• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

camino trail work

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: SJPP to Santiago 2011
Camino Frances: Le Put to SJPP 2014
El Norte: (2016)
There were several places on the Camino Frances in France and Spain where the trail needed work - I help repair and build trails in Washington State in the US and was wondering if anyone knew how to volunteer to help out on the Camino trails. I realize that COVID safety has constrained travel but I am planning for the future. Thanks.

MisterH

Camino(s) past & future
2017, 2018 neither successful
There were several places on the Camino Frances in France and Spain where the trail needed work - I help repair and build trails in Washington State in the US and was wondering if anyone knew how to volunteer to help out on the Camino trails. I realize that COVID safety has constrained travel but I am planning for the future. Thanks.
I used to help maintain trails in the Sierra Nevada mountains near Fresno. If I could figure out how how to get there I'd like to help, if my wife lets me.

Camino(s) past & future
Great idea to contact Rebecca. I will also find out about the Ditch Pigs. Thank you.

Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Which areas are you thinking of?? I believe that the descent to El Acebo (from Manjarin) could be one. But maybe the rest should be left "as is" - make the pilgrims "work". Cheers

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
The descent from Alto de Perdon is a killer of loose rocks. It could really use some help.
Figure out where you want to work, @mocamino , then get some advice about who to contact locally to help with permission (if needed) and tools. Amigos organizations might be good way in - they will know local cobitions best. @Rebekah Scott isxa good place to start.

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and back (roads & paths; Tours; Francés; sea; roads & paths)
Amigos organizations might be good way in - they will know local conditions best.
The Spanish Amigos (Friends of the Camino) organisations are presumably good contact points. As to the Alto del Perdon, and just to shed a bit of light on the situation in Spain where the Camino trails are not owned or managed by a single entity: Four years ago, when there was a long-running discussion on the forum about the Camino Francés trail in that area, I did try to find out a bit more about how to effect change and sent an email. I got this reply:

We inform you that the Environmental Department [I don't now whether this is national, regional or local] annually makes the maintenance and the signposting of the Way to Santiago in Navarra.
We know the section referenced, it is very rocky with slope and can damage the knees, causing some accidents.
Your proposal to condition a zigzag path it is ideal solution, but very expensive and also it involves the expropriation of land to undertake the works.​
Best of luck to @mocamino and @MisterH!

PS: Reminds me that I once wanted to volunteer in a National Park in the USA and they had already half offered me a place when they discovered that non-residential foreigners were not allowed to participate in their volunteers program, not even when I was prepared to pay everything for my stay myself including accommodation.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Which areas are you thinking of?? I believe that the descent to El Acebo (from Manjarin) could be one. But maybe the rest should be left "as is" - make the pilgrims "work". Cheers

I was thinking of places where the trail is so muddy that pilgrims are braiding the sides to avoid mud and sneaking up into adjacent fields annoying the farmers. Also where steep trail is eroded and the water flow increases erosion creating dangerous passages. I forget where exactly the places are so will need to consult my journals. There were some epic passages in France and Spain that were particularly messy.

Camino(s) past & future
The Spanish Amigos (Friends of the Camino) organisations are presumably good contact points. As to the Alto del Perdon, and just to shed a bit of light on the situation in Spain where the Camino trails are not owned or managed by a single entity: Four years ago, when there was a long-running discussion on the forum about the Camino Francés trail in that area, I did try to find out a bit more about how to effect change and sent an email. I got this reply:

We inform you that the Environmental Department [I don't now whether this is national, regional or local] annually makes the maintenance and the signposting of the Way to Santiago in Navarra.
We know the section referenced, it is very rocky with slope and can damage the knees, causing some accidents.
Your proposal to condition a zigzag path it is ideal solution, but very expensive and also it involves the expropriation of land to undertake the works.​

PS: Reminds me that I once wanted to volunteer in a National Park in the USA and they had already half offered me a place when they discovered that non-residential foreigners were not allowed to participate in their volunteers program, not even when I was prepared to pay everything for my stay myself including accommodation.

Thanks and sorry you were unable to volunteer in the US. It is an odd country at times, especially now. I was thinking helping out on camino trails could get complicated if it required permits and land easements and tool purchases. I was also thinking that there might be scope for applying for a grant for World Heritage sites that might be used to fund key locations or it might be possible to contact local trail organizations already doing trail work.

Camino(s) past & future
Lycra tribe.
CF (2017/8), VF (2018/9), Old Way (2020), VFnS (2020), CP (rebooked) (2021), VdT (ToDo)
non-residential foreigners were not allowed to participate in their volunteers program, not even when I was prepared to pay everything for my stay myself including accommodation.

Hope you were not offering to build a wall.

We've got a couple here in the UK we could sell. Slightly used but have lasted around 1900 years. We did manage to sell London Bridge so if walls are needed ....

MisterH

Camino(s) past & future
2017, 2018 neither successful

About your PS, in California when I was a crew leader we took anyone that showed up. All food and a place to camp were, and probably still are, free.

Getting trail workers is difficult. We never checked the nationality or immigration status of crew members. We also provide a common kitchen and full set of tools with safety equipment. Usually we have multiple volunteer cooks and usually stop working before 3 pm.

For more information please send me a private message, or two.

Last edited:

ginniek

Camino(s) past & future
frances 2017
There are a lot of liability issues, and insurance companies regulate who can do what --especially in the litigious US, and increasingly in the EU, Canada, etc.

Advertisement

Booking.com