• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camino via de la plata starting from sevilla in february, 20

piogaw

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances (05/06 2012) sjpdp-sdc; vdlp/camino sanabrea (02/03 2013) sevilla-sdc; hospitalero sdc june 2013, august-september 2013; caminho portugues (03 2014) lisboa-sdc
a happy and prosperous new year to everybody.
i will be walking el camino de la plata hopefully starting the first week of february from sevilla with rest days in sevilla, caceres, salamanca, zamora and ourense. i will be coming from london and have no time limitation.
i have noticed quite a few of my fellows peligrinos/peligrinas have walked this route in the winter time. i will appreciate any advice, guidance, recommendations from anyone of you. i am more worry about the terrain and the elements. i would be very interested as to what to bring in terms of clothing and equipment as i want to keep the weight of my backpack to a minimum without freezing during my walk. i know walking in the spring is not the same as walking in the winter. i am especially as to albergues that are closed dowm during this time. i am budgeting 6 weeks of walking, not counting the rest days. also, what to pack for the walk in the winter.
a little bit about myself. i live in london and am retired. i am 69 and in good health. i have never walked the el camino in the winter time. however, i have walked the el camino frances this past may/june from st jean pied de port to santiago de compostela in 31 days.
thank you all in advance. god bless, pio.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked from Sevilla last year starting in late February. For warmth I brought a fleece jacket and a very light weight long sleeved wool shirt. I also had silk long underwear. I may have brought a lightweight wool hat but I don't remember having to use it. I brought a very lightweight rain jacket. I kept my pack to between 6-7 kg. As it turned out, for the most part it was unseasonably warm while I was there. I don't recall being cold while walking but in the evenings at the albergues it was often very cold (little to no heat). I had very little rain. It did not rain at all until I got to Salamanca and then only a day or two. It is good that you have unlimited time. I had a pretty tight schedule so I couldn't take any rest days which I would have enjoyed. I loved this camino but it was a rather tough one for me.

I'll be doing the VDLP in February as well. No time limit either. I'm planning on bringing waterproof clothing head to toe including gore-tex boots and even a pair of Sealskinz waterproof socks just in case. I think in the north and in the mountains rain and wind will be inevitable. Insulation will be long underwear, fleece and a down jacket to wear under the Gore-Tex shell. I've read reports of people in snowstorms on the VDLP in winter.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I rode this in April, and Spain had a very late winter last year. It was very warm down south, but by halfway, it was cold, we had snow, sleet, hail and rain !!!

Be prepared !!!

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back