• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Transom Windows

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014
Camino Portugues 2015
While reading Ivar's "Popular Topics" today, my wife Suzie asked what I post on the Forum. Tomorrow is our 40th wedding anniversary - earlier this year we each celebrated our 60th birthdays. We walked Camino Frances from St. Jean in 2014 - there were 6 in our group. In September, we return to St. Jean, just the two of us, to walk Camino Frances - a little older, a little slower, perhaps a little wiser.

The Camino is present with us each day. We have a 7-foot St. James sculpture from our legacy oak tree that we had to remove from our backyard. With our home remodel, we are looking at Camino-themed Transom Windows. The Stained Glass Artist is asking for ideas. What better source than our Camino Family on the Forum?

When I think of iconic images of the Camino these come to mind:

Puenta La Reina Bridge - Cruz de Ferro - Camino Marker - Scallop Shell

Yellow Arrow - Camino Stamps - Meseta - Sunset

St. James - Santiago Cathedral - Muxia - Finisterre

For our simple home, there is no recreating the beautiful stained glass of the Leon cathedral. We're just looking for a simple design that can be interpreted by our artist. When the sun shines through the colored glass, we can pause and reflect on the Camino - a journey each of us takes each day.

Many thanks and Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
It does not have to be the entire cathedral, a significant detail may do as well.
The rose window above the main entrance of the cathedral in León comes to mind.

Or the clock.

27To_Castrojeriz2_001.jpg

.............................. Sunrise west of Hontanas 11/11/2012

"Life is the fire that burns and the sun that gives light.
Life is the wind and the rain and the thunder in the sky.
Life is matter and is earth, what is and what is not,
and what beyond is in Eternity."
Seneca

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
First, congratulations on your anniversary. We had ours yesterday and pulpo was on the menu. Our 30th was spent on camino.

As for the stained glass here are two pictures of mine that may give you an idea of what could be done. The meseta camino may be easier to do and thus be cheaper. You could find some picture like it with the needed proportions and perhaps a wider range of colors. Put the two of you in it. Perhaps it work work as an abstract piece. St. James could look really cool but it is probably too involved.

Sounds very interesting with your own camino transom window.
Her is for your inspiration a couple of photos: one from Sct. Jacobs Church in Jaca (camino Aragones) and one from the church in Granon, and one from the Cathedral Sct. Knuds in Odense DK.
You could also think of the Santiago cross, and the TAU sighn. Good Luck with your project. 🍀

Attachments

• IMG_2021 (redigeret).JPG
    IMG_2021 (redigeret).JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2470 (redigeret).JPG
    IMG_2470 (redigeret).JPG
    526.5 KB · Views: 8
  • P2210023.JPG
    P2210023.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • cruz de santiago.jpg
    cruz de santiago.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 6
  • TAU.gif
    TAU.gif
    9 KB · Views: 5
While reading Ivar's "Popular Topics" today, my wife Suzie asked what I post on the Forum. Tomorrow is our 40th wedding anniversary - earlier this year we each celebrated our 60th birthdays. We walked Camino Frances from St. Jean in 2014 - there were 6 in our group. In September, we return to St. Jean, just the two of us, to walk Camino Frances - a little older, a little slower, perhaps a little wiser.

The Camino is present with us each day. We have a 7-foot St. James sculpture from our legacy oak tree that we had to remove from our backyard. With our home remodel, we are looking at Camino-themed Transom Windows. The Stained Glass Artist is asking for ideas. What better source than our Camino Family on the Forum?

When I think of iconic images of the Camino these come to mind:

Puenta La Reina Bridge - Cruz de Ferro - Camino Marker - Scallop Shell

Yellow Arrow - Camino Stamps - Meseta - Sunset

St. James - Santiago Cathedral - Muxia - Finisterre

For our simple home, there is no recreating the beautiful stained glass of the Leon cathedral. We're just looking for a simple design that can be interpreted by our artist. When the sun shines through the colored glass, we can pause and reflect on the Camino - a journey each of us takes each day.

Many thanks and Buen Camino!

View attachment 60786

Now, you NEED a REAL Camino mojone / distance marker... Search for it here in the Forum.

The correct 2016 Galician specs are available ( I have them in a pdf file). Others have actually commissioned local stonecutters to use granite (the material used in Galicia) to replicate the real deal.

You can use a maps program to determine the exact distance in kilometers, from where the mojon would be placed to the zero distance marker in the center of Plaza Obradoiro in front of the Cathedral in Santiago.

FYI - I find the native Apple iPhone /iPad maps app yields the easiest to follow result. Just use Plaza Obradoiro, Santiago de Compostela, Spain as your destination. Easy peasy... For authenticity, include at least one decimal place...

You obtain the ceramic concha in Santiago. If you do not have one, ask someone who is there to bring one back to the US and post it to you. Make sure to specify the size you want in cm.

Hope this helps.

Now THAT is a conversation starter...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
P1050623.jpgP1050627.jpg

OK, so this window is on the Le Puy route, between Conques and Decazaville, but I loved the colours and the pattern when I saw it. Then shortly afterwards, there were several pine trees with wonderful patterns in the bark that the window echoed.

In my final career stop, I was fortunate to work with and manage a team that just happened to all be very Catholic. When I retired, they were all aware that my first post-retirement activity was a plan to walk the Camino Frances. They surprised me with a most unusual retirement gift, an icon of St James the Pilgrim, written by an iconographer in the Archdiocese of Portland. It hangs in our living room, now with two framed Compostelas beneath it. Attached is a photo of the icon, and you are most welcome to use it as inspiration for what sounds like a beautiful and meaningful idea.
Buon Camino.

Attachments

• 2170CFBD-7059-469B-9892-C14649538A2F.jpeg
    2170CFBD-7059-469B-9892-C14649538A2F.jpeg
    719.4 KB · Views: 10
I would suggest you find a drawing like the avatar of Rex (above). I really like that style.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would suggest you find a drawing like the avatar of Rex (above). I really like that style.
My avatar is actually a closely cropped photo of artwork found in the bar at the west end, just a few feet off the plaza in O’Cebreiro. Red wine served in small white cups at the end of a long climb... 😎

As someone who has often worked in the window manufacturing industry, I had to open this thread when I saw the word 'transom'. Never expected to see it in a Camino thread.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.