• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Variante espiritual

dorinaNZ

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,
I am planning to do the Variante Espiritual this March, just before Holy Week.
Does anyone know when the boats start running? Does anyone have contact details and know how to make reservations?
Anyone else out there planning to do it at around this time?
Thanks
DorinaNZ

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The boat departure times vary depending on the tide. So it can leave very early in the morning, or it is already early afternoon. The tickets for this we got without prior reservation in theAlbergue in Vilanova the Arousa.

Whether the boat is also already in late March in operation I do not know.

Here are some infos from 2019:

Monasterio de Armenteira (reservation needed)
Bed 25,00 €, common meal: 10,00 €; Reservation absolutely necessary!
Openings hours: 16.Sept. - 14. June.: Tuesday to Sunday 10:00 - 14:30 / 16:00 - 18:00
+34 886 211 700
+34 627 097 696
Email: info@monasteriodearmenteira.es

Albergue de Armenteira
32 beds a 6,00 €; Openings hours: 13:00 - 22:00
www.facebook.com/AlberguedeArmenteira

There are minimum two Restaurants - I don´t know if they have rooms for ent

Albergue Vilanova de Arousa
Albergue De Peregrinos Vilanova de Arousa
28 beds a 6,00 €; Opening hours: 14:00 - 22:00
+34 699 832 730
+34 699 831 731
Tickets for the boat to Pontesecures (17,00 €)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the Espiritual Variant in early May 2019 and took the boat ride and the hospitalera at Albergue de Armentiera make our reservations the day before. I had read a number of times that it was a very small boat and to wear rain gear to avoid getting wet. It was a large beautiful double decker ferry...boy was I surprised!
Screenshot_20210203-125439~2.png

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The boat departure times vary depending on the tide. So it can leave very early in the morning, or it is already early afternoon. The tickets for this we got without prior reservation in theAlbergue in Vilanova the Arousa.

Whether the boat is also already in late March in operation I do not know.

Here are some infos from 2019:

Monasterio de Armenteira (reservation needed)
Bed 25,00 €, common meal: 10,00 €; Reservation absolutely necessary!
Openings hours: 16.Sept. - 14. June.: Tuesday to Sunday 10:00 - 14:30 / 16:00 - 18:00
+34 886 211 700
+34 627 097 696
Email: info@monasteriodearmenteira.es

Albergue de Armenteira
32 beds a 6,00 €; Openings hours: 13:00 - 22:00
www.facebook.com/AlberguedeArmenteira

There are minimum two Restaurants - I don´t know if they have rooms for ent

Albergue Vilanova de Arousa
Albergue De Peregrinos Vilanova de Arousa
28 beds a 6,00 €; Opening hours: 14:00 - 22:00
+34 699 832 730
+34 699 831 731
Tickets for the boat to Pontesecures (17,00 €)
Something that no one wants to hear, and perhaps needs no mention (but I will say anyways, in case that is not the case) is that we are living in a different world in 2021 than we were in 2019 and none of us can say what the situation will be like in March nor predict what businesses will be open and what their hours and practices will be. Absolutely, do your research and make your plans, but make them flexible enough so that you can cope when the situation is nothing like what you planned.

Hi,
Does anyone know when the boats start running? Does anyone have contact details and know how to make reservations?
Thanks
DorinaNZ
Hi Corina, a very good service is AMare Turismo Nautico +34650410322, it costs € 20.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Espiritual Variant in early May 2019 and took the boat ride and the hospitalera at Albergue de Armentiera make our reservations the day before. I had read a number of times that it was a very small boat and to wear rain gear to avoid getting wet. It was a large beautiful double decker ferry...boy was I surprised!
View attachment 92764

It seems they will bring in boats as the need is required. There were at least two boats when we went. Here’s a picture. You can get spray and it can be windy from the boat. If it was raining, you would get wet. Great camino day!

Attachments

• ECB0FD2C-AE78-4187-8CC8-16ABAA158CE9.jpeg
    ECB0FD2C-AE78-4187-8CC8-16ABAA158CE9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
Something that no one wants to hear, and perhaps needs no mention (but I will say anyways, in case that is not the case) is that we are living in a different world in 2021 than we were in 2019 ......
Of course you're right with your comment, I'm sure we both agree on that, as all forum members do.

I deliberately didn't comment on the reference to the travel time in a few weeks, because I don't want to "suppress" every question with the argument that there is a pandemic at the moment and the questioner doesn't actually want to walk a Camino now. That has destroyed so many nice threads.
The new information from here are still useful at a later date.

Each of us knows the great restrictions that rightly have to be observed everywhere in the world at the moment.

DorinaNZ, as you are from Madrid, you are at the source of the situation and the Corona rules in Spain and I am sure you will decide responsibly what is possible and when.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Of course you're right with your comment, I'm sure we both agree on that, as all forum members do.

I deliberately didn't comment on the reference to the travel time in a few weeks, because I don't want to "suppress" every question with the argument that there is a pandemic at the moment and the questioner doesn't actually want to walk a Camino now. That has destroyed so many nice threads.
The new information from here are still useful at a later date.

Each of us knows the great restrictions that rightly have to be observed everywhere in the world at the moment.

DorinaNZ, as you are from Madrid, you are at the source of the situation and the Corona rules in Spain and I am sure you will decide responsibly what is possible and when.
I said "Absolutely, do your research and make your plans" in hopes that it would show that I am not trying to shut down the discussion. I just wanted to minimize expectations.

I am a bit concerned that I have never seen any mention of lifejackets with reference to boats providing this service. So far as I know, under the law of the sea, licenced passenger boats should carry sufficient lifejackets for all passengers, and it is highly desirable that passengers should wear them.

The ferry I rode on provided life vests for everyone, but I don't recall them being worn. They are usually stored under the seats and mention is made of them on a loudspeaker. I encounter this same practice often.
I can not speak for dingys or small boats being used for transport.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
During our first passage in the dinghy, we were asked to put on the life jackets beforehand.

Although the weather was very nice, the ride was quite rough😬 and sometimes it reminded us a bit of a speedboat race.

Hi,
Thanks
DorinaNZ
Hi there
i walked early March 2020 just before the lockdown. The ferry wasn’t operating but I got the dinghy across, there was no problem.... unfortunately the albergue in Armenteria was closed, with Covid-19 I don’t know if it would be open now though....and I don’t think the ferry runs in March..... then again I could be wrong.... it’s a beautiful Camino..... I will certainly walk it again... the best of luck.

What month did you walk in...possibly an "off month" with very few pilgrims?
We walked in the month of May and there was the rubber boat with on board about 6 or 8 pilgrims It went very fast . We did some sightseeing to mussle or oysterbanks and a short stop in Catoira where are some replica Viking ships.
the ride took about one hour. A great experience after all.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back