spending two nights in St Jean Pied de Port and using the Express Bourricot Mountain Shuttle.

la-navette-du-matin(2).png

Or, if you are lucky you can reserve the one private room at Auberge Borda.

Well you could start on the Aragonnes and go over the Pyrenees there instead of St. Jean. It is a beautiful route and more towns and infrastructure on the way down.

The other way is book yourself at either Orrison or Borda. These are on the "uphill" part of the climb out of St Jean. These are very popular places to stay and probably not available to the booking company.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi @morrisjo, https://www.expressbourricot.com/ run a shuttle service between St Jean and The Virgen de Orrison. You could walk up and return to St Jean. Following day take the shuttle up and walk to Roncesvalles. You would need to renegotiate your accommodation provision as you'll need two nights in St Jean.

Otherwise go with the Valcarlos route, it is the older and more traditional route and climbs to over a 1000 metres at Ibenata. And bear in mind that even the Col de Lepoeder at 1500 metres is scarcely the Pyrenees. The great peaks of the Pyrenees are much further to the east and climbing to 3400 metres.

For more info on the historic Valcarlos route through the pass see
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...y

However next day after Valcarlos do stop at Roncesvalles where there are hotels as well as a pilgrim albergue.

The evening blessing in the Roncesvalles monastery church is a poignant experience for all; don't miss this age-old tradition. If you choose to attend you will remember it always.

Happy planning to both of you and Buen camino!

The other way is book yourself at either Orrison or Borda. These are on the "uphill" part of the climb out of St Jean. These are very popular places to stay and probably not available to the booking company.
Also, Orisson only has dorms, and Borda has dorms and one double room.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well you could start on the Aragonnes and go over the Pyrenees there instead of St. Jean. It is a beautiful route and more towns and infrastructure on the way down.

That sounds interesting to me. Especially to break up the descent in order to save my knees. Where exactly does this rout start and where does it join the CF?

It starts in France, however, the easiest place to start would be in Somport or even Canfranc. You can take the train from Madrid to Zaragoza, then another slower train to Canfranc. Then a bus to the Somport pass. Or train to Zaragoza and bus to Jaca and bus to Somport. Transfers are all very easy. Hotel options all the way down the valley. Joins the CF at Puenta la Reina. PM if you need more details. We volunteered in Canfranc Pueblo last summer and walked part of this route. Very beautiful.

Hi everyone,
My daughter and I walked the trek from Porto to Santiago last year. Next year we're going to do the Frances route. I'd like to do the challenge of hiking the height of the Pyrenees but would like to break it up into 2 days instead of 1. Also would like to stay in a hotel. Our tour company has us going on the "lower" less challenging route in order to support us staying in hotels. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to split the walk into 2 days, keeping the trek going through the peaks of the mountains, and staying in hotels? Thanks!

That sounds interesting to me. Especially to break up the descent in order to save my knees. Where exactly does this rout start and where does it join the CF?
The Camino Aragonés starts at the Col de Somport and joins the Camino Francés at Puenta la Reina. Have a look at Gronze--if you use your phone with Chrome as your browser it will translate the site into English for you. By clicking on each stage you will see accommodation options to give you an idea of what's available for that segment https://www.gronze.com/camino-aragones

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The Aragon route definitely has you walking through the peaks of the Pyrenees (more so than the Napoleon route). If you truly want a challenge, start at Oloron in France on the Arles route and walk up into the Pyrenees to meet the Aragon after three days.

It starts in France, however, the easiest place to start would be in Somport or even Canfranc. You can take the train from Madrid to Zaragoza, then another slower train to Canfranc. Then a bus to the Somport pass. Or train to Zaragoza and bus to Jaca and bus to Somport. Transfers are all very easy. Hotel options all the way down the valley. Joins the CF at Puenta la Reina. PM if you need more details. We volunteered in Canfranc Pueblo last summer and walked part of this route. Very beautiful.
Thank you!! I’d like to walk the CF this spring but don’t like all the crowds and hustling in SJPDP and Roncevalles so this could be a great option.
I might catch up with you later once my plans get more clear!

Take a look at the various threads on the forum from this route. There are several who have posted their experiences and it will give you a flavor of what to expect.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi everyone,

Another vote for the Mountain Shuttle option.

My wife and I did this in September of this year.

Day 1: we walked 17km to Croix Thibault. Picked up by the shuttle at 14:30 and taken to our lodgings down at the bottom.

Day 2: Dropped off at C. T. around 09:00, then walked 16km to Burguete, where we stayed in a Pension. And it shortened Day 3 to Zubiri by 3Km.

I highly recommend the shuttle.

Jim

Thank you!! I’d like to walk the CF this spring but don’t like all the crowds and hustling in SJPDP and Roncevalles so this could be a great option.
I might catch up with you later once my plans get more clear!
Just remember that many people, myself included, treasure the memories of walking up and over the Pyrenees from STJPDP. An absolute highlight of my Camino Frances. Don’t deny yourself those memories.

Thank you!! I’d like to walk the CF this spring but don’t like all the crowds and hustling in SJPDP and Roncevalles so [the Camino Aragonese] could be a great option.

I see two points mentioned above that are correct but may lead to some confusion. I want to elaborate now to avoid that possiblity.

As mentioned earlier, information on the Camino Aragonese is available here (in Spanish but the Chrome browser will give you a translation):

Notice that there are two towns with the name Puente de Reina shown. The bigger one is at the end of the Aragonese and on the Camino Francés (often chosen as the end of the stage from Pamplona). The other, Puente de Reina de Jaca, is near the end of Gronze's stage two of the Aragonese.

Stage six of Gronze's Aragonese has you visiting the Church of Santa María de Eunate whence there are two ways to go forward to the Francés. One goes to Obanos 2.6 kms east of Puente la Reina and the other to Puente la Reina via the Ermita de Nuestra Señora de Arnotegui. There is a thread on these two variants.

This reminds me of our first Camino when we wrote the Pyranese off as just hills, on the basis of them being not as tall as mountain passes we have climbed, and that most of the way up is by a local road. Had to change my mind after lugging 25kg of gear up, and up, on our first day, was kind of glad for the low cloud obscuring our view of the top so just kept plugging away. Still the route down the Spanish side through the birch forest is one of my fondest memories.

Plenty of good advice already given and lots more options to stay now then when we did it. I recall a very long second day when we walked to the outskirts of Palermo due to a number of albergues being closed for repairs that year. No need for this madness these days thanks to more options and better advice. Take care, especially on the first few days as you can damage your self which will plague you the rest of the trip.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You can also stay your first night in Huntto (between Orisson and St. Jean) at Ferme Ithurburia. You'll avoid the crowds in SJPDP and get a good jump on the hike over the mountain. It's a beautiful place with private rooms, good food, and amazing views.

Hi everyone,
Go the mountain route...it's magical! I did it at 71....has a reservation at Orisson but chose to keep going. Next time I will stop there just to make it a bit easier on these old bones. There are no hotels on the mountain, but if you don't stay is some hostels you really are missing part of the experience!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi everyone,
My 2 stays in Orisson were 2 of my most treasured experiences and where I connected with Camino friends.

Hi everyone,
I used the carrier service shuttle (forgot name office conveniently located in SJPDP) to take me from ORISSON back to SJPDP) and next morning back to ORISSON. Then proceeded to Roncessville. Stayed in a one bedroom “apartment “ in Roncessville converted monastery and had best meal on entire Camino Frances for $22. It was a 5 star Micheline equivalent.

used the carrier service shuttle (forgot name office conveniently located in SJPDP) to take me from ORISSON back to SJPDP) and next morning back to ORISSON
Was it Express Bourricot?
If you want to stay in hotels you can do this by spending two nights in St Jean Pied de Port and using the Express Bourricot Mountain Shuttle.

View attachment 136882

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Napoleon route through the Pyrenees isn't particularly difficult for anyone in reasonable shape. But I guess this comes from one that has hiked extensively in the Canadian Rockies where mountain hiking can be very challenging. I would class the Pyrenees as more of moderate foot hills, rather than actual mountains. The only real danger is if you get a major shift in the weather. This is more of an issue for early spring hiking or late fall. If hiking during these times please heed the weather reports and if in doubt don't go.
But don't get too worked up about it, you'll be fine.
Below is a picture of the Canadian Rockies for comparison purposes.
FB_IMG_1570479192599.jpg

I am still looking to walk from Auch, France to the Somport Pass and through Java, Spain to Puente la Reina during the second week of April 2023 but am hesitant because I have been told that there is still snow up there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You will not know until then, but you can always bus through any patches covered with snow (VERY likely at Somport in early April)

The Napoleon route through the Pyrenees isn't particularly difficult for anyone in reasonable shape. But I guess this comes from one that has hiked extensively in the Canadian Rockies where mountain hiking can be very challenging. I would class the Pyrenees as more of moderate foot hills, rather than actual mountains. The only real danger is if you get a major shift in the weather. This is more of an issue for early spring hiking or late fall. If hiking during these times please heed the weather reports and if in doubt don't go.
But don't get too worked up about it, you'll be fine.
Below is a picture of the Canadian Rockies for comparison purposes.
View attachment 136944
Thanks, going up is not going to be a problem but going down might be. I have walked in the mountains but quite a while ago and coming from the Netherlands…..

You can also stay your first night in Huntto (between Orisson and St. Jean) at Ferme Ithurburia. You'll avoid the crowds in SJPDP and get a good jump on the hike over the mountain. It's a beautiful place with private rooms, good food, and amazing views.
Yes totally agree, the views from our deck in the early morning were a real highlight for us , and starting here makes the remaining walk very doable.

I walked from STPDP to Roncessvilles in a day and the weather did change (in April). It was shorts’ weather by mid day and white-out snow by the time I arrived (alone).
Prepare for the worst and enjoy whatever Mother Nature offers! Buen Camino
Btw - we know winter! ❄️
NancyLee Canada 🇨🇦

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back