• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Torres

A

Anonymous

I have found website about new (for me) camino - Camino Torres. This way starts from Salamanca and goes west to Portugal where it joints with Caminho Portuguese in Braga. Next, the way goes to Ponte de Lima and follows traditional Portuguese Way to Santiago. Lenght - 570 km , 23 etaps.
website http://caminosantiago.usal.es/torres/.
If anybody knows more about this way, especially first Spanish part (albergues, way marking) please say something. :mrgreen:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
miroslaw said:
I have found website about new (for me) camino - Camino Torres. This way starts from Salamanca and goes west to Portugal where it joints with Caminho Portuguese in Braga. Next, the way goes to Ponte de Lima and follows traditional Portuguese Way to Santiago. Lenght - 570 km , 23 etaps.
If anybody knows more about this way, especially first Spanish part (albergues, way marking) please say something.

Hi Miroslaw,

Looks like you found an historical camino, but they do give you GPS downloads so you could be really adventurous and report back with details. This route goes through Lamego, and there is another thread which is quite recent about another camino from there up to Chaves and on to Verin,reconnecting again with the Portuguese option of the VdlP. Sorry I couldnt help you with more relevant info, but this interests me as well.

Mike

Ps Just been looking at the photos they give for the etapas WOW!

yes, that's a new one on me too, though I see the 'noticias' only start in July. Another one to add to the list. Their website doesn't mention the routes in the thread Mike mentions, with which it would to be partly coincident, so it wouldn't surprise me if the two projects are completely unaware of one another.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
yes, that's a new one on me too, though I see the 'noticias' only start in July. Another one to add to the list. Their website doesn't mention the routes in the thread Mike mentions, with which it would to be partly coincident, so it wouldn't surprise me if the two projects are completely unaware of one another.

I was too quick on the post botton.
Anyway is there any new info on the Camino Torres?
I like that it joins the Caminho Portugues, I know the part from Tamel very Well:), but am a little concerned about the Albergues until then. If there are any.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think before Ponte de Lima there are a few albergues. There is a pilgrim one in Braga which opened up in August+ the one in Sao Pedro de Goaes, half way between P de L and Braga. A youth hostel in Guimares, a Refugio in Lamego as part of the Caminho del Interior. And i believe there is 4 or 5 between Salamanca and there. Out of the 23 stages i think you will find pilgrim dedicated places to stay in about 14/15 of them. I saw a really good blog earlier this year by a German pilgrim who walked this route, there is more parts of this way with yellow arrows than the website claims. Up to Lamego, about 270 km, it looks like it is on beautiful trail for long parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have now made the plans for my Camino Torres.:)
And I do have some concern about the Gps-tracks; some - most- of them is automatically shortened as they are downloaded to my GPS.:mad:
It also looks like it is not properly waymarked and good maps are nowhere to get. I can print maps from the internet but then I would have to bring a trailer for all that paper.:confused:
a bit frustrating :(
I have read the german blog and got some good info on accommodation.;)
Anyway, I will be on my way in the end of June 2014:cool:

I have now walked Camino Torres and found that sometimes it is well marked and other times not.
I did need a GPS, and on my gps The track download sometimes was Cut to half the distance, so I had to make maps using the interactive map on Caminotorres.us.es.and word and save as pdf on my smartphone.
I started i Ciudad Rodrigo and saw some yellow arrows from other caminos. It was outside the City at. The fod of the castle I felt I could trust the arrows.
I used a compination of gps, homemade map and arrows to find the way.
It was a hard camino with a lot of km on the way up and down, the climbs were hard and also some of the desents.
The vue over the Douro- Valley was spectaculaire
Many km in between buches, on dirttracks, animaltracks, assphalt and cupplestones.
I did'nt meet any other pilgrims, only the mention of others.
No Albergues, but Residencials and firestations and pousada Juventude.
The 300km from C. Rodrigo to Ponte de Lima were hard, I had Sun,rain and thunder/ligthning and from 25-40*c.
In a way it was a releaf to arrive in Ponte de Lima and meet other pilgrims, from there it was Caminho Portugues Central the next 150km.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’ve also now completed this walk. Having started in Sevilla, we headed SW from Salamanca to Ciudad Rodrigo, then NW through Portugal (Almeida, Pinhel, Trancoso, Lamego, Amarante, Guimarães, Braga), not seeing another backpack until Ponte de Lima, from where, as expected, we saw many.

Waymarking on the whole, was very good (an opinion coloured, perhaps, by the expectation, prior to walking, that we’d find little). That said, there were sections / occasions where I was glad of the security of having GPX tracks to hand.

All-in-all, a great Camino- lots to offer- Spain, west of Salamanca, was impressive – wide vistas, big sky, muchos toros. Portugal, the Duoro valley particularly (as mentioned by “Perigrino Robert”), is genuinely beautiful. Also, even coming from the VdlP (quiet itself in July), the peace / solitude / whatever one might call it, offered by the ‘Torres’ is a great attraction – our arrival in Ponte de Lima, with its relative hoards of pilgrims, required a little mental readjustment.

On that subject, the hospitaleiro of Alba De Yeltes, the third stop after Salamanca, a very helpful man by the name of Jacinto Martín García, keeps a register of all pilgrims who stay at the albergue – and all walkers (save for people camping I suppose) must – no other towns within reasonable distance, and no other accommodation possibilities in the town. His register begins in 2011, when a single individual, a cyclist, stopped there. In 2012, there were 12 pilgims (5 walkers and a group of 7 cyclists). 2013 shows 31 pilgrims (9 walkers and 22 cyclists – including a group of 17). In 2014, up to late July, when we passed through, there had been (including us) 9 pilgrims, all on foot. That made us pilgrims numbers 52 and 53, and walkers numbers 22 and 23 – as stated, quiet. And, I noted that I appear to be the first Irish person to walk the route (Woo-hoo!).

Anyway, much to be enjoyed, a great walk.

It's the first time I've ever heard of this Camino today. After some reading and going through photos on links in previous posts it is very very high on my Camino bucket list :)
Thanks everyone for posting in this thread!!!

@briandog I have seen news articles for various places along this Camino where the locals seem to have taken it to their hearts and started way marking it. Do you remember the difficult sections and could you list them? I am thinking of starting on the Mozarabe next year and this would give me the option of mostly leaving the Vdlp from Seville to a later date, but I am not very tech savy and GPS has too much promise of wandering aimlessly in remote parts. Thanks for any help or details you could provide.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mike, I haven’t seen those articles myself but would be interested to do so – can you recall the source(s)? We were curious, as we walked, as to who might be responsible for the arrows we were seeing, the majority of which appeared to be relatively new.

As to the ‘difficult sections’, I assume, from the context, that you mean sections lacking in waymarking… Immediately after crossing the Spanish/Portuguese border, we entered the town of Val de Lamula. As best as I can recall, from there to Almeida (our stop that day, a distance of maybe 7-8 km), we saw no arrows at all (though they may exist along the road, which is a shorter alternative to the track we took). I also recall not seeing arrows until leaving town in both Pinhel and Moimenta da Beira. Other than that, there were a fair number of instances (mostly in Portugal, as best as I can recollect) where I thought it best to consult the GPS, though I can’t provide specific locations for these.

In my opinion, you could walk this route without GPX/GPS, though you may (or may not – I should re-stress the quality of the waymarking) lose a few hours here and there (I found that this tech – my first time using it on a Camino – and I’m not a massive fan, as I think that, somehow, it has the potential to detract from the experience – saved me from ‘wandering aimlessly in remote parts’, as you put it). However (you spoke of not being ‘tech savvy’) – if you have a smartphone and if you can get somebody who is ‘savvy’ to load the tracks (downloadable from http://caminosantiago.usal.es/torres/) and then install OsmAnd for Spain and Portugal (or equivalent for non-Android), you’ll find them very easy to use, once set up.

Hi Briandog thanks for the reply. The Facebook site for the Camino Torres has links to groups who have been walking it, I had the feeling that some of them had been way marking. Also Espacio* Portugal( I think that's their name) give links to groups who had been way marking the areas from the Douro valley to Guimares. Or it could be just a lone pilgrim with a spray can.
A big thanks again, your info might just find me on this route next year.

*Associciao Espacao Jacobeus

Last edited by a moderator:
If anybody knows more about this way, especially first Spanish part (albergues, way marking) please say something. :mrgreen:

http://caminosantiago.usal.es/torres
http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/routes/details/torres.html

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

This camino is passing the picturesque Portuguese city of Guimarães (a World Heritage City!). I recommend you to stay there in the lovely hostel called MY HOSTEL a few steps from the old Santiago Square downtown.
See http://www.booking.com/hotel/pt/my-hostel.nl.html
Consider to have a break there. There is a lot to see. Take for example the cable car to the top of the mountain (nice view + nice picnic area!). Enjoy!
Another nice city on your way to Santiago de Compostela is the Portuguese city of Braga with nearby the Bom Jesus Sanctuary:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bom_Jesus_do_Monte

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.