• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino tripping in the month of June

AnnaMary

Time of past OR future Camino
I haven't gone there yet. Planning to go in June
Hi there,
I am doing my Camino in the beginning of June. I found that they have summer in the month of June. I have a couple of questions to ask. How should I prepare my bag for the travel? How can I plan my trip at a cheap cost? Can you list out the important things that are required for the trip? I am planning to make DIY tents using my old clothes, some ideas popped up after reading an article (https://www.junk-works.ca/locations/blog/2017/01/03/10-tips-for-upcycling/) (some tips may help you too). I am also appreciating such low-cost DIY ideas too. I am looking for your insights and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi and welcome to the forum @AnaMary ;-) Before you start to make your own tent, I suggest you read a few forum threads regarding Tent/Camping to know some of the problems concerning this. Also, which Camino do you plan to walk and from where are are you coming/traveling to the Camino? And where do you plan to start to walk? All that helps us to give you some answers to your questions. Buen Camino, SY

I am planning to do Geneva Camino from cosmopolitan geneva.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi there,
I am doing my Camino in the beginning of June. I found that they have summer in the month of June. I have a couple of questions to ask. How should I prepare my bag for the travel? How can I plan my trip at a cheap cost? Can you list out the important things that are required for the trip? I am planning to make DIY tents using my old clothes, some ideas popped up after reading an article (https://www.junk-works.ca/locations/blog/2017/01/03/10-tips-for-upcycling/) (some tips may help you too). I am also appreciating such low-cost DIY ideas too. I am looking for your insights and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Hello AnnaMarie! Welcome to the forum.

A few years ago I also walked from Geneva on a budget. Like many people on that route I camped a lot to cut down on cost. There are many campsites along the route (from Geneva and from Le Puy) and these can be really cheap, beautiful and well equipped. I also freecamped out a lot too if official campsites were not available. I think the Geneva route (the Via Gebennensis) lends itself to freecamping.

Also on this route (Geneva to Le Puy) there is a system of Accueil Jacquaire's, basically people who take in Pilgrims for a night. A lot of the time they are pilgrims who have walked the Way themselves.

Guidebooks I used:

1. A guidebook in French and German is published annually by the Association Rhône-Alpes des Amis de St-Jacques (known as ‘The Yellow Guide’). The maps are utterly useless but the accommodation is totally up to date. This guide lists the Accueil Jacquaire's. Also includes height profiles of the route.

2. The FFRP topoguide ‘GR65 St-Jacques de Compostelle: Geneva - Le Puy-en-Velay’. Has excellent maps and route descriptions. In French but easy to understand.

I have written about my journey from Geneva on this forum (including about camping/freecamping) here:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/from-geneva-to-the-end-of-the-world.40650/

Hope this helps

Davey

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.