• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Via de la Plata Spreadsheet - Distances, Albergues (w/ google map links) & Notes

Daniel Beaumont

Walked the VDLP, Frances, Portuguese and Norte.
Time of past OR future Camino
Hey guys,

I am currently walking the Via de la Plata and before I set off I created a spreadsheet to track and manage my journey. The spreadsheet has been very useful for planning my journey, and I'd like to share it here too for those who plan to walk the Via de la Plata. I missed out a few small towns, but all the distances are correct (I took them from the Wise Pilgrim guidebook) and the links to the Albergue Google Map listings also work.

Enjoy and let me know what you think. Feel free to modify it as you wish!

Here's the donwloadable link to it on my Google Drive:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sEBFJDnM7VnhDh7qp-gSQkLvKJvK3laNHYaGxNJnl2s/edit?usp=sharing

All the best,

Dan

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hey guys,

I am currently walking the Via de la Plata and before I set off I created a spreadsheet to track and manage my journey. The spreadsheet has been very useful for planning my journey, and I'd like to share it here too for those who plan to walk the Via de la Plata. I missed out a few small towns, but all the distances are correct (I took them from the Wise Pilgrim guidebook) and the links to the Albergue Google Map listings also work.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sEBFJDnM7VnhDh7qp-gSQkLvKJvK3laNHYaGxNJnl2s/edit?usp=sharing

All the best,

Dan
Thanks for sharing this Dan. I will be combining the VdlP & the Camino Mozarabe next year so this info will be helpful in planning.
However, I really should concentrate on finishing the VF first (currently in Lucca).... 🤭 😁
Happy trails & best wishes for the rest of your walk 🎒 👟
👣 🌏

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hey guys,

All the best,

Dan
Dan - many thanks looks great. Seems some of your stages were rather long 51 km in one day???

That's a great spreadsheet with lots of good information.

However, as a definitive source of route information for the VDLP, it has an important flaw ☹ - there are several towns missing that would make a big difference to people who want to walk shorter distances. For example El Real de la Jarra (in your stage 3), Casar de Caceres (stage 9), Valverde de Valdelacasa (stage 13). I suggest that people compare it to Godescalco trip planner, just to pick up those intermediate places. It is good to know where the villages are, even without accommodation, because at least there is likely to be help if a person gets in trouble.

Buen camino. I am enjoying following your reports!

That's a great spreadsheet with lots of good information.

However, as a definitive source of route information for the VDLP, it has an important flaw ☹ - there are several towns missing that would make a big difference to people who want to walk shorter distances. For example El Real de la Jarra (in your stage 3), Casar de Caceres (stage 9), Valverde de Valdelacasa (stage 13). I suggest that people compare it to Godescalco trip planner, just to pick up those intermediate places. It is good to know where the villages are, even without accommodation, because at least there is likely to be help if a person gets in trouble.

Buen camino. I am enjoying following your reports!
Yep, I am aware of that. I made the spreadsheet for myself and my own route. People should adapt this to their route if they want to use it. They can add rows and adjust the distances :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I made the spreadsheet for myself and my own route. People should adapt this to their route if they want to use it.
I understand that. I do the same thing myself! I am just trying to dispel the common misconception that long distances are necessary, and when such a good otherwise comprehensive list misses those key places, people might not realize it.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

All the best,

Dan
Hi Dan, a quick question. How well marked is the Via De La Plata. Is it as good as the Frances which I just completed in May?

I can only speak for the Ourense-Santiago stretch but it was impossible to get lost there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Dan, a quick question. How well marked is the Via De La Plata. Is it as good as the Frances which I just completed in May?
Hey,

Yes it's pretty well marked. My general approach: follow the arrows, and if i get confused or lost, i look at the 'Wise Pilgrim Via de la Plata" app which has an excellent GPS map which is ALWAYS right. I have only got lost once, my fault - using this combo.

I understand that. I do the same thing myself! I am just trying to dispel the common misconception that long distances are necessary, and when such a good otherwise comprehensive list misses those key places, people might not realize it.
Yep totally right,

Once i finish my Camino i will add the towns i missed out to make it fully comprehensive.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey,

Yes it's pretty well marked. My general approach: follow the arrows, and if i get confused or lost, i look at the 'Wise Pilgrim Via de la Plata" app which has an excellent GPS map which is ALWAYS right. I have only got lost once, my fault - using this combo.
Thanks for the info.

Very useful information. I am also planning to walk the VDLP in October starting in late September from Seville. I will use your spreadsheet to help in firming up my plan. I look forward to your revisions after you complete your journey.

Nice to hear that you are also planning VDLP in Oct. I will probably start around Oct 3 from Salamanca.

So it would be doable walking 15 to 20 KMS per day? Are there accommodations along the way other than albergues?Like a casa rural, pensión, hostal, or anything with private rooms?

Hey guys,

All the best,

Dan
Hi Dan, your spreadsheet is really useful. Thanks for sharing. I’m planning on walking vLP in September/ October. I’m walking with a friend who is in her 70s. Between us we have walked 10 Caminos and walked the Primitivo together last year. We got on like a house on fire, both of us being very low maintenance. The thing is we don’t walk very far each day. On the Primitivo between 15 and 20 k was the norm. We also love nature. It is our church. Given these two factors which half of vLP would you recommend? Before Salamanca or after?
Cheers
Helen

Hi Dan, your spreadsheet is really useful. Thanks for sharing. I’m planning on walking vLP in September/ October. I’m walking with a friend who is in her 70s. Between us we have walked 10 Caminos and walked the Primitivo together last year. We got on like a house on fire, both of us being very low maintenance. The thing is we don’t walk very far each day. On the Primitivo between 15 and 20 k was the norm. We also love nature. It is our church. But we don’t like strong sun, preferring shaded walking. Given these three factors (can I really claim to be low maintenance?) which half of vLP would you recommend? Before Salamanca or after?
Cheers
Helen

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back