• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ucles —144 km into Madrid

peregrina2000

Staff member
I just want to point out that, the monastery of Santiago in Uclés, Cuenca, was for centuries the main headquarters of the knights of Santiago in Spain. From an historical point of view, starting the Madrid way in Ucles makes a lot more sense.

Torin, is there a marked camino from Uclés to Madrid? The monastery does look very interesting.
A few forum posts with links and other information about this alternative.

And once there is a forum member who walks this route and reports back, I am sure Ivar will set up a new Camino de Madrid sub-forum for the Camino Uclés.

Let me also just say, in response to one of your comments, that we are not proposing this route as making “more“ or “less” sense than any other Camino route. It is a marked alternative Camino, with an enthusiastic association, and there are a lot of forum members who are eager to try new routes. It would be great to hear back from someone walking from Uclés.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
And once there is a forum member who walks this route and reports back, I am sure Ivar will set up a new Camino de Madrid sub-forum for the Camino Uclés.

As a member of the Association of the Camino de Uclés/Camino Santiago de Uclés (It's marked both ways), I am very happy to see some interest in that camino.
I had the pleasure of walking it twice already and planning for a third time next spring.

The camino is very, very well marked, in red for the way to Uclés and in the usual yellow for the way to Madrid. Special markers, rest areas and other unique points of interest are present all along the way.
It can easily be divided in short stages with the longest one being 23km.

Accommodation is available throughout in the different towns and villages, either in gyms, churches, albergues and cheap hostales. The same applies to food.

The association has its own credential and certificate along with identifying T-shirts and bandetas for sale. Profits going into the maintenance of the camino.
The association doesn't have the means to publish an official guidebook but has put together a document giving all the necessary information(in Spanish only). Cannot be attached here, but available by PM.

Stongly recommended!

Enjoy,
Jean-Marc

Two way camino.jpg

The international tunnel.jpgMarkers found along the way.jpgRest area.jpgRest area at pilgrims' woodlot.jpgCountryside.jpgPilgrims' stones deposited at the cross.jpgOld railroad tunnel.jpgCanadian Shell in International Tunnel.jpgThe monastery of Uclés.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well Canuck, I think that means I should ask Ivar for a separate Ucles sub-forum. Stay tuned and I will separate this thread to make yours the first post.
How many kms to Madrid from the monastery?
144 km that can be done in 5 to 8 days depending on your ability and/or preference.
Thanks for the sub-forum.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Canuck your description sold it to me....maybe a wee walk from Madrid would be a good entree to my next (not 2020) Camino!
I think you will love it as a warm-up.
Worthy of mention is the fact that no one to date from New-Zeland has walked this camino. The first to do it will get a shell with the flag of the country painted on it and placed in the International Tunnel. That is done by the association as a way of recognizing the different origins having walked the camino . I did from Canada. See pictures above.
Cheers,
JM

I think you will love it as a warm-up.
Worthy of mention is the fact that no one to date from New-Zeland has walked this camino. The first to do it will get a shell with the flag of the country painted on it and placed in the International Tunnel. That is done by the association as a way of recognizing the different origins having walked the camino . I did from Canada. See pictures above.
Cheers,
JM
Anyone from Australia?
Might try later in the year.
Thanks for the information.
Mark

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Anyone from Australia?
Might try later in the year.
Thanks for the information.
Mark
No one from Australia to my knowledge.
If you do, make sure you contact the association to get your credential, hence being registered and recognized with the shell upon completion of the camino. The credential can be picked up at the church of Santiago in Madrid. I can help if need be.
Good luck.
JM

As a member of the Association of the Camino de Uclés/Camino Santiago de Uclés (It's marked both ways), I am very happy to see some interest in that camino.
I had the pleasure of walking it twice already and planning for a third time next spring.

The camino is very, very well marked, in red for the way to Uclés and in the usual yellow for the way to Madrid. Special markers, rest areas and other unique points of interest are present all along the way.
It can easily be divided in short stages with the longest one being 23km.

Accommodation is available throughout in the different towns and villages, either in gyms, churches, albergues and cheap hostales. The same applies to food.

The association has its own credential and certificate along with identifying T-shirts and bandetas for sale. Profits going into the maintenance of the camino.
The association doesn't have the means to publish an official guidebook but has put together a document giving all the necessary information(in Spanish only). Cannot be attached here, but available by PM.

Stongly recommended!

Enjoy,
Jean-Marc

View attachment 69080

View attachment 69081View attachment 69082View attachment 69083View attachment 69084View attachment 69085View attachment 69086View attachment 69087View attachment 69089View attachment 69088
Jean Marc,
Wonderful wonderful pictures so thank tou
Would there be any chance that you could ...briefly..list the stages in this post...perhaps with a bit of information re accommodation
So many seem interested in this Camino
Thank you in anticipation and best wishes
Annette

Jean Marc,
Wonderful wonderful pictures so thank tou
Would there be any chance that you could ...briefly..list the stages in this post...perhaps with a bit of information re accommodation
So many seem interested in this Camino
Thank you in anticipation and best wishes
Annette
Annette, go to Madrid subforum for Ucles and there is a new thread with CdU Spanish guide with stages, GPS tracks and all.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just to add an historical tidbit. The Ucles is the baby of hospitalero and peregrino Manuel Rossi. He makes all the signs by himself and well as shells painted with flags from.all over the world. I believe that he is the president of the Amigos group.

He has for years also organized the New Year's Eve dinner at San Martin Pinario in Santiago for a large group of hospitaleros that walk the Francés year end. I met him in 2015 when I joined the group.

I see Manuel Rossi paints arrows both ways. Does anybody have a view about whether Madrid to Uclés might work as well as/better than vice versa? - assuming a week's stand alone camino rather than the start of an attempt at a compostela.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wonder how long it would take to get from Madrid airport to Ucles………..and how. As I was thinking about walking the Camino Madrid later this year the Ucles looks like a very attractive addition as I love the less travelled ways. A quick google search suggests just over 3 hours by train :))

I wonder how long it would take to get from Madrid airport to Ucles………..and how. As I was thinking about walking the Camino Madrid later this year the Ucles looks like a very attractive addition as I love the less travelled ways. A quick google search suggests just over 3 hours by train :))
Mike
Using Rome2Rio
It doesn’t appear that there is a train station in Uclés but I may be mis-Reading. Check it out.
Annie

Attachments

• 86A3FCF8-114E-4804-9D64-3C86E08A7D3A.png
    86A3FCF8-114E-4804-9D64-3C86E08A7D3A.png
    485.5 KB · Views: 14
  • F4D500AE-BEBF-4146-BE85-3CD99E7660B8.png
    F4D500AE-BEBF-4146-BE85-3CD99E7660B8.png
    343.2 KB · Views: 14
It doesn’t appear that there is a train station in Uclés but I may be mis-Reading.

It has a bus station, according to my map app.

Looks like a very cool route, and apparently good for both hikers and bikers !!

Bus from Tarancón Mon to Fri 13:20 ; or from Cuesca 13:00 Mon, Wed, Fri.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I see Manuel Rossi paints arrows both ways. Does anybody have a view about whether Madrid to Uclés might work as well as/better than vice versa? - assuming a week's stand alone camino rather than the start of an attempt at a compostela.
Either way works well Alan.
For having done it twice, Madrid-Uclés was perfect for me. I make it back to Madrid by bus by way of Cuenca.
Cheers!

As indicated by @OzAnnie and @JabbaPapa above, there is not train to Uclés. The best way is by train or bus to Tarancon or Cuenca from Madrid and then by bus to Uclés.
Enjoy!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Or even better start on the Lana and then head towards Ucles from Cuenca about 80 kms…...

Sounds good, even though it looks like you'd be freestyling without any waymarks ...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Mike,

There is a guide in Spanish that describes the camino between Cuenca and Ucles.
“Camino de la Orden de Santiago. Entre Uclés y Cuenca” by Javier Rodríguez Laguía.

Cuenca-Ucles is about 88,5 km and it is divided into 11 stages:

1. Cuenca-Jábaga,
2. Jábaga-Cólliga,
3. Cólliga-Villanueva de los Escuderos,
4. Villanueva de los Escuderos-Villar del Horno,
5. Villar del Horno-Naharros,
6. Naharros-Horcajada de la Torre,
7. Horcajada de la Torre- Valparaíso de Abajo,
8. Valparaíso de Abajo-Olmedilla del Campo,
9. Olmedilla del Campo-Carrascosa del Campo,
10. Carrascosa del Campo-Rozalén del Monte
11. Rozalén del Monte-Uclés.

The association behind it is Cuencleta Asociacion Cultural "Eslabon" from CEPA Luis Aguirre, Cuenca. You can find them in Facebook or contacting the CEPA Luis Aguirre.

Unfortunately, I dont think this camino has been marked yet. If you are looking for other marked routes in Cuenca, you can find them here: Senderos de Cuenca

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mike,

There is a guide in Spanish that describes the camino between Cuenca and Ucles.
“Camino de la Orden de Santiago. Entre Uclés y Cuenca” by Javier Rodríguez Laguía.

Cuenca-Ucles is about 88,5 km and it is divided into 11 stages:

1. Cuenca-Jábaga,
2. Jábaga-Cólliga,
3. Cólliga-Villanueva de los Escuderos,
4. Villanueva de los Escuderos-Villar del Horno,
5. Villar del Horno-Naharros,
6. Naharros-Horcajada de la Torre,
7. Horcajada de la Torre- Valparaíso de Abajo,
8. Valparaíso de Abajo-Olmedilla del Campo,
9. Olmedilla del Campo-Carrascosa del Campo,
10. Carrascosa del Campo-Rozalén del Monte
11. Rozalén del Monte-Uclés.

The association behind it is Cuencleta Asociacion Cultural "Eslabon" from CEPA Luis Aguirre, Cuenca. You can find them in Facebook or contacting the CEPA Luis Aguirre.

Unfortunately, I dont think this camino has been marked yet. If you are looking for other marked routes in Cuenca, you can find them here: Senderos de Cuenca
Thank you very much for that. I think that is the same track I copied in from Wikiloc above. I cannot imagine taking 11 days to walk 88kms…. As always, lesser known tracks are often a challenge to find accommodation at the stops you want especially as I would want to only take about 3 days.

I am pretty sure you can find Casas Rurales and hostels as you walk through the land of the knights of Santiago.
If you are into classics you can make a detour to Segobriga Archeological Park in Saelices. Its ancient theatre hosts the Segobriga European Youth Greco-Latin Theatre Festival in April.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Camino de la Lana passes through Cuenca, avoids Madrid, and reaches the Francès at Burgos. Seems to be a bit wilderness-y.

The Camino de Uclés is a Camino to Santiago via Madrid, then Madrid Way to the Francès at Sahagún. More populous & civilised. And hiking-wise, that route through Madrid looks like the best possible option (with some better or worse options out the other side).

That Cuenca-Uclés route looks interesting as a local hiking path, but it does also seem to be rather zig-zag !! :p (not that I can see any much better route myself through that terrain, the obvious one having mostly been devoured by the motorway -- and I think I simply would not do it personally)

Maybe one could sort something out along the lines of Cuenca > Valdemurrada > Colliguilla > Cólliga > Villanueva de los Escuderos > Abia de la Obispalía > Huerta de la Obispalía > Torrejoncillo del Rey > bite the bullet of a nastier stretch of tarmac to Carrascosa del Campo > then Rozalén del Monte > Uclés ??

But really, I'd say that the Camino de Uclés really does just look like the most fun route down there, so adding some "difficult" pre-Camino stretch before it would not be my cup of tea ; but rather either the Lana or preferably the Uclés ...

Well, there is not such a thing as good or bad caminos...Someone wants to start the Ucles in Cuenca and there is a guide about it written by locals. That's all.

Well, there is not such a thing as good or bad caminos...Someone wants to start the Ucles in Cuenca and there is a guide about it written by locals. That's all.

Sure, I just said that I would not do it personally.

Pacem ...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Don’t want to walk the Lana as it terminates too far east and would then involve the Frances. At least with a Ucles/Madrid option I can then take the Invierno and avoid a lot of the Frances!

Don’t want to walk the Lana as it terminates too far east and would then involve the Frances. At least with a Ucles/Madrid option I can then take the Invierno and avoid a lot of the Frances!

Well if maximum Francès avoidance is your goal, you could wrangle your way onto the Via de la Plata so then just do the Astorga > Ponferrada section to the Invierno, by cutting across from Villeguillo via Olmedo to Medina del Campo ; switch to the Levante 'til Zamora ; then La Plata to Astorga.

hmmm going via Madrid really does open up a plethora of options !!

Sorry for this off-topic comment, but Mike, you also have the Levante option waiting there for you. Valencia to Zamora, where you can then take the Sanabrés and also avoid the Francés.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well if maximum Francès avoidance is your goal, you could wrangle your way onto the Via de la Plata so then just do the Astorga > Ponferrada section to the Invierno, by cutting across from Villeguillo via Olmedo to Medina del Campo ; switch to the Levante 'til Zamora ; then La Plata to Astorga.

hmmm going via Madrid really does open up a plethora of options !!
I walked the VdlP 4 years ago so do not want to repeat that. I prefer to walk new tracks with few people if I can.

Torin, is there a marked camino from Uclés to Madrid? The monastery does look very interesting.
A few forum posts with links and other information about this alternative.

Let me also just say, in response to one of your comments, that we are not proposing this route as making “more“ or “less” sense than any other Camino route. It is a marked alternative Camino, with an enthusiastic association, and there are a lot of forum members who are eager to try new routes. It would be great to hear back from someone walking from Uclés.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi
What's the story re albergues on ucles camino
Lar x dublin

Hi Lar,
Here is everything you need to know concerning the Camino de Ucles.

I recommend it. Where there's no pilgrim accommodation you can find very cheap hostales.
This camino is a gem.
Thanks re info
Plotting and planning, during Lockdown here in Dublin,
Hard when u can't travel, especially as this time last year I was half way on via de la plata,
Thanks again re info,
Can't wait to get out of Dodge

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.