• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Vasco del Interior Easter Week 2012

anniethenurse

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances.Vasco del Interior.Camino Finisterre& Muxia. Camino Portugues. Ruta del Ebro.
A route less walked indeed! I saw the first other peregrinos before La Puebla during my 7th day - the three women from Pays Vasco on their annual camino during the Easter Week! Coming to Santo Domingo de la Calzada was chocking - SO many pilgrims! But I got used to it pretty soon.

Stages
March 30 Irun - Oiartzun 10 km
March 31 Oiartzun - Andoain 25 km
April 1 Andoain - beasain 30 km
April 2 Beasain - Zegama 22 km
April 3 Zegama - San Adrian - Urbia - Aranzazu - Oñati 35?? km
April 4 Vitoria - La Puebla de Argazon 22 km
April 5 La puebla de Arganzon - Haro 31 km
April 6 Haro - Santo Domingo de la Calzada 20 km

Walking
Joe has very detailed notes on the walking conditions and hope we will get them soon. -There is always a way to avoid road walking because there are so many alternative routes. I don´t mind road walking so sometimes I just took the easy way. From Hernani to Zegama take the alternative route. The kilometres before Zegama there is a route in a very difficult terrain (didn´t do it). Mainly you are walking through green agricultural areas among cows and horses and locals working on the fields.

Albergues/Pensiones/Hotels
1 ) Irun Hotel Aitana €49 single room. Albergue de Peregrinos opened April1. Bars and restaurants, tiendas.
2 ) Oiarzun Pension €50 double room. Tel 658 931 891. Bars and restaurants, tiendas.
3 ) Andoain. Hospital del Pereginos. Donativo. No hospitalero. Note on the door how to get the key. Plenty of hot water (turn on). No kitchen. Clean, comfortable beds. Found three heaters that kept us warm. Lots of traffic outside. Many restaurants, bras, tiendas.
4 ) Beasain. Albergue. Donativo. Hospitalero Jose! Hot water. Clean, comfortable beds. Quiet location in the far end of the city. Many restaurants, bars, tiendas.
5 ) Zegama. Pension a suite + dinner €30 each. Very comfortable with heating. There is an albergue¨ in Beasain in a sportshall without hot water and very basic but FREE. You pick up the keys at the tourist info.
6 ) Vitoria- gasteiz. Hotel Dato 28. €36 single room. Clean, comfortable, heating, hot water, tv etc...Restaurants, bras, tiendas. Close to the camino. There is an albergue juvenil in Vitoria €22 and you have to buy sheets.
7 ) La Puebla de Arganzon. Casa de Peregrinos.Donativo. No hospitalero. Call before and warn that you are coming. When I reached the bar and asked for the albergue they knew Annie from Sweden was coming. My co-peregrinas from Pays Vasco had informed them. Kitchen. Hot water. Beds OK. One heater from room to room. It was Easter week Thursday and the first time other peregrinas: three women from Pays Vasco and 6 from Malaga on their yearly walk.
8 ) Haro. Albergue de Peregrinos de Haro. No hospitalero. Hard to find so the Municipal Police drove me there. instructions on the gate, you have to make a telphone call and somebody comes and registeres you and lets you in. The same 10 peregrinas as company.

Weather
The 4 first days were sunny and warm. The fifth day on the San Adrian was foggy, rainy, misty with no sight. We got lost on the mountains. To make a long story short we made it down to a village - no idea where we were and had to walk another 10 km to Oñati to the bus stop to take us Vitoria.I continued walking from Vitoria but Joe took a taxi one step back to walk the etapa we missed. The last three days were more rainy and before Santo Domingo a thunderstrom with heavy rain and it was hailing. too.
Other pilgrims
We didn´t see hardly any other pilgrims. Due to Easter week some pilgrims from Spain during two nights. There is hardly nowhere sellos if you would like to collect some. No pilgrim´s menu but the food was delicious. A route less travelled.

Guides
1) The on-line guide by CSJ http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm donativo - detailed and very usable.

2) http://tourism.euskadi.net/contenidos/i ... INGLES.pdf I got this one when I walked to the albergue in Irun and it is in Spanish with nice elevation chatrs and maps foer the Northern Routes.

3) http://www.guides-cheminsdecompostelle. ... rian-1.htm in French and if you know French a very good guide book.

4) http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los ... ago/vasco/

The seventh day you have to make you choice between Santo Domingo de la Calzada or Burgos. The parting of the ways is just after Estavillo. http://www.mundicamino.com/rutas.cfm?id=59 http://www.caminosantiagoviadebayona.com/

I hope some of you decides to walk this wonderful route in the agricultural and green Pays Vasco.

annie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Attachments

• Bild 20.png
    Bild 20.png
    187 KB · Views: 764
  • Bild 22.png
    Bild 22.png
    394.3 KB · Views: 759
beautiful!

Attachments

• Bild 2.png
    Bild 2.png
    475.6 KB · Views: 739
  • Bild 10.png
    Bild 10.png
    384 KB · Views: 736
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A route less walked indeed! I saw the first other peregrinos before La Puebla during my 7th day - the three women from Pays Vasco on their annual camino during the Easter Week! Coming to Santo Domingo de la Calzada was chocking - SO many pilgrims! But I got used to it pretty soon.

Stages
March 30 Irun - Oiartzun 10 km
March 31 Oiartzun - Andoain 25 km
April 1 Andoain - beasain 30 km
April 2 Beasain - Zegama 22 km
April 3 Zegama - San Adrian - Urbia - Aranzazu - Oñati 35?? km
April 4 Vitoria - La Puebla de Argazon 22 km
April 5 La puebla de Arganzon - Haro 31 km
April 6 Haro - Santo Domingo de la Calzada 20 km

Walking
Joe has very detailed notes on the walking conditions and hope we will get them soon. -There is always a way to avoid road walking because there are so many alternative routes. I don´t mind road walking so sometimes I just took the easy way. From Hernani to Zegama take the alternative route. The kilometres before Zegama there is a route in a very difficult terrain (didn´t do it). Mainly you are walking through green agricultural areas among cows and horses and locals working on the fields.

Albergues/Pensiones/Hotels
1 ) Irun Hotel Aitana €49 single room. Albergue de Peregrinos opened April1. Bars and restaurants, tiendas.
2 ) Oiarzun Pension €50 double room. Tel 658 931 891. Bars and restaurants, tiendas.
3 ) Andoain. Hospital del Pereginos. Donativo. No hospitalero. Note on the door how to get the key. Plenty of hot water (turn on). No kitchen. Clean, comfortable beds. Found three heaters that kept us warm. Lots of traffic outside. Many restaurants, bras, tiendas.
4 ) Beasain. Albergue. Donativo. Hospitalero Jose! Hot water. Clean, comfortable beds. Quiet location in the far end of the city. Many restaurants, bars, tiendas.
5 ) Zegama. Pension a suite + dinner €30 each. Very comfortable with heating. There is an albergue¨ in Beasain in a sportshall without hot water and very basic but FREE. You pick up the keys at the tourist info.
6 ) Vitoria- gasteiz. Hotel Dato 28. €36 single room. Clean, comfortable, heating, hot water, tv etc...Restaurants, bras, tiendas. Close to the camino. There is an albergue juvenil in Vitoria €22 and you have to buy sheets.
7 ) La Puebla de Arganzon. Casa de Peregrinos.Donativo. No hospitalero. Call before and warn that you are coming. When I reached the bar and asked for the albergue they knew Annie from Sweden was coming. My co-peregrinas from Pays Vasco had informed them. Kitchen. Hot water. Beds OK. One heater from room to room. It was Easter week Thursday and the first time other peregrinas: three women from Pays Vasco and 6 from Malaga on their yearly walk.
8 ) Haro. Albergue de Peregrinos de Haro. No hospitalero. Hard to find so the Municipal Police drove me there. instructions on the gate, you have to make a telphone call and somebody comes and registeres you and lets you in. The same 10 peregrinas as company.

Weather
The 4 first days were sunny and warm. The fifth day on the San Adrian was foggy, rainy, misty with no sight. We got lost on the mountains. To make a long story short we made it down to a village - no idea where we were and had to walk another 10 km to Oñati to the bus stop to take us Vitoria.I continued walking from Vitoria but Joe took a taxi one step back to walk the etapa we missed. The last three days were more rainy and before Santo Domingo a thunderstrom with heavy rain and it was hailing. too.
Other pilgrims
We didn´t see hardly any other pilgrims. Due to Easter week some pilgrims from Spain during two nights. There is hardly nowhere sellos if you would like to collect some. No pilgrim´s menu but the food was delicious. A route less travelled.

Guides
1) The on-line guide by CSJ http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm donativo - detailed and very usable.

2) http://tourism.euskadi.net/contenidos/i ... INGLES.pdf I got this one when I walked to the albergue in Irun and it is in Spanish with nice elevation chatrs and maps foer the Northern Routes.

3) http://www.guides-cheminsdecompostelle. ... rian-1.htm in French and if you know French a very good guide book.

4) http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los ... ago/vasco/

The seventh day you have to make you choice between Santo Domingo de la Calzada or Burgos. The parting of the ways is just after Estavillo. http://www.mundicamino.com/rutas.cfm?id=59 http://www.caminosantiagoviadebayona.com/

I hope some of you decides to walk this wonderful route in the agricultural and green Pays Vasco.

annie

Dear Annie,
This is a very useful summary!
Thanks,
Erika

Dear Annie,
This is a very useful summary!
Thanks,
Erika

Hi, Erika!

Do you have any idea when you want to walk this route? It's on my wish list also, together with extension on Frances (to Leon), San Salvador, Primitivo and CF Again + Fisterra of course.

Ultreia!

Hi, Erika!

Do you have any idea when you want to walk this route? It's on my wish list also, together with extension on Frances (to Leon), San Salvador, Primitivo and CF Again + Fisterra of course.

Ultreia!
Hola:)
I would like to go in September. My plan is stay one or two days in Bilbao, then I would strat my way from Irún to Burgos more or less, depend on my condition:) Unfortunately I haven't got enough time to go away (I have a few holiday).
And what about you?
Erika

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hola:)
I would like to go in September. My plan is stay one or two days in Bilbao, then I would strat my way from Irún to Burgos more or less, depend on my condition:) Unfortunately I haven't got enough time to go away (I have a few holiday).
And what about you?
Erika
Huh, I'm afraid I've spent all my money for Camino already. For this year that is :) Tomorrow it'll be 2 weeks after my return from Camino de Madrid, CF (Sahagun - Ponferrada), Camino de Invierno and to Fisterra. I was hoping for mentioned combination for next year...

Ultreia!

Huh, I'm afraid I've spent all my money for Camino already. For this year that is :) Tomorrow it'll be 2 weeks after my return from Camino de Madrid, CF (Sahagun - Ponferrada), Camino de Invierno and to Fisterra. I was hoping for mentioned combination for next year...

Ultreia!
Your route for this year could be beautiful....I am envy:)
I have never been in Camino, so I am very excited now. That's a pity that you won't come...but next year!:)
After my way we could share our experiences.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.