• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Vasco — leaving from Irún on June 5

peregrina2000

Staff member
What was originally the Vasco 6 has split and dwindled until now I am planning to meet up with only one pal in Irún to walk the Vasco to Santo Domingo, then get over to Aguilar de Campoo for the Olvidado, and then onto the Invierno into Santiago in early July. As my camino buddy Alun says, “the more the merrier.” I think he means that he is hoping that he will have someone other than me to walk with! Anyway, if there are forum members who are tempted by these caminos, let me know and maybe we can meet up. Our first few days from Irún will, if the weather is good to us, we will take mountain alternatives to the Vasco with a lot of elevation gain. I think @Bad Pilgrim may coincide at some point, but I am not sure.

Lst year we had 14 who met up in Almería to start the Mozárabe, what about this year in Irún for the Vasco?

Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh how I would love to! But finances say no unfortunately.

Please tell us all about it though!

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A bit more explanation — The mountain alternatives are only days 2 and 3 and then we will be back on the Vasco proper. And we won’t take the route (called the Saiatz alternative) if the weather is iffy. After the Vasco, there are some other segments I am hoping to walk as well, just in case anyone out there is itching to get walking. From Santo Domingo where the Vasco ends, I will take a bus to Aguilar de Campoo on the Olvidado and from there walk to Ponferrada. This will give me the chance to walk Ender’s new alternatives (more mountains!!). In Ponferrada, the Valley of Silence up to Peñalba de Santiago, and then over to as Médulas and on the Invierno to Santiago. I think that in comparison with the first part of my camino this year, the Invierno will be mobbed!

I do love walking alone, but have very much enjoyed every single opportunity I have had to meet up with other forum members! Ben camino, Laurie

That sounds like a fantastic Camino combo, Laurie - wish I could join you for some of it! Looking forward to your posts as I love the idea of the Vasco + mountain alternatives. I know it's daft to be thinking about future Caminos when I haven't yet walked my 2019 one ........ but I can't help myself 😊

What was originally the Vasco 6 has split and dwindled until now I am planning to meet up with only one pal in Irún to walk the Vasco to Santo Domingo, then get over to Aguilar de Campoo for the Olvidado, and then onto the Invierno into Santiago in early July. As my camino buddy Alun says, “the more the merrier.” I think he means that he is hoping that he will have someone other than me to walk with! Anyway, if there are forum members who are tempted by these caminos, let me know and maybe we can meet up. Our first few days from Irún will, if the weather is good to us, we will take mountain alternatives to the Vasco with a lot of elevation gain. I think @Bad Pilgrim may coincide at some point, but I am not sure.

Lst year we had 14 who met up in Almería to start the Mozárabe, what about this year in Irún for the Vasco?

Buen camino, Laurie

Well mathematics are not my strength… I just calculated that I will hit the Invierno around July 22, so I don't think we will run into each other after all…

You will have to pave the way for me, and leave a good word about me in the hostales :OP

/BP

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My planned departure on June 5th with Laurie and Alun has been cancelled :(.
My flight was booked and I was to join them till Santiago but while walking the Lana this past month I received a call from the breeder of my future pup asking me if I was interested in a litter to be born around the end of April, that someone on the waiting list had dropped out. I just couldn't say no. Mom has delivered and in June I will have an Australian Labradoodle, a new walking mate:).

Sometimes plans change so I wish Laurie, Alun and whomever else joins their team a lovely Camino.

p.s. on the bright side Vueling contacted me to change the time of my flight and if it didn't suit me I could change the date of the flight 15 days back or forward! Who knows, maybe I can swing a few weeks on the Norte before I pick my pup.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Buen camino, Laurie
Buen Camino Laurie. I’m sure you will have a marvelous time -and I look forward to your play by play

Quick question: - Is the Vasco route the more hilly alternative to the Costa route starting in Irun????

Quick question: - Is the Vasco route the more hilly alternative to the Costa route starting in Irun????

No, the Vasco route is its own camino, starting in Irún and going through the Basque Country till either Burgos or Santo Domingo de la Calzada, depending on which alternative you take. I am not 100% sure, but am likely to take the route to Santo Domingo. But I may change my mind once I am en route.

Bob, take a look at Gronze to get a general idea. https://www.gronze.com/camino-vasco

Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks I will do so. If it is the one I am thinking about it is very hilly.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That sounds like a fantastic Camino combo, Laurie - wish I could join you for some of it! Looking forward to your posts as I love the idea of the Vasco + mountain alternatives. I know it's daft to be thinking about future Caminos when I haven't yet walked my 2019 one ........ but I can't help myself 😊
I knoow! I can't help myself either, but I am not a Camino addict...nooo, never! 😊

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Me neither Nuala,
Got to stop finding all these new caminos.
June 25th we are on the Invierno
Now just thinking about the Olvidado.....and today added the Vasco..now, just to get "himself" on board!
Wonder if we can get to walk these next year before too many others are tempted by the photos and descriptions!!

Down to 6 days to departure day. Based on Michael’s report about his experience on the Saiatz, I have been trying to contact anyone in the País Vasco that might have more info on the Saiatz alternative and its current conditions. Hiking federations, mountain clubs, trip organizers, offices of tourism. So far nothing, just a few responses wishing me good luck and buen camino!

The current thinking is that when we get to the Hernani tourist office, where there is some info available on Saiatz according to Michael, we will do our best to make a good decision based on what they can tell us. I won’t be alone, and this route is never too far from one village or another. So with our GPS tracks and our phones, I’m not worried. Fingers crossed that we figure out this mountain trail!!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back