• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino travel literature suggestions

Burton Axxe

Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2023
I’m an avid reader of travel literature and would like to hear your specific recommendations about Camino travelogues, particularly the CF.

My own reading tastes lean towards the travel, geography, adventure elements as opposed to personal or spiritual transformations (I’m referring to reading material here- not my own motivations for doing the Camino). Paul Theroux’s travel writings would serve as a model.

Of course, I also hope the author is competent- not a given with so much self-publishing at hand these days. Recent accounts are also preferable.

Your suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Two Camino books I felt were well written and I enjoyed were The Way of the Gardener, and Into the Thin - very different types of books. One I did get out of our public library - both quite recent. Both set on the CF. Thanks for posting this thread - as interested to perhaps find another good read! I will be walking the Camino Francis starting in Sept! J

Try The Great Westward Walk.

There are several good threads in this Books section of the forum, about Camino books. @David Tallan keeps an excellent bibliography in the Resources section, that you can download here.
Thanks. I’ve looked at many of these but most readers focus upon the more spiritual/personal literature and lore, which is of less interest to me.

From David’s list I’m hoping readers can highlight those items that suit my interest as stated in the opening post.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Walk : Jamie Bacon's Secret Mission on the Camino de Santiago by Esther Jantzen

"But it's a child's book" I hear you say. All the better for it as well I say.

There's character development. A plot. A mystery. Some history. No blaspheming, no bad language. Once you've enjoyed it you can pass it on to younger family members and have conversations about the content. Hopefully foster an interest in having an adventure themselves You'll be hard pressed to say that about many other Camino related books.

I've read a few this year via Kindle and I've been disappointed with all of them. It's hard to find a book from an author I can relate to as too many go off into partisan politics, pedantic whinges, bad language, repetitively boring and lengthy descriptions of evening drinking every day, soppy love stories etc.

I did really enjoy the excellent A Furnace Full of God (though not a travelogue) and the Brian Skillen trilogy (novels).

I actually prefer some of the many daily blogs that people write, which are more honest and realistic without trying to be hip or edgy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one must read book, IMHO, before and after I walk a Camino is Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist. Although it begins in Spain, this parable speaks to why one does a pilgrimage. It is simple and non-metiphysical, unlike his The Pilgrimage, which although about the CF, I found laborious to get through, with a message that should resonate with any pilgrim.

Of the more specific CF related books that I’ve read lately, I agree with @doctorherman that A Furnace Full of God is worth your time reading. By happenstance, I met Freddy, an individual that Rebeka Scott presents in her book, in the Bar España in Carrión de Los Conde and spent several hours with him touring the town and visiting his guitar making workshop while talking about local cultural events and politics. Just one of those magical experiences one has on the Camino.

Les Etoiles de Compostellea, a novel, by Henri Vincenot provides a fine account of the medieval ways and techniques both philosophical and mechanical used by wandering journeymen or compagnons de devoir who actually built the major structures.
Originally published 1982 in French, the English version is The Prophet of Compostela. The major character in the novel, Jehan le Tonnerre, becomes a journeyman or compagnon.

Today in France such highly specialized craftsmen are known as Les Compagnons de Devoir. Read here in French more about their long history, tradition and contemporary training which includes a working Tour de France. Currently many such compagnons are actively rebuilding Notre Dame de Paris.

For a good English account of the Compagnons see this Wiki article.

See also this earlier thread
re the Compagnons.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Two Camino books I felt were well written and I enjoyed were The Way of the Gardener, and Into the Thin - very different types of books. One I did get out of our public library - both quite recent. Both set on the CF. Thanks for posting this thread - as interested to perhaps find another good read! I will be walking the Camino Francis starting in Sept! J

I just read The Way of the Gardener by Lyndon Penner. Wow, a little gem! If you want to know all about ALL the plants (including trees) you will see on the Camino Frances, this will educate you in a delightful way. Buen Camino

Hape Kerkeling: “I'M OFF THEN" - Written by a German comedian. Has been translated to English. He walked in 2001, book published in 2006. Recently read it for the 2nd time, and enjoyed it alot - especially after having walked the Frances multiple times.
One review - "...an unlikely pilgrim who dispenses life lessons while hiking through northern Spain."
From GoodReads - some reviews - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58093209-i-m-off-then.

The Ur-text travelogue for the Camino is "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook," by the late Gitlitz and Davidson. It takes you down the path and gives you the background on each village and region you pass through, sometimes TOO much info., but from two well-qualified academics who were also Camino pioneers.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I’m an avid reader of travel literature and would like to hear your specific recommendations about Camino travelogues, particularly the CF.

My own reading tastes lean towards the travel, geography, adventure elements as opposed to personal or spiritual transformations (I’m referring to reading material here- not my own motivations for doing the Camino). Paul Theroux’s travel writings would serve as a model.

Of course, I also hope the author is competent- not a given with so much self-publishing at hand these days. Recent accounts are also preferable.

Your suggestions?

I live in Galicia and several friends and I have started a Book Club. The Santiago de Compostela Book Club. We make nothing but we wanted to create community amongst Pilgrims who like to read and would like to meet the authors behind the books and discuss them. If you want to join let me know and I'll send you the link. We will meet for two meetings on August 5th to accommodate members from Seattle to Auckland New Zealand. It should be fun and you'll read across genres and styles.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I live in Galicia and several friends and I have started a Book Club. The Santiago de Compostela Book Club. We make nothing but we wanted to create community amongst Pilgrims who like to read and would like to meet the authors behind the books and discuss them. If you want to join let me know and I'll send you the link. We will meet for two meetings on August 5th to accommodate members from Seattle to Auckland New Zealand. It should be fun and you'll read across genres and styles.
Thank you. I'm interested. Please send me the link privately (I have replied on forum to bump your suggestion for others).

Thank you. I'm interested. Please send me the link privately (I have replied on forum to bump your suggestion for others).
Thank you. I'll message you privately with the link. Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.