Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Camino Variante espiritual

dorinaNZ

Year of past OR future Camino
Hi,
I am planning to do the Variante Espiritual this March, just before Holy Week.
Does anyone know when the boats start running? Does anyone have contact details and know how to make reservations?
Anyone else out there planning to do it at around this time?
Thanks
DorinaNZ

John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.

Michael; Camino-addicted

Take your time to enjoy a beautiful moment
A few Caminos
Next plan - Camino de Baztan
The boat departure times vary depending on the tide. So it can leave very early in the morning, or it is already early afternoon. The tickets for this we got without prior reservation in theAlbergue in Vilanova the Arousa.

Whether the boat is also already in late March in operation I do not know.

Here are some infos from 2019:

Monasterio de Armenteira (reservation needed)
Bed 25,00 €, common meal: 10,00 €; Reservation absolutely necessary!
Openings hours: 16.Sept. - 14. June.: Tuesday to Sunday 10:00 - 14:30 / 16:00 - 18:00
+34 886 211 700
+34 627 097 696
Email: info@monasteriodearmenteira.es

Albergue de Armenteira
32 beds a 6,00 €; Openings hours: 13:00 - 22:00
www.facebook.com/AlberguedeArmenteira

There are minimum two Restaurants - I don´t know if they have rooms for ent

Albergue Vilanova de Arousa
Albergue De Peregrinos Vilanova de Arousa
28 beds a 6,00 €; Opening hours: 14:00 - 22:00
+34 699 832 730
+34 699 831 731
Tickets for the boat to Pontesecures (17,00 €)

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I walked the Espiritual Variant in early May 2019 and took the boat ride and the hospitalera at Albergue de Armentiera make our reservations the day before. I had read a number of times that it was a very small boat and to wear rain gear to avoid getting wet. It was a large beautiful double decker ferry...boy was I surprised!
Screenshot_20210203-125439~2.png

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Camino Chrissy

Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
We had one time a rubber dinghy and the second time a larger boat with benches on it. But we got quite wet on it in some places.
Nothing so luxurious.
What month did you walk in...possibly an "off month" with very few pilgrims?

David Tallan

Veteran Member
The boat departure times vary depending on the tide. So it can leave very early in the morning, or it is already early afternoon. The tickets for this we got without prior reservation in theAlbergue in Vilanova the Arousa.

Whether the boat is also already in late March in operation I do not know.

Here are some infos from 2019:

Monasterio de Armenteira (reservation needed)
Bed 25,00 €, common meal: 10,00 €; Reservation absolutely necessary!
Openings hours: 16.Sept. - 14. June.: Tuesday to Sunday 10:00 - 14:30 / 16:00 - 18:00
+34 886 211 700
+34 627 097 696
Email: info@monasteriodearmenteira.es

Albergue de Armenteira
32 beds a 6,00 €; Openings hours: 13:00 - 22:00
www.facebook.com/AlberguedeArmenteira

There are minimum two Restaurants - I don´t know if they have rooms for ent

Albergue Vilanova de Arousa
Albergue De Peregrinos Vilanova de Arousa
28 beds a 6,00 €; Opening hours: 14:00 - 22:00
+34 699 832 730
+34 699 831 731
Tickets for the boat to Pontesecures (17,00 €)
Something that no one wants to hear, and perhaps needs no mention (but I will say anyways, in case that is not the case) is that we are living in a different world in 2021 than we were in 2019 and none of us can say what the situation will be like in March nor predict what businesses will be open and what their hours and practices will be. Absolutely, do your research and make your plans, but make them flexible enough so that you can cope when the situation is nothing like what you planned.

GIOVANBATTISTA

2015 2017
Hi,
Does anyone know when the boats start running? Does anyone have contact details and know how to make reservations?
Thanks
DorinaNZ
Hi Corina, a very good service is AMare Turismo Nautico +34650410322, it costs € 20.

IngridF

Intrepid Peregrina
2012, 2015 ,2017, 2019
I walked the Espiritual Variant in early May 2019 and took the boat ride and the hospitalera at Albergue de Armentiera make our reservations the day before. I had read a number of times that it was a very small boat and to wear rain gear to avoid getting wet. It was a large beautiful double decker ferry...boy was I surprised!
View attachment 92764

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Glamgrrl

Travel318
It seems they will bring in boats as the need is required. There were at least two boats when we went. Here’s a picture. You can get spray and it can be windy from the boat. If it was raining, you would get wet. Great camino day!

Attachments

• ECB0FD2C-AE78-4187-8CC8-16ABAA158CE9.jpeg
    ECB0FD2C-AE78-4187-8CC8-16ABAA158CE9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12

Michael; Camino-addicted

A few Caminos
Something that no one wants to hear, and perhaps needs no mention (but I will say anyways, in case that is not the case) is that we are living in a different world in 2021 than we were in 2019 ......
Of course you're right with your comment, I'm sure we both agree on that, as all forum members do.

I deliberately didn't comment on the reference to the travel time in a few weeks, because I don't want to "suppress" every question with the argument that there is a pandemic at the moment and the questioner doesn't actually want to walk a Camino now. That has destroyed so many nice threads.
The new information from here are still useful at a later date.

Each of us knows the great restrictions that rightly have to be observed everywhere in the world at the moment.

DorinaNZ, as you are from Madrid, you are at the source of the situation and the Corona rules in Spain and I am sure you will decide responsibly what is possible and when.

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Of course you're right with your comment, I'm sure we both agree on that, as all forum members do.

I deliberately didn't comment on the reference to the travel time in a few weeks, because I don't want to "suppress" every question with the argument that there is a pandemic at the moment and the questioner doesn't actually want to walk a Camino now. That has destroyed so many nice threads.
The new information from here are still useful at a later date.

Each of us knows the great restrictions that rightly have to be observed everywhere in the world at the moment.

DorinaNZ, as you are from Madrid, you are at the source of the situation and the Corona rules in Spain and I am sure you will decide responsibly what is possible and when.
I said "Absolutely, do your research and make your plans" in hopes that it would show that I am not trying to shut down the discussion. I just wanted to minimize expectations.

BedDavid

Frances, Portugues, Primativo, Baztán
I am a bit concerned that I have never seen any mention of lifejackets with reference to boats providing this service. So far as I know, under the law of the sea, licenced passenger boats should carry sufficient lifejackets for all passengers, and it is highly desirable that passengers should wear them.

Camino Chrissy

Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
The ferry I rode on provided life vests for everyone, but I don't recall them being worn. They are usually stored under the seats and mention is made of them on a loudspeaker. I encounter this same practice often.
I can not speak for dingys or small boats being used for transport.

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Michael; Camino-addicted

A few Caminos
During our first passage in the dinghy, we were asked to put on the life jackets beforehand.

Although the weather was very nice, the ride was quite rough😬 and sometimes it reminded us a bit of a speedboat race.

Mary-Rose O’Regan

Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre and Muxia, Celtic Camino, Camino Primitivo.
Hi,
Thanks
DorinaNZ
Hi there
i walked early March 2020 just before the lockdown. The ferry wasn’t operating but I got the dinghy across, there was no problem.... unfortunately the albergue in Armenteria was closed, with Covid-19 I don’t know if it would be open now though....and I don’t think the ferry runs in March..... then again I could be wrong.... it’s a beautiful Camino..... I will certainly walk it again... the best of luck.

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • March

Votes: 60 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 207 15.0%
  • May